• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Generation Kill

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Anyone else watch the first episode the other night? Thoughts?

I thought it was pretty good ... so far at least, I remain skeptical.

Lobster

Good show. Thanks for posting that link bluesig. We don't get HBO at school its brutal....

bluesig1

sure thing
None
After watching it, I don't think it was the full episode, a little more searching is required.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
A couple of weeks ago, I went to the premier at the National Press Club here in DC. (It pays to know people...). It was very interesting to hear David Simon (the producer, same guy who did The Wire) talk about the making of the show, as well as to hear from Evan Wright (the author). I've always thought the book was one of the better first person accounts of OIF 1, or of the life of a grunt in general. We actually saw episode 2 at the premier, and it was very well done - I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Interesting factoid: It cost about $50M for the 7 episodes.

The crowd at the premier was from the Washington intellectual set (the event was co-sponsored by Brookings), and there was much giggling and twittering among the audience whenever some of the more "earthy" aspects of living in the field came up - like the constant concern with where to take a sh!t. I've rarely felt the sharp separation between the "elite" and the military more than I did there that night.

From the "And you're a reporter?" files: Jamie McIntyre, CNN's Pentagon correspondent, was there. If you recall, the book and the show are about an embedded journalist (Evan Wright) who accompanies a Force Recon platoon during the early days of the war. Evan was there that evening, and spoke at length. The second episode featured the actor who played Evan quite prominently in almost every scene. During the Q&A at the end, Mcintyre asked "Did you consider putting someone in the show to play the role of a journalist?" There was much a-flutter in the room, as he was apparently the only one who hadn't quite put 2 and 2 together. Neither David Simon nor Evan knew exactly how to answer, other than to say "Uhhh,,, that's kind of what the story was all about...." Mcintyre laughed it off, but I thought it was pretty telling...

I went up to David Simon at the end and said "Great show, but you didn't capture the overwhelming emphasis on jerking off that comes with living with Marines in the field..." His response? "Just wait - we've got a whole episode devoted to the subject!!" :icon_tong

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
"Did you consider putting someone in the show to play the role of a journalist?"

Awesome

I went up to David Simon at the end and said "Great show, but you didn't capture the overwhelming emphasis on jerking off that comes with living with Marines in the field..." His response? "Just wait - we've got a whole episode devoted to the subject!!" :icon_tong

Episode 4 is called "Combat Jack"......

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Saw the first episode. I liked it alot. I've read (and own) the book. If you're watching the show without having read the book, I suggest you go get it and read it.

Its not a very long or hard read at all.

The kicker is the Rudy Reyes plays himself. Once you read the book, you'll see that this comes as absolutely no suprise.

On that note, I went through SERE with a bunch of 1st Recon guys. All of the ones that knew the guys portrayed in Generation Kill idolized them (most of the duys I did SERE with were awaiting thier first deployment with the unit).

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
yah I turned a skeptical eye when I saw it come on.. as in they better not screw this one up. I was, however, pleasantly surprised... even the transition from old school cammies to diggies is accurate... as well as weapons and equipment. However, the antennas they were using weren't OE-254s for the COC (or any other antenna that I've seen).... thats my only discrepency :)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
yah I turned a skeptical eye when I saw it come on.. as in they better not screw this one up. I was, however, pleasantly surprised... even the transition from old school cammies to diggies is accurate... as well as weapons and equipment. However, the antennas they were using weren't OE-254s for the COC (or any other antenna that I've seen).... thats my only discrepency :)

I got angry when I saw P-51 B models with D-Day invasion stripes during Memphis Belle...when that was May '43 :) ...Of course that movie was littered with inaccuracies...still great movie. /Thread jack