• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gear from TBS

phrogpilot73

Is any of this crap(gear) from TBS useful during flight school?
Do you mean the stuff you turn back in? Or the stuff you bought? What crap specifically? I've got a pair of 1200 gram Thinsulate boots that I wore during D-Week and haven't worn them since (no - I'm not a hunter).

WTF_Over

I'm still in flight school, but have had no use for any such gear. Now if you plan on maybe going FAC, then I'm sure it'll come in handy again. I'm not a fan of throwing gear out just in case. I like having gear to hand off to others who may need it.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
All the issued gear will get turned in when you graduate TBS, of course. I packed all the other stuff like pubs, notebooks, warming layers, socks, tacti-cool gloves, etc into a plastic 18 gallon storage container and brought it with me.

I might not ever use it again, but right now it's serving as a hasty computer desk until I find a proper replacement, and at the very least it will be more weight for my DITY move to Pensacola, much like the 300lb Olympic barbell set I recently acquired.

phrogpilot73

I'm still in flight school, but have had no use for any such gear. Now if you plan on maybe going FAC, then I'm sure it'll come in handy again. I'm not a fan of throwing gear out just in case. I like having gear to hand off to others who may need it.
For what it's worth, by the time you go on a FAC tour - all new cool shit will be out. And your stuff from TBS will be moldy. I say get rid of it (except for a handheld GPS if you got one).

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I'd keep all that OD under armor you spent $100 on. You never know when that will come in handy. As for all those Write in the Rain notebooks...probably not.

phrogpilot73

I'd keep all that OD under armor you spent $100 on. You never know when that will come in handy. As for all those Write in the Rain notebooks...probably not.
Keep the Write in the Rain. You'll need 'em on a FAC tour. TRUST me.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
We Marines liked to have it laying around our apartments to impress the squids when they came over to drink and/or study.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
If you mean cold weather gear you bought, why on earth would you throw it away? Unless you never plan on wanting to be warm in a cold place again.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Keep the Write in the Rain. You'll need 'em on a FAC tour. TRUST me.

Roger. However if they're like mine they're all chocked full of doodling and chicken scratch from pretending to write during all those orders and debriefs. Pretty useless.

On another note, the naval correspondence manual and PES manual is nice to have in a handy place.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Good gouge here. Here's what is going to happen when Capt Aeroe get his FAC orders. I took it upon myself last week to go through all of my 782 gear that I had accumulated throughout the years, and I realized that after four years of school, it had become super outmoded. Almost none of it is issued anymore except for maybe canteens.

Any 782 gear you have left over will probably be outmoded before you get to use it again, and you'll probably lose all the little things like notebooks and such in your myriad PCS moves.

My recommendation is that you put your investment to work and go infantry.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Got to love a "Gear Queer” My SPC's favorite saying when it comes to gear. I have kept all my old gear since 2000 not much of it came in handy at TBS, but some has. Hopefully in a few years maybe some of it will still be “Cool” and useful if I every become a FAC.