• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY2018 O-4 Board

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Just curious (not up for LCDR for a while), but what exactly does SECNAV do with it other than approve it? Are there briefings on the results and manning? Can he say "screw it, do it over" if he wants?

I don't think that's ever happened. It probably has more to do with adjusting things such as the promotion phasing plan, e.g. who gets promoted throughout the year, and who waits until 1 September. My suspicion is that stuff is probably figured out by the time it gets to SECNAV.

Flyboy_D85

pilot
FY-18 O-4 results are out on BOL, the Selection Board Result page works, Congrats to everyone who made it.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Any big news? What's it looking like. Average results or was it another blood bath for Aviation?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Any big news? What's it looking like. Average results or was it another blood bath for Aviation?

I see a lot of above zone names on the list. Most of the folks up for it this year on my boat made it.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
To those who are on that list: congratulations

To those not on the list: congratulations

Enjoy your seps pay and start your exit strategy immediately if you haven't already.

What Treetop said. For those exiting, I would highly suggest start familiarizing yourself with SelRes. Pension, medical, flight hours, etc are all waiting for you there - and have you ever flown with a reservist who did not love coming in to fly!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Did they skip front office notification on BOL and just cut straight to releasing the ALNAV?

JEFE

None
Thought process: I knew FOSing and getting severance would have been too good to be true...
Well at least I'll get paid a little more for a couple years until I can get out...
wait, nope promotion phasing...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I see a lot of above zone names on the list. Most of the folks up for it this year on my boat made it.

More than a few below-below zone guys, too. Couple of guys picked up in my squadron who didn't even know they were eligible. Front office was surprised.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems to have sprung back from the fiascoes of a few years ago. And the lack of zone indicators in the tank seems to be having an effect, too. Which IMO is progress. If you're going to promote the record, promote the record.

Of course, "butts in seats" is going to probably sweep other structural flaws under the rug, but when has that not been the case?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The amazing thing, a few guys I know on the list that left their first sea tour without an EP.

I wonder if the swing is due to an increase in numbers or because dudes are spooked from the few previous years boards and went separate ways.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
More than a few below-below zone guys, too. Couple of guys picked up in my squadron who didn't even know they were eligible. Front office was surprised.
We'll see when the stats come out. Many people who think they were "sucked up" into a board were really just shifted back onto the "normal" schedule.

After they did the massive zone shift in 2009/10, they've shifted the zone back towards late summer grads a little bit each year. If you and your front office aren't paying attention when the zone mesg comes out in Dec, you may miss your high-water in Jan. "Normal" in-zone screening for O-4 is 9 years after you commissioned if you're a May/June grad. Probably only matters if you're still in your 1st sea tour, as I know a few folks who made O-4 entirely off their 1st sea high-water (I had 3 years of NOB going into the board).

Also, I understood that the IZ & AZ stamps have gone away, but the BZ stamp is staying. Am I wrong?