• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 STA-21 Message/Application

DLWN64

FY17 OCEANO, FY18/FY19/FY20 IP Applicant
Yup! Hoping they are released tomorrow. They were released the first Friday of October last year. Good luck everyone! This thread was a lot less active this year, I'm thinking there was a drop in the amount of people who applied this time around.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Yup! Hoping they are released tomorrow. They were released the first Friday of October last year. Good luck everyone! This thread was a lot less active this year, I'm thinking there was a drop in the amount of people who applied this time around.

I know right! Usually we have all kinds of people calling down to P-cola to check on when results will be released. haha. Very quiet this year.

piercem

I know right! Usually we have all kinds of people calling down to P-cola to check on when results will be released. haha. Very quiet this year.

Hitting a down couple weeks in work just in time for me to sit and stew all day waiting for results. I know it's a long shot as a non-nuclear applicant, but the nerves are still there.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Hitting a down couple weeks in work just in time for me to sit and stew all day waiting for results. I know it's a long shot as a non-nuclear applicant, but the nerves are still there.

Well after doing the math, I, along with many of my Shipmates, made rate with percentages lower than this program. That being said, there's def a chance. Keep your hopes up and don't stop applying if you really want it.

piercem

Is there somewhere to see how many people applied for however many spots there are for the various designators? I feel like I have a really competitive package in for Pilot, but if percentages are a hundredth of a percent then it's probably not a great shot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I mean not applying gives me a 0% chance of being selected so might as well.
I didn't say you shouldn't apply. I said it's statistically your worst option. IMO, your efforts are better spent completing your degree through whatever means you have available, then apply for direct accession via OCS. Second best option is to get out and use your GI bill/NROTC/OCS.

piercem

I didn't say you shouldn't apply. I said it's statistically your worst option. IMO, your efforts are better spent completing your degree through whatever means you have available, then apply for direct accession via OCS. Second best option is to get out and use your GI bill/NROTC/OCS.

Right, I applied in parallel with being enrolled in classes through TA having already completed my AA.

CTI2

Is there somewhere to see how many people applied for however many spots there are for the various designators? I feel like I have a really competitive package in for Pilot, but if percentages are a hundredth of a percent then it's probably not a great shot.

A few months ago, I called the STA-21 office and asked this question. The woman I spoke to did tell me how many people applied to the Nursing option last year, since that was the option I was applying for. Only 9 people submitted (doesn't necessarily mean all 9 were even eligible and made it to the board). From what I can tell, people think STA-21 is extremely competitive for options other than Nuke, so they are less likely to apply. This means that your competition pool is smaller if you do apply.

In my opinion, you should apply for every program available to you that will get you to the desired end goal, but also continue working as hard as you can on your own just in case you are not selected for such programs.

Good luck!

-CTI1

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I cannot emphasize this enough. If your goal is to become an aviator of some type, STA-21 is statistically your worst option.
True, but for some Sailors it's the only option. IMO, when Sailors continue to apply after being a non-select for a few years in a row shows great persistence and dedication. I would hope this holds some weight to the board members for fleet OCS applications.

Regardless, I tell all my Sailors who aspire to be a Naval Officer to apply for STA-21 even if their odds for selection are nil primarily because of the experience. Completing the STA-21 application process is an accomplishment by itself. I know my STA-21 applications built a solid foundation for my OCS application after I finally graduated.

I have to say though, being a STA-21 alternate select two years in a row was a real punch to the gut.

exNavyOffRec

True, but for some Sailors it's the only option. IMO, when Sailors continue to apply after being a non-select for a few years in a row shows great persistence and dedication. I would hope this holds some weight to the board members for fleet OCS applications.

Regardless, I tell all my Sailors who aspire to be a Naval Officer to apply for STA-21 even if their odds for selection are nil primarily because of the experience. Completing the STA-21 application process is an accomplishment by itself. I know my STA-21 applications built a solid foundation for my OCS application after I finally graduated.

I have to say though, being a STA-21 alternate select two years in a row was a real punch to the gut.

I am sure some of the people here have sat those STA-21 boards, several years ago I was at a conference with an officer who sat the boards and like OCS boards it is all about best qualified of those at the board.

DLWN64

I agree 100%. My first year applying, I was really nervous during the two boards. Applying year after year has given me more confidence and now I look forward to the interviews. I feel that going through this process 4 times now has helped me in other aspects of my career as well.

Goodfou

I agree 100%. My first year applying, I was really nervous during the two boards. Applying year after year has given me more confidence and now I look forward to the interviews. I feel that going through this process 4 times now has helped me in other aspects of my career as well.

I agree that going through the process can help in other aspects of your career-the whole shoot for the stars, land on the moon thing. However, don’t forego your college classes to work on a STA-21 package. In four years you could have finished your degree and applied for OCS (With several more options and looks) by now.

DLWN64

In four years you could have finished your degree and applied for OCS (With several more options and looks) by now.

In four years? Absolutely not. I've been working on my degree for over 8 years and I'm just now approaching 77% complete. Sometimes I wish I could be at a command where the operational tempo is low enough that I could complete it faster. I'm at the point now that the remaining classes I cannot do online and I physically have to attend at times that are just not compatible with the ships schedule.