• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 STA-21 Message/Application

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Please ensure you read the message in its entirety.

Some tips/strategies:

1. Have an officer mentor. They can help you and come in the clutch if needed.

2. STA-21 continues to be a primary nuke program. If you are applying for the other options, be aware of how competitive it is.

3. Keep track of the deadlines. Time passes by quick.

4. Explain and defend why you want to be an officer AND designator of choice (Pilot, SWO, etc.).

5. Have other sets of eyes go through your application. Best of luck!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
305 board eligible huh? I don't have the message but when I applied in 2007 it was something like 700 people applied for 200 spots.

I wonder if they are going to open the throttle little this year given the changes for pilot/NFO age requirements.

Goodfou

Highly doubt it. Like guru said, this program is primarily a nuclear commissioning program. Pisses me off that they continue to have around 2 spots for each of a few other designators just to keep using it as a recruiting tool. “We even have a great enlisted commissioning program where we will send you to school while getting paid to get your degree.” Then we (COC) have to burst these Sailor’s bubbles with a big dose of reality that the program is nothing more than a glorified nuclear enlisted commissioning program.

Case in point, my buddy was the enlisted commissioning officer mentor during his disassociated on one of the CVNs. His SOY E5 (#1 of at least 500) had everything the program asks: College credit, good gpa, good scores, etc. He had the CO of the CVN across the pier chair her board and she received all 10s from everyone. Back in 07, she would be a shoe in...but now...sorry you aren’t a nuke.

Best advice that was given to me by my CO when I started applying for STA-21 back in 2011. “Stop wasting time on these shot in the dark programs and finish your degree with TA/GI bill.” ThAT is what I did and that is what I tell all my Sailors that tell me they are going to put in for STA-21.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Highly doubt it. Like guru said, this program is primarily a nuclear commissioning program. Pisses me off that they continue to have around 2 spots for each of a few other designators just to keep using it as a recruiting tool. “We even have a great enlisted commissioning program where we will send you to school while getting paid to get your degree.” Then we (COC) have to burst these Sailor’s bubbles with a big dose of reality that the program is nothing more than a glorified nuclear enlisted commissioning program.

Case in point, my buddy was the enlisted commissioning officer mentor during his disassociated on one of the CVNs. His SOY E5 (#1 of at least 500) had everything the program asks: College credit, good gpa, good scores, etc. He had the CO of the CVN across the pier chair her board and she received all 10s from everyone. Back in 07, she would be a shoe in...but now...sorry you aren’t a nuke.

Best advice that was given to me by my CO when I started applying for STA-21 back in 2011. “Stop wasting time on these shot in the dark programs and finish your degree with TA/GI bill.” ThAT is what I did and that is what I tell all my Sailors that tell me they are going to put in for STA-21.
The numbers agree with what you say. Typically 50 selectees total and 35 of them are nuclear. The remaining 15 are sprinkled across communities.

What they say in black and white is emphasis on academic potential. They will not risk sending candidates with “good” scores. If a sailor wants to be one of the 15 out of 305 eligible (top 5%), then they must have great scores.

Nukes often have those great scores what with the whole rain man thing and all. You are also correct in stating that it’s a big ECP for the nuclear navy. However for the rest of the fleet, the sailor has to be top 5% academically with the paper to prove leadership to get a sta-21 selection. Not wrong at all to steer a great sailor with good aptitude scores toward TA and OCS.

JukeboxEmperor

Wants into space
None

Amen. Before I left for OCS I put the word out to everyone in my department (AIMD) that my inbox was open if they ever had questions about trying to commission that the CCC couldn't answer. Unfortunately 90% of the queries are about STA-21, and it sucks having to tell them that submitting a package is better than nothing, but they're better off working to finish their degree or get shit hot and think about LDO. I wish it were better known that anything besides nuke stands about a snowball's chance in hell of getting picked up these days.

AROBLES93

Underdog
Amen. Before I left for OCS I put the word out to everyone in my department (AIMD) that my inbox was open if they ever had questions about trying to commission that the CCC couldn't answer. Unfortunately 90% of the queries are about STA-21, and it sucks having to tell them that submitting a package is better than nothing, but they're better off working to finish their degree or get shit hot and think about LDO. I wish it were better known that anything besides nuke stands about a snowball's chance in hell of getting picked up these days.
Definitely great advice. Although it is unfortunate it is true.

exNavyOffRec

The numbers agree with what you say. Typically 50 selectees total and 35 of them are nuclear. The remaining 15 are sprinkled across communities.

What they say in black and white is emphasis on academic potential. They will not risk sending candidates with “good” scores. If a sailor wants to be one of the 15 out of 305 eligible (top 5%), then they must have great scores.

Nukes often have those great scores what with the whole rain man thing and all. You are also correct in stating that it’s a big ECP for the nuclear navy. However for the rest of the fleet, the sailor has to be top 5% academically with the paper to prove leadership to get a sta-21 selection. Not wrong at all to steer a great sailor with good aptitude scores toward TA and OCS.

They should change the name to NUKE-21 :D

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The program is definitely a shadow of its former self. I have a friend who was in Nuke school back in '04 and got selected for pilot option same time as I was. Doubt that would ever happen these days.

nicken

I tried this program twice when I was active. I thought I was pretty competitive but the people who usually get selected from this program (besides nuke) were much more competitive than I was. After 2 tries, I thought about reenlist and giving another shot but I decided to get out and finish my degree with the GI Bill and aim for OCS, which I still think probably the smartest decision I've ever made because OCS has more seats and frequencies while the STA-21 happens only once a year and is ridiculously competitive. I still recommend to try while you're active but if you don't make it and still want to be an officer, I highly recommend to follow my routine unless you're thinking about LDO or CWO.

Last edited:

ShamrockDoc

305 board eligible huh? I don't have the message but when I applied in 2007 it was something like 700 people applied for 200 spots.

I wonder if they are going to open the throttle little this year given the changes for pilot/NFO age requirements.

Do you have any more information on this? I saw the changes to commissioning by 32, but I had an officer say that Pilots and NFO are more in demand these days. I'm trying to go for either option and plan to have a package fully completed by early spring to get it submitted. Any tips and pointers would be great as well.

Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Do you have any more information on this? I saw the changes to commissioning by 32, but I had an officer say that Pilots and NFO are more in demand these days. I'm trying to go for either option and plan to have a package fully completed by early spring to get it submitted. Any tips and pointers would be great as well.

Thanks.

They always say Pilots and NFO's are in more demand, but the selection numbers are always about the same, realistically thie STA-21 program is to find nukes, for years 35 of the 50 selected are nukes.

Your best plan is to finish your degree and apply OCS.

ShamrockDoc

If STA-21 falls through, I'll keep at it and apply for OCS as a plan B. However, until I complete my bachelors I plan to apply, and apply again; my motto is "Make them say no."

Thanks for the insight!

ShamrockDoc

I'm finished with my associates and about 1/3rd through my bachelors. By the time my package is in, I should be a little over half way through it, if not further. I did some math earlier today and if I continue at my current pace I will be done by mid 2021 or early 2022, depending on if I triple up classes again.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Is anyone waiting on these results? I helped one of my Sailors prepare his application and I'm feeling anxious for him!! Good luck to all!