• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY18 STA-21 Applicants

MHasty

FY18 STA-21 CEC Applicant
Hey everyone,
I have found this site extremely helpful in the last year and decided to contribute as opposed to just "leach" off of everyone one else's input and questions. I am in the process of assembling a package for the first time for the CEC option. I have most of my portion complete and am working on a rough draft for my CO's endorsement.....and, of course, my personal statement changes every time me or someone else looks at it. I recently had some great CEC Officers volunteer to do a mock board with me and found it an incredibly helpful learning experience. If there are any prior CEC selectees/alternates on here that are willing to provide any advice on what it takes to be selected, I appreciate any advice. I know the quota will most likely be 1/1 again this year, but I have 0% chance if I don't try. I know this is my first time, but if anyone has any questions about my process so far, I am more than happy to help out. (even the competition). I have a CEC Deputy Accessions Officer mentoring me and an admin Officer(STA-21 selected) handling my package. They have provided ample suggestions/input that I have no problem passing along.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this sight and I wish you all luck!

MHasty

Hey everyone,
I have found this site extremely helpful in the last year and decided to contribute as opposed to just "leach" off of everyone one else's input and questions. I am in the process of assembling a package for the first time for the CEC option. I have most of my portion complete and am working on a rough draft for my CO's endorsement.....and, of course, my personal statement changes every time me or someone else looks at it. I recently had some great CEC Officers volunteer to do a mock board with me and found it an incredibly helpful learning experience. If there are any prior CEC selectees/alternates on here that are willing to provide any advice on what it takes to be selected, I appreciate any advice. I know the quota will most likely be 1/1 again this year, but I have 0% chance if I don't try. I know this is my first time, but if anyone has any questions about my process so far, I am more than happy to help out. (even the competition). I have a CEC Deputy Accessions Officer mentoring me and an admin Officer(STA-21 selected) handling my package. They have provided ample suggestions/input that I have no problem passing along.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this sight and I wish you all luck!
btw....no negativity intended with my "leach" comment.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Hey everyone,

Crush the SAT/ACT! Do you have an associate degree? That is also very important to complete.

The CEC select for each FY will typically be your highest qualified applicant in the ENTIRE STA-21 process. The SAT and ACT score contributes the most points (40 of 92) to the objective portion of your package grading.
I would study for the SAT/ACT like my package depends on it if I were you.

MHasty

Crush the SAT/ACT! Do you have an associate degree? That is also very important to complete.

The CEC select for each FY will typically be your highest qualified applicant in the ENTIRE STA-21 process. The SAT and ACT score contributes the most points (40 of 92) to the objective portion of your package grading.
I would study for the SAT/ACT like my package depends on it if I were you.
Very good info to have! Thank you. I'm currently sitting at 65 combined(32-math, 33-english). I thought that was good, but now I'll probably look into practicing more and taking it again. Where can I find that info about the point totals? All I've been able to find was an old score chart from around 2007, but the ACT was only worth 10/114 points on it.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Very good info to have! Thank you. I'm currently sitting at 65 combined(32-math, 33-english). I thought that was good, but now I'll probably look into practicing more and taking it again. Where can I find that info about the point totals? All I've been able to find was an old score chart from around 2007, but the ACT was only worth 10/114 points on it.

Unless they open up the reports tab in NETFOCUS, you won't be able to access the score sheet. I've attached my recreated version to this post.

Your ACT score should be plenty, but always aim for the stars.

You didn't answer my question about the associate degree.

Attachments

• STA-21 Grading Sheet.docx
    12.1 KB · Views: 122

MHasty

My bad. No associates degree. ASU doesn't offer one, even though I'll have 62 credits by the end of April. I see that's 10 points. That hurts. I wish we still had a local navy college. I would see if there are any programs I could take where my transcripts would almost have me done with some kind of AD. I might still look around. Thank you, again.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Unless they open up the reports tab in NETFOCUS, you won't be able to access the score sheet. I've attached my recreated version to this post.

Your ACT score should be plenty, but always aim for the stars.

You didn't answer my question about the associate degree.

Very interesting re: the scoring sheet. Goforth - where did you happen to come across this information?

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Very interesting re: the scoring sheet. Goforth - where did you happen to come across this information?

I got this information from NETFOCUS. When I was applying in 2016 NETFOCUS accidentally allowed us access to the “reports” tab. This tab allowed us to run administrative reports that only the board should be allowed to see. In this tab we could access the score report sheets. The score sheets included all of the line items I listed in the document and gave justification for the points awarded. It was as obvious “oops” by the NETFOCUS administrators, but it gave us a big leg up in figuring out how the program is scored and graded. Good luck.

Read our forums from 2016. There is a LOT of information in those forums.

DLWN64

FY17 OCEANO, FY18/FY19/FY20 IP Applicant
FY18 options are out. Unfortunately OCEANO isn't an option. My package last year and the one I'm working on this year is tailored around my passion and work I've done in that field. Unsure what to do now.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
FY18 options are out. Unfortunately OCEANO isn't an option. My package last year and the one I'm working on this year is tailored around my passion and work I've done in that field. Unsure what to do now.

Didn't see the NAVADMIN yet or anything posted on the STA 21 page. Where did you hear that info?

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Wow. That's quite the hit. Feels like last October all over again. If this is the case, I'm probably SOL. I'm an old guy by STA standards. Most likely gonna have to sit this one out.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Even if I can't apply this year, I'm still more than willing to answer questions or help anyone out if they want.

DLWN64

FY17 OCEANO, FY18/FY19/FY20 IP Applicant
I'm still not sure what to do, it certainly is a big blow. I'm debating whether continuing working on my package like I am now and hope it's available next year as an option, or apply for IP and maybe another option in the hopes OCEANO shows up in FY19 and I can claim it's my 3rd time applying. Not many options left for my age.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Do you want to be a Navy Officer or an Oceano? Sometimes we have to suppress what we really want when we hear the call to serve.

I had to swallow a large rectangular pill when I found out I was a CORE. But honestly it made me examine my intentions. Ultimately I chose to be an Officer first, my designator is secondary.

It's time for a gut-check. Are you an Oceano, or an Officer?