• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY18 STA-21 Applicants

Wamaa

Well to lighten the mood everyone, I got accepted into the electrical engineering program at ASU. Hoping to knock out all my calc and physics classes before this years board! Wish me luck!

Woop woop!!...How's you pckg coming along?

I've taken my Personal statement to my CCC and we've corrected it like 3 times already. I have added, removed, Shorted and Lengthened everything in it and it is still not near perfection. Haha still working on that though whilst waiting for my internal board sometimes soon.

kaluunit

I don't even know where to begin on my personal statement. I probably have 5 different drafts I've scrapped.

Last edited:

Wamaa

I don't even know where to begin on my personal statement. I probably have 5 different drafts I've scrapped.

1st time applying, still getting everything together
RATE/RANK:
PS3(SW)
APPLYING FOR: Pilot/NFO, human resources or cyber if they're open
EVALS: MP/MP/MP/MP/EP
COLLEGE:
UMUC, 19 Credits
HIGH SCHOOL: High school Diploma
AWARDS: FLOC(2), GWOT, SS, OSS
TIS: 5yr
ACT: Taking in FEB
ASTB: Taking in JAN
WARFARE QUALS: ESWS
PRT:
Excellent, Outstanding, Outstanding
LORs: DH and Divo (previous command)
MISC: 85 volunteer hours
CERTS: Net+, Sec+, CCNA

I know, seems easy until you start writing it and you are like, ooh shit it wasn't that easy after all. If I was you, I'd start by knowing what primary thing I really want to go after from the list in your signature (Pilot/NFO, human resources or cyber if they're open) only then will you be able to stir your personal statement in the right direction.
And once you are done with the first one take to someone for them to read it and put in their opinion. I start with the career counselor, mine has been super helpful so far. Or you can send it to someone in this forum who've been selected before.
I'm a PS or was one...got frocked to third like few weeks ago.

kaluunit

Side question: Why does everyone take the SAT? I'm planning on taking that ACT (as that's what I grew up around and took in HS.) Am I limiting myself/my options if/when I get selected by not taking the SAT?

Wamaa

Side question: Why does everyone take the SAT? I'm planning on taking that ACT (as that's what I grew up around and took in HS.) Am I limiting myself/my options if/when I get selected by not taking the SAT?

I took both tests, ACT then SAT and to me SAT felt way easier than ACT...part of this is because of KHAN Academy, the SAT practice tests are similar to the real SAT test, so I went in confident.... I think it all depends on which one you think you'll do well..I might be wrong though

kaluunit

I took both tests, ACT then SAT and to me SAT felt way easier than ACT...part of this is because of KHAN Academy, the SAT practice tests are similar to the real SAT test, so I went in confident.... I think it all depends on which one you think you'll do well..I might be wrong though

I wonder how much it would effect which schools you can apply to if you get accepted. I know that as a HS student certain colleges only take certain tests but that probably doesn't matter as a non-traditional going.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
The big difference between the ACT and the SAT is that the ACT includes a "Science" portion. This obviously doesn't impact your STA package at all, unless you consider if you bombed Science it would lower your overall score. STA is only interested in your Reading and Math scores. However, college admissions will look at the total score (if you do not have a 2-year degree already) when you apply to schools.

Both exams test the same aptitudes. The popular rumor is SAT is harder, but having taken both I would say they were equal in difficulty. I actually scored higher on my SAT which is the one I turned into my package. Both Universities and STA-21 Board won't care which exam you took.

To all of you new applicants, junior Sailors - I STRONGLY encourage you to read the FY17 STA-21 fleet brief, if you haven't already. They will update it for FY18 but 99% the information will still apply. We still have a few months before the FY18 message is released. Here's a few things you can do to help yourself out in the meantime:

- Take courses. There's a couple of semesters/quarters before packages need to be zipped up and mailed. MATH! -- If you're not AT Calculus level, knock out the pre-reqs (College Algebra, Trig). If you are, take Calc I & II. Take Physics I & II. Show the board that you are ready for and WANT this. How can the board think you are serious about your education if you aren't taking classes?
- Start pulling your record. No matter what anyone tells you, the board has no access to your ESR during the board. All they will know about you is what is included in that envelope. Get your transcripts, evals, awards, LOA/LOCs, everything in order. Start drafting your personnel statement, letters of recommendation, etc.
- Network. Try to put out feelers toward the wardroom so you can start getting your boards together. Higher ranking personnel hold more weight with regards to appraisals. However, higher ranking personnel are harder to schedule. Plan in advance.
- Learn about the community you are applying for. This is especially true if you are applying outside of your rate. Talk to the O's. Know the career path, milestones from Ensign >> Admiral within that community. Review the program authorization for what you are applying for. Know it line for line.
- Read and learn OPNAVINST 1420 1B.
- Improve physical fitness. Aim for Excellent + on 2017 Cycle I PRT.

Once the message drops (Feb-Mar), you should be at a 90% solution on your package and ready to schedule your Internal and External boards which will be the last 10%.

Finally, a piece of advice -- and this may come off as harsh to some of you -- but I'm not one for BS or blowing smoke up anyone's ass. There will be 50 or less people selected for this program, and 35-40 are going to be Nukes. If you are applying for Pilot, NFO, Intel, OCEANO, whatever, there's going to be a quota of somewhere between 0 to (mayyybe) 2. Many EXTREMELY qualified people are/will be applying for their second, third, forth time (go read the previous years' threads). If you are applying because you think having the shiniest boots in the division entitles you to a commission, you want to get school paid for, or you want to transfer early -- you need to reassess why you are doing this. This is something that requires full commitment. You will not have a chance to get picked up otherwise. Selection isn't the end goal, it's the beginning of a new struggle.

There's an immense amount of information on this site; arguably more than anywhere else re: STA-21. Former selectees are always peeking in and offering to help. Utilize all available resources.

If anyone has any questions, I am more than happy to help out and completely open for transparency.

Airbro

The big difference between the ACT and the SAT is that the ACT includes a "Science" portion. This obviously doesn't impact your STA package at all, unless you consider if you bombed Science it would lower your overall score. STA is only interested in your Reading and Math scores. However, college admissions will look at the total score (if you do not have a 2-year degree already) when you apply to schools.

Both exams test the same aptitudes. The popular rumor is SAT is harder, but having taken both I would say they were equal in difficulty. I actually scored higher on my SAT which is the one I turned into my package. Both Universities and STA-21 Board won't care which exam you took.

To all of you new applicants, junior Sailors - I STRONGLY encourage you to read the FY17 STA-21 fleet brief, if you haven't already. They will update it for FY18 but 99% the information will still apply. We still have a few months before the FY18 message is released. Here's a few things you can do to help yourself out in the meantime:

- Take courses. There's a couple of semesters/quarters before packages need to be zipped up and mailed. MATH! -- If you're not AT Calculus level, knock out the pre-reqs (College Algebra, Trig). If you are, take Calc I & II. Take Physics I & II. Show the board that you are ready for and WANT this. How can the board think you are serious about your education if you aren't taking classes?
- Start pulling your record. No matter what anyone tells you, the board has no access to your ESR during the board. All they will know about you is what is included in that envelope. Get your transcripts, evals, awards, LOA/LOCs, everything in order. Start drafting your personnel statement, letters of recommendation, etc.
- Network. Try to put out feelers toward the wardroom so you can start getting your boards together. Higher ranking personnel hold more weight with regards to appraisals. However, higher ranking personnel are harder to schedule. Plan in advance.
- Learn about the community you are applying for. This is especially true if you are applying outside of your rate. Talk to the O's. Know the career path, milestones from Ensign >> Admiral within that community. Review the program authorization for what you are applying for. Know it line for line.
- Read and learn OPNAVINST 1420 1B.
- Improve physical fitness. Aim for Excellent + on 2017 Cycle I PRT.

Once the message drops (Feb-Mar), you should be at a 90% solution on your package and ready to schedule your Internal and External boards which will be the last 10%.

Finally, a piece of advice -- and this may come off as harsh to some of you -- but I'm not one for BS or blowing smoke up anyone's ass. There will be 50 or less people selected for this program, and 35-40 are going to be Nukes. If you are applying for Pilot, NFO, Intel, OCEANO, whatever, there's going to be a quota of somewhere between 0 to (mayyybe) 2. Many EXTREMELY qualified people are/will be applying for their second, third, forth time (go read the previous years' threads). If you are applying because you think having the shiniest boots in the division entitles you to a commission, you want to get school paid for, or you want to transfer early -- you need to reassess why you are doing this. This is something that requires full commitment. You will not have a chance to get picked up otherwise. Selection isn't the end goal, it's the beginning of a new struggle.

There's an immense amount of information on this site; arguably more than anywhere else re: STA-21. Former selectees are always peeking in and offering to help. Utilize all available resources.

If anyone has any questions, I am more than happy to help out and completely open for transparency.

This was a really good write-up and helped me realize the gravity of actually applying, it's not nearly as easy as it seems. But that being said I'm still going for it! I wanted to ask you about LORs. In general are you just looking to get the highest ranking officer(s) that are willing to write you a letter? Do retired officers still hold weight? I'm starting everything early now, my biggest focus is on doing well on the ATSB and retaking the SAT but I need to start thinking about the rest of the package too.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Great post and I think you pretty much hit all of the major points.
I have to agree that you should be working on taking Cal I/II or the pre reqs like previously stated. Also if you can get you associates degree while taking some classes I would recommend that too.

Remember this is your package and you will need to do a majority of the leg work. My first year I just went with the flow and did not take control of my package and as I result I was down to the wire when it came time to submit. This last year I scheduled everything well in advanced and it gave me plenty of time to verify my package had zero mistakes before it was mailed off. Something that I believed made a difference this year was the fact that I sought out an aviation command flying the platform that I would like to fly. This meant that from San Diego I had to drive up to Lemoore, CA for my external interview. It was well worth the dive and ultimately I think it showed the board how determined I was to make this dream a reality.

Again read the 1420.1b front to back as it will tell you exactly how everything should be arranged and put your heart and soul into. Even if you are not selected your hard work will not go unnoticed. Be the best Sailor you can, know you job cold, focus on college, leadership within the command, and volunteering. Study your butt off for the SAT/ACT and let you package show you put your all into it. Good luck everyone and let me know if you need me to resend the link to my package or if you have any questions.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
This was a really good write-up and helped me realize the gravity of actually applying, it's not nearly as easy as it seems. But that being said I'm still going for it! I wanted to ask you about LORs. In general are you just looking to get the highest ranking officer(s) that are willing to write you a letter? Do retired officers still hold weight? I'm starting everything early now, my biggest focus is on doing well on the ATSB and retaking the SAT but I need to start thinking about the rest of the package too.

LORs do not carry as much weight as many other parts of your package. You should look at these as supplementary pieces to the whole pie. Speaking with O's who have sat the board previously, the most impactful LORs are higher ranking personnel who TRUELY know and have worked previously with the applicant. Former COs, XOs, DHs are your best opportunity; people who can speak to how you perform(ed) on a day-to-day basis. I would gear my effort more toward the personal statement, and the COs recommendation draft (if you can). These items hold much more weight.

DANG3R M0US3

First week of Calc I -- heads up, it sucks. ;)

How many semesters of Calc are you going to have to take? The fun is only beginning if the answer is more than one!

Also, always remember that no matter how confident you are in your skills:
don__t_drink_and_derive_by_fire_camel-d3cr4vs.png

DLWN64

FY17 OCEANO, FY18/FY19/FY20 IP Applicant
I'm almost 100% certain last year the online application was open in early to mid January. I wonder what the hold up is with getting quotas sometime later this month.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
The FY17 announcement wasn't released until the end of March. I expect that web applications would open shortly after.