• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY17 STA-21 Applicants

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Your doing your boards be off you turn you package in? I wasn't aware you could do that without an official SAT score which I've been waiting on since March 22nd, ordered it online ebut the rush service is down so it takes 2 to 4 weeks so I'm still waiting

My command has been helpful in getting things lined up without my official scores because I'm overseas. I was extremely limited on opportunities to take the test and actually had to come to CONUS in order to do it. I have 95% of the rest of my package done with the exception of the scores.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Appreciate it. Its been a hectic last few months. Won't be able to relax until I know everything is squared away and postmarked.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Good luck everyone. Just waiting on my external interview with VFA-147 later this month.
I think do to the lack of spots each year peoples interest have dropped in the program. I wish everyone the best of luck as we start to wrap up the STA-21 season.
On a side note advancement results should be out soon too. Anyone here up for the next rank?

SAR2NFO

SAR2SWO
Good luck to everyone this year! I applied last year for NFO, but due to my age I will be pursuing the SWO(ED) option this time around. 5 more months until we receive our fates!

DLWN64

FY17 OCEANO, FY18/FY19/FY20 IP Applicant
Hey everyone! I'm applying for Oceanography as well. Just finished my portion of the package, got everything certified to be a true copy this morning. Waiting on my internal interview to be scheduled, just scheduled my off-ship interview. Excited I'm finally at this point but of course nervous as well. Good luck to everyone.

RATE/RANK: IC1
APPLYING FOR: OCEANOGRAPHY
EVALS: MP, MP, EP, P, MP (New command for the P)
COLLEGE: Tidewater Community College, Excelsior College (Associate of Applied Science, 2014 3.7 GPA), Accepted into NROTC-affiliated Old Dominion University, I've been taking math courses over the last year to up my math.
HIGH SCHOOL: ~2.4 GPA (Nearly 10 years ago now, couple of D's)
LEADERSHIP: (some now and others previously) Assistant LPO, Command Training Petty Officer, Work Center Supervisor, Command Safety Petty Officer, and more. Also leading volunteer efforts to clean up local costal areas in Hampton Roads.
AWARDS: 4 x NAM, 3 x GCM and various unit and command awards. Blue Jacket of the Year 2008
TIS: 9 years
SAT: Just got my results, last thing I was waiting on! 560 Math/ 560 English
WARFARE QUALS: SW
PRT: Excellent, Good, Good
LORs: LCDR, LCDR, LT
MISC: Volunteer hours for Toys For Tots, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, City of Norfolk, local beach cleanup, and others. Member of Command Assessment Team at last command.

Last edited:

DLWN64

Hoping they make 2 this time around but I fully expect 1 to be made. I scheduled my off ship interview with some high ranking officers within the OCEANO community, hoping that gives me a leg up. If I don't get selected I hope I at least get picked as an alternate, I'd probably have a better chance making it the following year. From history it looks like 20 people or so have applied each time the option has been available. A bit discouraging but hoping my package is at least competitive. Yours certainly seems so ML_METOC!

DLWN64

If history holds there will be 1 spot, so keep pushing on finishing your degrees, last year 70% of selections were for nuclear

Yup :/ My back at a sea command so taking courses is more challenging, just taking one at a time. Taking Pre-Cal now. I know some people probably already have Calculus done but anything I can do to lessen the classes I need to take if selected.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Hoping they make 2 this time around but I fully expect 1 to be made. I scheduled my off ship interview with some high ranking officers within the OCEANO community, hoping that gives me a leg up. If I don't get selected I hope I at least get picked as an alternate, I'd probably have a better chance making it the following year. From history it looks like 20 people or so have applied each time the option has been available. A bit discouraging but hoping my package is at least competitive. Yours certainly seems so ML_METOC!

Appreciate that DLWN. I thought the same thing when I saw yours. I think this board more than any in the USN is about potential. It's not like going up for E7+ boards. What I, or anyone of us have accomplished thus far holds weight, no doubt. However, the hard charging E-2 can take it and run when it comes to STA-21, if the board sees "it" in him/her. That's the great part of this program, IMO.

I also agree that it will probably be one 1800 selectee. Fingers are crossed that they take more. Even two would be a blessing.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Hey everyone! I'm applying for Oceanography as well. Just finished my portion of the package, got everything certified to be a true copy this morning. Waiting on my internal interview to be scheduled, just scheduled my off-ship interview. Excited I'm finally at this point but of course nervous as well. Good luck to everyone.

RATE/RANK: IC1
APPLYING FOR: OCEANOGRAPHY
EVALS: MP, MP, EP, P, MP (New command for the P)
COLLEGE: Tidewater Community College, Excelsior College (Associate of Applied Science, 2014 3.7 GPA), Accepted into NROTC-affiliated Old Dominion University, I've been taking math courses over the last year to up my math.
HIGH SCHOOL: ~2.4 GPA (Nearly 10 years ago now, couple of D's)
LEADERSHIP: (some now and others previously) Assistant LPO, Command Training Petty Officer, Work Center Supervisor, Command Safety Petty Officer, and more. Also leading volunteer efforts to clean up local costal areas in Hampton Roads.
AWARDS: 4 x NAM, 3 x GCM and various unit and command awards. Blue Jacket of the Year 2008
TIS: 9 years
SAT: Just got my results, last thing I was waiting on! 560 Math/ 560 English
WARFARE QUALS: SW
PRT: Excellent, Good, Good
LORs: LCDR, LCDR, LT
MISC: Volunteer hours for Toys For Tots, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, City of Norfolk, local beach cleanup, and others. Member of Command Assessment Team at last command.
I'm an OC at ODU. If you want a 1-on-1 package review I'd gladly do it.

I also am good friends with the guy who was selected for OCEANO last year. Good luck!

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Appreciate that DLWN. I thought the same thing when I saw yours. I think this board more than any in the USN is about potential. It's not like going up for E7+ boards. What I, or anyone of us have accomplished thus far holds weight, no doubt. However, the hard charging E-2 can take it and run when it comes to STA-21, if the board sees "it" in him/her. That's the great part of this program, IMO.

I also agree that it will probably be one 1800 selectee. Fingers are crossed that they take more. Even two would be a blessing.

This program is no longer designed for the hard charging E-2. This program is intensely academic centric. We were briefed at NSI on the startling amount of STA-21 selectees who fail out of the program for one reason or another. The Navy is looking for a "sure bang for their buck" and a good return on investment in their selectees. They are looking for those with PROVEN academic success and leadership performance, PERIOD.

IF an E-2 were to be selected, it would probably be that they were a high GPA college student who dropped out during the latter years of degree completion to join the Navy. I was amazed to meet a lot of OCs at NSI who had years of college under their belt before joining the Navy.

This program is about points....it's about putting checks in proverbial boxes. Read FY-16 forums if you'd like to find out how the program is scored. I did a full run-down on it from submission to selection.

Good luck to everyone!

exNavyOffRec

This program is no longer designed for the hard charging E-2. This program is intensely academic centric. We were briefed at NSI on the startling amount of STA-21 selectees who fail out of the program for one reason or another. The Navy is looking for a "sure bang for their buck" and a good return on investment in their selectees. They are looking for those with PROVEN academic success and leadership performance, PERIOD.

IF an E-2 were to be selected, it would probably be that they were a high GPA college student who dropped out during the latter years of degree completion to join the Navy. I was amazed to meet a lot of OCs at NSI who had years of college under their belt before joining the Navy.

This program is about points....it's about putting checks in proverbial boxes. Read FY-16 forums if you'd like to find out how the program is scored. I did a full run-down on it from submission to selection.

Good luck to everyone!

to add to what you said many of the STA-21 drops that came to my ship had one thing in common, they all started STA-21 with little college