• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Call Ted Williams and pose that question to him. He is the fleet OCS processor. He can be reached through the global on OCSqestions. When I was applying he said that he was only allowing active duty who were within 30 days of graduation to apply. Rules might be relaxed now.

Let me know the if you contact him S117. I am kind of in a time crunch for applying next year with my PRD approaching and all. If I can apply right before I graduate, that would really help me out.

exNavyOffRec

Let me know the if you contact him S117. I am kind of in a time crunch for applying next year with my PRD approaching and all. If I can apply right before I graduate, that would really help me out.

Just a few months ago a guy on the OCS thread talked about how the PM sent his application back because he didn't have anything that said his degree had been awarded, it doesn't matter what Ted Williams says it matters what the PM does, and I have seen PM's that go by the letter of the instruction and some that are more lenient.

KevBot510

FY12 STA-21 SWO Selectee
For all those who got picked up and are interested in going to Arizona State, I'm one of the 2 OC's here and am more than happy to answer any questions you might have! And congrats on getting picked up!

CTFly1

NavyOffRec,

Can I get the instruction that is listed in? I have a sailor trying to put in an OCS package that I need to prove this to. Thanks in advance for any help.

This just happened to me in Oct. while applying for OCS. I even had a notarized letter from my college saying my degree reqs were complete and my conferral date was scheduled for Oct. 18th. I submitted my package and it was kicked back because my transcript didn't reflect conferral and degree information on it, even though I included the letter. Once I was conferred, I immediately sent in the transcript and my package was processed.

BobbyNavy06

Hello all,

I am grateful to meet every single sailor who has the desire to become an Officer. As you may tell I am new to contributing to the forums, however I've been snooping around here for a little over one year. Being stationed in NJ on a pretty small Naval Base, it is very tuff to find anyone who is applying for STA 21 of OCS. So without further adieu my first question out of a million is; Did any of your Senior Officers ask you to write your own recommendation and then hand it to them for review? I found that a little odd, but as one of the CDR told me, "You know yourself best."

Bobby.

zarevich

Hello all,

I am grateful to meet every single sailor who has the desire to become an Officer. As you may tell I am new to contributing to the forums, however I've been snooping around here for a little over one year. Being stationed in NJ on a pretty small Naval Base, it is very tuff to find anyone who is applying for STA 21 of OCS. So without further adieu my first question out of a million is; Did any of your Senior Officers ask you to write your own recommendation and then hand it to them for review? I found that a little odd, but as one of the CDR told me, "You know yourself best."

Bobby.
I had to do that for my previous CO. I asked my DIVO if he could talk to the CO to write me a letter of recommendation before he leaves the command and the CO told him for me to write my own and send it up to him. I wrote my own letter of recommendation and got it back in a week with CO's signature. I didn't ask why he couldn't write it himself. but I think it was because he was very busy preparing to turn over the ship to the new CO.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had to do that for my previous CO. I asked my DIVO if he could talk to the CO to write me a letter of recommendation before he leaves the command and the CO told him for me to write my own and send it up to him. I wrote my own letter of recommendation and got it back in a week with CO's signature.
That has become fairly common in recent times.:)
I didn't ask why he couldn't write it himself. but I think it was because he was very busy preparing to turn over the ship to the new CO.
Well, COs are quite busy and often buried in paperwork; however, you may have accomplishments, or positive things you may have done within, or outside the command, that the Skipper may not be aware of. Never worry about overinflating yourself in his rough draft, as he will edit and shape up your rough to a letter he is comfortable placing his signature on. An applicant's CO LOR, carries great weight with selection boards.:confused:

Good luck on your application at the board!:)
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)