• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

3rdtimer

Seems like there is a lot of stiff competition for Oceanography this year.
Lui, I got a buddy (QM like me) whose thinking about going for Oceanography next year. He has an AA but I think its non-technical. What advice would u give him (besides good luck). It's gonna be his first time applying. I already gave him the basic scoop, so looking for specific quals, courses, schools, education. BTW, this dude is too funny. He thinks his best argument for becoming an officer is that he made first in 5 years. He needs help....

Lui

OCS Applicant
Lui, I got a buddy (QM like me) whose thinking about going for Oceanography next year. He has an AA but I think its non-technical. What advice would u give him (besides good luck). It's gonna be his first time applying. I already gave him the basic scoop, so looking for specific quals, courses, schools, education. BTW, this dude is too funny. He thinks his best argument for becoming an officer is that he made first in 5 years. He needs help....
For all I know he might be correct. I doubt it though :p Honestly, this is my first year submiting a package. I would not be telling you the truth if I acted like I knew what they looked for within that community. I was hoping my flight experiance and success in college would help. I also made it a point to get Calc 1 out of the way. From what I have read, more rides on your personal statement and CO endorsement than anything else. I am sure other people on here can give much better advice.

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
Are we seriously talking about tracking people down...? For what lol. Ok. Once you track that person down then what. Say hello?
I agree that this conversation needs to lighten up and I also agree that if anyone needs to be tracked down it should be the guy who started the rumor about results being released. Lets direct our attention back to ulsers and lack of sleep.
If the results do not release by Monday I will....Hmmm, I guess continue to stress out because to my own fault...this means something to me.

Again, good luck to all (serious)

Lui

OCS Applicant
Are we seriously talking about tracking people down...? For what lol. Ok. Once you track that person down then what. Say hello?
I agree that this conversation needs to lighten up and I also agree that if anyone needs to be tracked down it should be the guy who started the rumor about results being released. Lets direct our attention back to ulsers and lack of sleep.
If the results do not release by Monday I will....Hmmm, I guess continue to stress out because to my own fault...this means something to me.

Again, good luck to all (serious)
I figured the robot quote would end it. Don't make me pull out the big guns now.

3rdtimer

For all I know he might be correct. I doubt it though :p Honestly, this is my first year submiting a package. I would not be telling you the truth if I acted like I knew what they looked for within that community. I was hoping my flight experiance and success in college would help. I also made it a point to get Calc 1 out of the way. From what I have read, more rides on your personal statement and CO endorsement than anything else. I am sure other people on here can give much better advice.
Ya, I told him basically the same thing. I read you talking about sub stuff and thought you might have some sort of edge that was unknown to us surface folk.

Lui

OCS Applicant
Ya, I told him basically the same thing. I read you talking about sub stuff and thought you might have some sort of edge that was unknown to us surface folk.
Your thinking about someone else. The only sub I have ever been on was a WWII one in San Fran. Got to watch the blues cruise around alkatraz that day. Good stuff. I do SAR and am on a recruting tour right now.

Lui

OCS Applicant
P.S. All aviators do have an edge but if I divulged the secret I would get taken off the Christmas card list and kicked out of the club. No Way I am risking that. The pot pie at the get togethers is way to good.

JHawkNROTC

FY12 & 13 Supply Corps Applicant
I completely agree. If you need to become an Officer so badly that you are making yourself sick and losing sleep, you might want to re-evaulate your reasoning. Commissioning is not everything, being a chief can sometimes be the route to go (seeing how chiefs are responsible for training JO's). There's always the LDO or CWO programs too

Didn't mean to cause so much turmoil. I guess I need to clarify that I don't REALLY think that I'm getting an ulcer. I was just trying to show my anticipation. I have already been PTS approved as well as re-upped for 6 years last month. Life will go on if I am not accepted this year, and I will apply again next year.

In the mean time I have a baby due in January and I have orders to Mayport (PCSing April 2012). So, certain things like finding a house, my wife finding a new job, child care, First Class results, etc. are all weighing heavily. I, as I'm sure most people on this site, are simply ready to know, one way or the other, so our futures are not so 'unknown'.

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
Didn't mean to cause so much turmoil. I guess I need to clarify that I don't REALLY think that I'm getting an ulcer. I was just trying to show my anticipation. I have already been PTS approved as well as re-upped for 6 years last month. Life will go on if I am not accepted this year, and I will apply again next year.

In the mean time I have a baby due in January and I have orders to Mayport (PCSing April 2012). So, certain things like finding a house, my wife finding a new job, child care, First Class results, etc. are all weighing heavily. I, as I'm sure most people on this site, are simply ready to know, one way or the other, so our futures are not so 'unknown'.
I am in mayport and have been for 7 years so if you need any help let me know. Help with knowing the best places to live things like that.

JHawkNROTC

FY12 & 13 Supply Corps Applicant
I am in mayport and have been for 7 years so if you need any help let me know. Help with knowing the best places to live things like that.

I appreciate that! HOPEFULLY I won't need it, but I'll definitely hit you up if I have to carry out plan 'B'.

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
I just want to say, I don't even check NPC, STA-21, or BOL for the results, I come here because I know if they are out one of you awesome shipmates will post them immediately and I thank you.

Now, just like the rest of you I applied because we all know in our hearts we have what it takes to be an Officer and that I'm sure each and every one of your applications are competitive. You wouldn't have applied if you didn't think you had a chance at making it.

WIth that being said, reading some of the above replies where you are so nervous that you feel like you are getting an ulcer worries me because it gives the impression that you are relying too much on being accepted. I applied, and though I'm just as curious to find out if I was accepted I'm not losing sleep, nor am I getting jittery or nervous about it.

What each and every one of you nervous applicants should be doing is not concerning yourself about making it or not, but how you can improve your application next year if for some reason you don't get selected.

We all know about the budget cuts, STA-21 acceptances are at an all time low, hell across every Officer program. I'm hoping that I make it, but I'm prepared if I don't so that way next year I can have an even more competitive package than the one I sent off.

My advice is stop worrying, and don't beat yourself up if you don't get selected. You must all be great Sailors to even get command sponsorship to apply, and to know that you have a package that could possibly get selected. Not getting picked isn't going to take that away from any of you. Nobody is going to call you a shitbag if you weren't of the 60 applicants accepted out of 1400 and I hope none of you stopped being that awesome Sailor just because you counted too much on being selected.

Cheers and Good Luck to you all!

I know I'm getting into this late but...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but trying to fault someone for worrying about results so much it has a physical effect on them (real or metaphorical) does come off kind of douche-like. Not saying it's what you meant but realize people are genuinely worried and many do have a lot riding on this... not to mention each year you have to reapply is a year you're not what you wish to be.

I just recently found out that my wife is pregnant and I couldn't be happier.... well STA-21 results would help... I'm positive if I don't make it this time I'll reapply but being able to get it now (and soon) so I can stay at home with my wife does add to the "ulcer-factor" of this waiting game. It's not the end of the world, but for my first kid... I want to be there for as much of this as I can.

Still, I do agree when you say that a "whatever happens, happens" attitude helps but it should be more like "If things don't work out this time, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep looking forward. I may not make it this time, I may never make it... but life doesn't end here."

Good luck all!

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
I just recently found out that my wife is pregnant and I couldn't be happier.... well STA-21 results would help... I'm positive if I don't make it this time I'll reapply but being able to get it now (and soon) so I can stay at home with my wife does add to the "ulcer-factor" of this waiting game. It's not the end of the world, but for my first kid... I want to be there for as much of this as I can.

Dan, I just found out my wife is prego too brother. 2nd child though. Congrats! I'm with you on the ulcer-factor. Don't know what your calendar planning is like, but we are due in June. Figure with a successful sta-21 select, just be getting out of NSI and moving at the due date. Great planning right?? If not selected, transferring in July to San Diego from DC, so a cross country move with a 1 month old doesn't sound any more exciting. Good luck, brother.

3rdtimer

Your thinking about someone else. The only sub I have ever been on was a WWII one in San Fran. Got to watch the blues cruise around alkatraz that day. Good stuff. I do SAR and am on a recruting tour right now.

OK. Gotchya