• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

Eblack904

Wow, just read that. Opened my eyes to the realization of exactly what kind of responsiblities and burdens can be on an officer's shoulders (Enclosure 2 is crazy).
http://www.public.navy.mil/USFF/PAGES/AUTH_RESP_ACC_MEMO.ASPX

Yea Man. Thats some deep stuff. But its a true example of what happens when we slack at what we do. a simple mistake can kill. Im glad you posted it, i think a lot of the candidates for STA-21 will find it useful. Even just for future life lessons.

That_1_Dud3

Ok so the official word is: No FY12 Package for me :/

Why? No URL Officers scheduled in time for PILOT option.

I do have a question though: My CO is supposed to schedule a board of three URL officers upon reciept of my package; problem is, the only officers at my command are IW (Restricted) officers. Am I supposed to find three willing URL (probably pilots) officers to stand my internal and then go back and find three other pilots for my external? Because that's the only way this seems to work out. Please help out here because there was mass confusion this year and I want it settled before next year's package.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
The officers designated in the option you are trying to apply for is a recommendation, not a requirement. That being said, I strongly suggest having at least one officer from the community which you are applying for present in your EXTERNAL board.
The instruction, as it was written when I put in my package (it has since changed) does specifically note that your INTERNAL board shall consist of three URL officers from your community selected by your commanding officer.
However, if you are in a community where it is impossible to find any URL officers at your command, I would at the very least do a board with 3 non-URL officers and have a statement from your Commanding Officer explaining the situation.
The worst thing that could happen is you don't get selected. At least you tried and will have a better idea what to look forward to for future STA-21 Boards.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
was it harder to make up credits and more challenging to get accepted?
I only put in one package, so I can't answer to the difficulty of getting selected. As far as making up credits, bear in mind that 600 credits on your smart transcript does not equal 600 credits at your prospective school. Usually, online schools don't transfer very well either. Additionally, your credits might not transfer to your degree program of choice either. What this means is that people who are short of an Associate's Degree often find themselves starting fresh just like those of us with no credit to begin with. The only way to truly get ahead is to have a regionally accredited AA/AS, therefore giving you the opportunity to bypass lower level classes at your 4 year institution. Otherwise, school is hard for everybody man.

TheCzar

FY13 Pilot Applicant (2nd time)
Ok so the official word is: No FY12 Package for me :/

Why? No URL Officers scheduled in time for PILOT option.

I do have a question though: My CO is supposed to schedule a board of three URL officers upon reciept of my package; problem is, the only officers at my command are IW (Restricted) officers. Am I supposed to find three willing URL (probably pilots) officers to stand my internal and then go back and find three other pilots for my external? Because that's the only way this seems to work out. Please help out here because there was mass confusion this year and I want it settled before next year's package.

Yeah the 1420 says "The following exceptions apply: CEC, NC, MC, special duty officer (Intel), SWO IP/IW/ED/OCEANO options, HR, and SC applicants should have at least one officer from their prospective community on the board". Like Kilroy said it is highly recommended but not required. I was in the same boat you were in, I work at an Intel command with a bunch of IW and IP officers applying for pilot, but we have an Officer Program Coordinator who scheduled my external board with a squadron.

pilot_hopeful20

I only put in one package, so I can't answer to the difficulty of getting selected. As far as making up credits, bear in mind that 600 credits on your smart transcript does not equal 600 credits at your prospective school. Usually, online schools don't transfer very well either. Additionally, your credits might not transfer to your degree program of choice either. What this means is that people who are short of an Associate's Degree often find themselves starting fresh just like those of us with no credit to begin with. The only way to truly get ahead is to have a regionally accredited AA/AS, therefore giving you the opportunity to bypass lower level classes at your 4 year institution. Otherwise, school is hard for everybody man.

damn you must have had a good package put together. but i understand what your saying. i am still going to try to get some credits so it will help with my package. thank you for all the help

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Yeah the 1420 says "The following exceptions apply: CEC, NC, MC, special duty officer (Intel), SWO IP/IW/ED/OCEANO options, HR, and SC applicants should have at least one officer from their prospective community on the board". Like Kilroy said it is highly recommended but not required. I was in the same boat you were in, I work at an Intel command with a bunch of IW and IP officers applying for pilot, but we have an Officer Program Coordinator who scheduled my external board with a squadron.

You have an Officer Program Coordinator? Is this normal for most commands to have?

CTFly1

Chances?

Hey all,

This is my first year applying. I went for Pilot/Core and this is my basic rundown

CTI2
25 years old
3 years TIS
NCOIC of Spc Ops Tsk Force Shop - Afghanistan
EP EP EP(special eval) MP
Army Achievement, JCOM
AA degree (Persian Farsi)
114 total credits
ACT - 30
ASTB - 6 7 7 56
Outstanding Low - IA - Outstanding Med

... Think that's about it.

I know that they don't love selecting first year applicants... just curious about my chances with that breakdown. I'd appreciate any input that you have. Thanks!

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
I don't think it advances anything but I thoght I would share some hope for people. Last year I made ALT CORE with a 3.0 GPA. I applied Pilot. The only thing that changed this year really was I earned my AA degree and uped my GPA. I don't have a tech major but it would really not be smart of me to lie. I am an E-5 EP Sailor with 1 MP, 665 59 astb, 22 math 21 english ACT, 3 NAMS (7 years TIS) 4 LORS (1-06, 2-CDR, 1-LT), SOQ and I think thats about it. excellent PHAs and I am 25 years old. I was ranked 1 of 5 from CO

CTFly1

In the online application, where it asks what you want to study and it has a place to write in credits and what type (semester, quarter, etc), is it asking for how many credits you have completed already?

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
That is pretty cool your commands have an "Officer Program Coordinator". I was the only guys I know of selected for STA-21 out of my command in the last five years and had to setup everything myself. Not only that, but I was a nuke submariner, on a submarine at the time, trying to put in a package to go non-nuclear/submarine. I am not sure if having a coordinator would have helped or hurt me since I had quite an opposition from the officers on my boat as well as some of the chiefs about leaving their community. I had to bug the CO/XO every day for an internal board and I setup my external board at a command that was three hours north of us. My command did setup an external board for me, however it was with another submarine across the hall from us. So my recommendation for anyone putting their package in, and really anything that affects their career, is to follow it up every step of the way and to not expect anyone to do anything for you, without verifying it to the instruction yourself. Good luck you guys!

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
For those that don't know, you can log in to the STA-21 site where you applied and see what specifically in your package was received. As this is the last day to send anything in, I recommend everyone make sure there is nothing missing.

On another note, package is in, data forms on application are locked... all I can do now is wait! :icon_nav_