• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
What day? I want to arrive on the 15th. I'm still trying to get that finalized with my Italian SATO. They are giving me the runaround with the airlines.

I'll be getting in on MAY 16th. Yeah it was the same with me when i was stationed in La Madd Italy. SATO messed up my flights twice so i was kinda sweatin it at the last minute

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
I'll be getting in on MAY 16th. Yeah it was the same with me when i was stationed in La Madd Italy. SATO messed up my flights twice so i was kinda sweatin it at the last minute

Yea, if they knew how to do their job a few days ago when I tried to get this sorted out, my re-routed flight to my leave location and back to RI was going to be cheaper. I just bought my own just now and they'll reimburse up to the amount of their ticket when I do my final travel claim at the NROTC unit.

getnealing

McNasty has it right.

I did exactly this and it paid off. I got picked up in '04, commissioned in '07 and got me some wings in '09. Like he says...know what you want, become the expert on the instruction, get your quals, and stay out of trouble. Remember, you are creating a resume for perhaps the biggest career promotion of your life; treat it as such. Good luck!!

FY10 Applicants-

First off do not rely on anyone but yourself to build your application. Print out the 1420.1A. read it 50 times. highlight stuff. underline stuff. Become your squadron expert about the program. Read the navy correspondance manual and learn how to format it(font, sizes, etc). Proper application formatting will be noticed. The only thing you should rely on is a chief/officer setting up your two boards and your squadron Corpsman setting up a pyhsical.

Anyone who says they put their package together in a week is full of it. Procrastination will be evident and you will miss details. It took me from Jan 1st to July 31st (with a deployment in there) and I got picked up my first time applying.

This program is for sailors who absolutely 100% know they want to complete their eduaction and be Naval Officers. Look in the mirror and ask yourself how bad do you want it. The command boards and the selection board will recognize those who sincerely want to continue their career as Officers. They will also spot phonies and half-ass applications the instant they look at it and not waste a minute reviewing it.

Identify your weaknesses. Buy an SAT study book. Get Plane Captain/Dive Qual/Supervisor/CDI/Instructor Qualifications. Start working out and raise your PRT scores. Volunteer. Join the command color guard. You've got 9 months starting now to eliminate anything that could hinder your chances. And for goodness sake stay out of trouble.

oxnard_duffy

So Im trying to apply right now and so far I have three LOR's ( one retired O6 and two O4 ). I have my trascripts from high school and college and I just retook my SAT and ACT. I also just got my ASTB results back ( i got a 41). Well Im trying to pull everything together and finish up the rest of everything, I've still got to finish my personal statement, but I need help. Could anyone please help me and explain what my personal statement should look like and what it should have. Thank You and good luck to everyone else who is applying. :)

Milli

So Im trying to apply right now and so far I have three LOR's ( one retired O6 and two O4 ). I have my trascripts from high school and college and I just retook my SAT and ACT. I also just got my ASTB results back ( i got a 41). Well Im trying to pull everything together and finish up the rest of everything, I've still got to finish my personal statement, but I need help. Could anyone please help me and explain what my personal statement should look like and what it should have. Thank You and good luck to everyone else who is applying. :)

If you go on to the STA 21 website it has a layout for the personal statement, use those instructions to put your information that applies. The personal statement that I originally wrote was more open and freely written. My NCC quickly corrected me and I had to refer to the example with the navy outline. Be creative and describe your self but try not to be too repetitive of Evals and Letters of Rec. because then whats the point of saying something that is already stated . I hope this helps.

Soccerstuff

Hey, I was debating on writing some congressmen but i don't know the best way to go about it. I was turned down two years ago under the pretenses that he only gave recommendations for the Naval Academy. Did anyone write a Letter to their Congressman and when you did, did you write a LOR for them to sign as we do in them military? Did you send all your 'important' info? Evals, Awards, other LORs? How did you do it and what did you include in your letter if they don't know you that well.

I was selected as an alternate last year, i just want to get my best in this year

Last year i had LOR's from a
Vice ADM from current command
Previous CO (CAPT Sel)
Strike Group N2 (LCDR)
Previous OPS (LCDR)
and
3 from Friends of the Family:
Pastor (O-4 Retired AF)
Principle
Retired Surgeon (LCDR)

I want to get another from my New Vice Admiral, my Current N2 Officer, and a Congressman or Sentor.

What are your thoughts? Do i bother with a Congressman or Senator? is 10+ LOR's too many?

The thing is that all of the letters have either a character reference from my childhood through HS, before the Navy or my enlistment through First Class.

Fox84

I think LOR's a great addition, but they are not a selection maker/breaker. I had a single LOR from my previous CO and was selected this year, which was my first time up. I thnk your evals, test scores, and most of all your personal statement are what will get you selected. From everything I have read and learned over the past year, attention to detail and quality over quantity are what the board looks for. Hope this helps and good luck.

6993adam

Want to get selected here is what you have to do:

Get a bunch of EPs
Get good grades in calc and phsyics
Ace your interviews

or

Be a nuke

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
Hey, I was debating on writing some congressmen but i don't know the best way to go about it. I was turned down two years ago under the pretenses that he only gave recommendations for the Naval Academy. Did anyone write a Letter to their Congressman and when you did, did you write a LOR for them to sign as we do in them military? Did you send all your 'important' info? Evals, Awards, other LORs? How did you do it and what did you include in your letter if they don't know you that well.

I was selected as an alternate last year, i just want to get my best in this year

Last year i had LOR's from a
Vice ADM from current command
Previous CO (CAPT Sel)
Strike Group N2 (LCDR)
Previous OPS (LCDR)
and
3 from Friends of the Family:
Pastor (O-4 Retired AF)
Principle
Retired Surgeon (LCDR)

I want to get another from my New Vice Admiral, my Current N2 Officer, and a Congressman or Sentor.

What are your thoughts? Do i bother with a Congressman or Senator? is 10+ LOR's too many?

The thing is that all of the letters have either a character reference from my childhood through HS, before the Navy or my enlistment through First Class.

I can neither confirm nor deny that i may have known an Officer who sat on a previous STA-21 board. i can also neither confirm nor deny that i was told if you have letters from congressman, who are wasting your time, i mean honestly, think about it. these board members are not going to believe a word they say because unless you worked for that congressman specifically, how does he know you? just by the letter you wrote him? Some board members may or may not feel you are trying to overcompensate for something. They more or less care about offduty education, Evals, proper order of your personal record files, knowing how to read the STA-21 instruction and knowing how to organize it as such, and finally PRT!!!!!!!!! if you read in a couple of the other forums, everyone keeps saying they have trouble with the PRT because "Its not their best area of expertise" well i hope you know how to drive a ship, plane, sub, etc........dont let that be your weak area of expertise. Again, just concentrate on the order of your package, ensure your evals are not missing any dates and continue one after the other, and make sure you do good on your boards. Again, i can neither confirm nor deny any of this info

Those going to the May NSI class,
anyone flying in at around 2pm into RI on May 16th? lookin to share a cab when i get there, perhaps split the cost? i know there are some yankee home games goin on in NY the last few weekends in July, need to hit those up. See you guys in 28 days

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee

They can do it, just not on congress letterhead. I also got one from my senator... (this was a friend of the family type situation though)

shoe83

As far as LORs go, I had 0 LORs and got selected this year. LORs can help, but don't spend all your time on them. Make your record stand out. CO endorsement, personal statement, and interviews hold a lot of weight, as well as off duty education, evals, etc. PT is also important, but you don't need Outstandings, I had 2 Good Mediums and 1 Good High. The board just does not want to see you doing the minimums, show improvement.

I'll be flying into RI around 1700 on the 15th for NSI. See you guys there.

robertdm27

Trying to decide if I should fly or drive from Jacksonville. Does any one have any advice on if its better to have a car up there or not? Also is anyone is looking to car pool from Jax Fl let me know. I heard around week 3 or so we start to get liberty given back to us in NSI, any one have any advice from the most recent group on how it went up there?