• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
ELT(SS) said:
... being a nerd...
... will get you a nuke board. Buena suerte. :D

Now, I had the advantage of being at a big unit, but everyone I knew who asked for NFO or NA at least got looked at. Be able to meet all requirements, (physical, ASTB, so on) and it might not be as tricky as you thought. The first step is getting your foot in the door. It doesn't hurt (as ELT(SS) mentioned) to make yourself useful, first.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
I am sure you have heard this answer many of times, "It is all based of the needs of the Navy." Which, in this case, is completely true. One thing you must also realize, if you go core option you are not just competing against other OC's who are graduating that year. You are in the same pool as the NROTC and Naval Academy grads (possibly also the OCS grads, but not entirely sure) on getting those aviation slots. Luckily; however, they do split the numbers evenly between the Academy and the NROTC units across the nation. So ultimately you end up competing against all the other MIDN at the NROTC's.

Things that will make you more competitive is having a higher GPA. Being involved in your unit and taking leadership roles within your student battalion. Also, how well you do on your PRT can sometimes play a factor. The final thing that I believe will make or break your chances in going CORE to SNA is the ASTB. The higher the scores the better.

Oh and a word of advice, if you happened to do well in physics and calculus and you don't want to do anything associated with the nuclear program, make sure you exclude the nuke options on your "dream sheet" when you service select the beginning of your senior year.

I hope that helped.

Being at TRF Kings Bay i know that the Navy is very short on Bubblehead officers, and if you read the recent Navy Times about Academy sailors getting forced to be on subs it makes you think. also i talked to a FY-08 selectee who visited the command and everyone who gets picked up for CORE usually gets screened for nuke subs but doesnt mean thats what you will be doing.

ELT(SS)

... will get you a nuke board. Buena suerte. :D

Now, I had the advantage of being at a big unit, but everyone I knew who asked for NFO or NA at least got looked at. Be able to meet all requirements, (physical, ASTB, so on) and it might not be as tricky as you thought. The first step is getting your foot in the door. It doesn't hurt (as ELT(SS) mentioned) to make yourself useful, first.
Being a dork gets you a nuke board, being a nerd is ok. Nerds like learning, dorks fret over learning everything.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Being a dork gets you a nuke board, being a nerd is ok. Nerds like learning, dorks fret over learning everything.

I'll give ya that, good call.

Well, it's midnight under the mistletoe; time to evacuate this sausage fest. Hopefully you guys get word soon.

mikltk

FY10 STA-21 Applicant
(violin playing somber music) Dearly beloved we are gathered here at 0055 EST on this forum to pray for the blight of our dear friend: Hope For October. Mr. October is sustained merely by the life support system simply named Saturday. Approximately 55 minutes ago, Mr. October's final Friday failed on the BUPERS operating table. Dr. NAVADMIN has regretfully been unable to save Friday, and is desperately trying to save Mr. October under the aid of the Saturday machine. The odds are looking low for Mr. October, but Mrs. November is hopeful for an answer to her prayer for an answer, should Mr. October pass away. I urge you to keep your spirits high, and remember, there is still life in Mr. October, and Mrs. November is standing by, waiting to carry the torch Mr. October has all but died carrying.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
(violin playing somber music) Dearly beloved we are gathered here at 0055 EST on this forum to pray for the blight of our dear friend: Hope For October. Mr. October is sustained merely by the life support system simply named Saturday. Approximately 55 minutes ago, Mr. October's final Friday failed on the BUPERS operating table. Dr. NAVADMIN has regretfully been unable to save Friday, and is desperately trying to save Mr. October under the aid of the Saturday machine. The odds are looking low for Mr. October, but Mrs. November is hopeful for an answer to her prayer for an answer, should Mr. October pass away. I urge you to keep your spirits high, and remember, there is still life in Mr. October, and Mrs. November is standing by, waiting to carry the torch Mr. October has all but died carrying.

lol; very good

os2

enough

ok i had enough if anyone can get any phone number for an admiral or congress let me know and post it if you can im going to call them on monday hell i might call them today im fed with this lack of punctuality and transparency is a sign of leadership (say what you do and do what you say) and the ones who are supposed to the example are slipping so please ladies and gentlemen if you can please lend me a hand i would greatly appreciate it. thank you

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
im fed with this lack of punctuality and transparency is a sign of leadership (say what you do and do what you say) and the ones who are supposed to the example are slipping

That's right os2, they completely forgot about their responsibilities. Never mind the fact that it's early in the fiscal year, budgets are never what you want them to be, folks in the office are IA'd so there's never enough hands to get stuff done. Is it not fast enough for you? Do you think that there's abosolutely no pressure on them to release the message as fast and accurately as possible? How would you do their job?

Oops, you dropped something:
pooh.jpg

leadblimp

I have been looking at this thread for a couple of weeks now. I just happened by it while looking over the interwebs for navadmin and sta-21 related material.

I have also been wondering with the large amount of interest in this site, who has been trying to get picked up for the longest time. Personally this is my 5th try.

Hendog84

That's right os2, they completely forgot about their responsibilities. Never mind the fact that it's early in the fiscal year, budgets are never what you want them to be, folks in the office are IA'd so there's never enough hands to get stuff done. Is it not fast enough for you? Do you think that there's abosolutely no pressure on them to release the message as fast and accurately as possible? How would you do their job?

Oops, you dropped something:

I agree with OS2, i'm not trying to call or anything but is shouldn't take longer than a month to release the results especially since the boards were held in mid Sept. Not to mention that I'm sure their decisions weren't waiting on the budgets to be released.

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I agree with OS2, i'm not trying to call or anything but is shouldn't take longer than a month to release the results especially since the boards were held in mid Sept. Not to mention that I'm sure their decisions weren't waiting on the budgets to be released.

Your right, this decision has normally not taken this long and it does suck for those who are waiting. Let us not forget that there has to be a reason why it has taken so long, and since we do not know that reason why should we ultimately assume that someone has forgotten? I think we have the tendency to over look how big these results affect the navy. There is more to this then simply posting the results for us to see, they will eventually have to cut orders, ensure that they send replacements to individuals picked up for this program, ensure there is money to pay for the upcoming moves and ensure that all the i's are dotted and all t's are crossed in every piece of paper that is issued.

By kicking and screaming you will effectively have done nothing, except maybe piss someone off.