• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
On another note, I had surgery in July on my ACL/Mensicus. I'm progressing pretty good and I passed the PRT. I never had to go on LIMDU or do a med board. I don't want to read the entire OPNAVINST on this stuff so could anyone tell me if any of this would disqualify me if I was selected?

Well I can tell you I had an individual in my NSI class that was on LLD and had been for the past 3 years. They were during NSI as well. I have no idea how that person was selected or why they were/are allowed to stay in the program. Not to mention they were out of standards. I know the instruction goes against all of that. Makes you think. :confused:

So to sum it up, I agree with the other guys that if you can pass your physical and make it to NSI you will be fine. Especially since you can actually pass a PRT.

robertdm27

Anybody on here ever heard of a guy not being fully cleared on his physicals (waiting for PRK) and still going to NSI?

ac2nasty are you at KU? were you a crewman before selection?

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I think this by far the latest that the results have been posted in the history of the STA-21 program. Even when Katrina hit, the delay wasn't this long

FY06 results came out on Oct 31st.

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Anybody on here ever heard of a guy not being fully cleared on his physicals (waiting for PRK) and still going to NSI?

ac2nasty are you at KU? were you a crewman before selection?

I do not know of any pilot pre-selects the were still in need of PRK that were able to go to NSI; however, I do personally know a NFO pre-select that went to NSI before he had PRK.

robertdm27

I do not know of any pilot pre-selects the were still in need of PRK that were able to go to NSI; however, I do personally know a NFO pre-select that went to NSI before he had PRK.

Do you know if he needed it in order to pass his physicals for NFO? Im just curious cause I am just slightly out on the eyes but good on everything else. I am getting the sergery next month but have to wait 3 after that to get the final good to go. Its really going to suck if I get it and then turned down to to a scheduling error at optomology.

subwife4404

First post for me. I've been checking this for my husband every day while he was deployed. And I just want to say, this is getting a little sucky. Good luck to all of you. I hope the news is good and comes soon!

Brydown1

Do you know if he needed it in order to pass his physicals for NFO? Im just curious cause I am just slightly out on the eyes but good on everything else. I am getting the sergery next month but have to wait 3 after that to get the final good to go. Its really going to suck if I get it and then turned down to to a scheduling error at optomology.

No I am not sure of his exact circumstances that he needed to go through, but I can ask him next week when I see him in the wardroom and get back to you. Not that I am trying to keep you waiting, but I don't have his phone number or I would get a hold of him tomorrow.

robertdm27

No I am not sure of his exact circumstances that he needed to go through, but I can ask him next week when I see him in the wardroom and get back to you. Not that I am trying to keep you waiting, but I don't have his phone number or I would get a hold of him tomorrow.

Thanks, i do appreciate it because no one can give me an idea of what sta-21 is going to do. I even called and asked Ed, he said "well you should have thoight of that before you applied". Thanks Ed. The catch is I have been approved sense 06 but my command said no until you get approved to go.

3rdtimer

Thanks for all the reply's. Another question. I applied for SWO/Core and am probably going to be picked up for Core if anything at all. I think we all know Pilot/NFO's have the best jobs in the Navy and if I get picked up for Core, that's still an option to me. Whats the best way (besides getting good grades in college) to get selected for Pilot/NFO in that situation?

Steelerfan23

My question is...Doesnt BUPERS have duty sections that can release messages on the weekends? I am on shore duty and have to work the weekends once in a while....im just sayin'....

ELT(SS)

Thanks for all the reply's. Another question. I applied for SWO/Core and am probably going to be picked up for Core if anything at all. I think we all know Pilot/NFO's have the best jobs in the Navy and if I get picked up for Core, that's still an option to me. Whats the best way (besides getting good grades in college) to get selected for Pilot/NFO in that situation?
They have a way to measure everybody, and then hypothetically they go down the list from high to low scores.
This factors in GPA, PFA, and CO's recommendation. The best way, at least here, to get a good recommendation is to take leadership positions in the battalion when you get there. So being a nerd, running fast and telling people what to do will help you get what you want.
Oh yeah, and bug the pilot OI for ASTB study material before you take the test.

Brydown1

I am sure you have heard this answer many of times, "It is all based of the needs of the Navy." Which, in this case, is completely true. One thing you must also realize, if you go core option you are not just competing against other OC's who are graduating that year. You are in the same pool as the NROTC and Naval Academy grads (possibly also the OCS grads, but not entirely sure) on getting those aviation slots. Luckily; however, they do split the numbers* between the Academy and the NROTC units across the nation. So ultimately you end up competing against all the other MIDN at the NROTC's.

Things that will make you more competitive is having a higher GPA. Being involved in your unit and taking leadership roles within your student battalion. Also, how well you do on your PRT can sometimes play a factor. The final thing that I believe will make or break your chances in going CORE to SNA is the ASTB. The higher the scores the better.

Oh and a word of advice, if you happened to do well in physics and calculus and you don't want to do anything associated with the nuclear program, make sure you exclude the nuke options on your "dream sheet" when you service select the beginning of your senior year.

I hope that helped.