• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

AmericanRiver

Bigfoot Slam Dunk Rainmaker
I am submitting a copy of my Page 4's, copies of my 2 NAMs, 2 FLOC's, and EAWS. Recently I shortened my personal statement to 3/4 of a page. Cutting out community service and school to focus soley on experience and leadership.
I am applying for a non technical degree (Business Marketing) and have been told that going for a technical degree will make a difference in the selction process? What is the forums take on that?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Finally have my package put together: scores, transcripts, lor's, etc. I have one last question concerning the enclosures. My chain of command is giving me mixed feedback. Some are telling me to put them on my ACT, ASTB, Evals, and PFA scores using a typewriter or a label maker. Some are telling me not to because it will cause the package to look trashy. Curious what your suggestions are and how most of you did it. I think it might be more of personal preference but I'm not sure.

AnericanRiver- I don't think they select individuals based on what degree you are going to get. You can always tell them you are going for one and end up changing your mind for whatever reason later on. Technical degrees are suggested but not required. Your stats look similar to mine, score wise. I haven't been recruiting and don't have as many awards but most everything else you mentioned sounds close. I think you have a good shot especially since you were an alternate last year. Make sure you add that into your personal statement this year. Hopefully we will be in class together this coming Feb-Mar time frame in Newport. Good luck!!!

IS2(SW)

How many of you guys that have gotten selected in the previous cycles are married or have dependents? Does it really matter to the board when they go through applicants packages for selection??

ELT(SS)

How many of you guys that have gotten selected in the previous cycles are married or have dependents? Does it really matter to the board when they go through applicants packages for selection??
I would say at least half of us in the last NSI class were married, I don't think it matters to the board.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Finally have my package put together: scores, transcripts, lor's, etc. I have one last question concerning the enclosures. My chain of command is giving me mixed feedback. Some are telling me to put them on my ACT, ASTB, Evals, and PFA scores using a typewriter or a label maker. Some are telling me not to because it will cause the package to look trashy. Curious what your suggestions are and how most of you did it. I think it might be more of personal preference but I'm not sure.

I left all my enclosures for my transcripts blank because I was also confused on how to show what enclosures they were. I don't believe the board cares about how you placed your enclosures. I have been told on this forum that they also take your package apart and maybe thats why enclosures do not matter. Just get your information in, in the correct order, and the rest is not needed.

BrickNole

pilot
where do LOR's go? between the skipper's recommendation/interview and cover page, or in the back by qualifications and crap like that?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
2 weeks left!!! It's crunch time!!

Only two weeks left until the packages are due. Hope everybody is complete or almost complete. I have my last board this coming week and then play the waiting game until October. Good luck to all!!!

Maybe some of you guys that have been helping us hopefuls can share how BOOST/NSI is going this year. The NSI group should done and getting ready for school by now. Just curious how things are going. I know there are a handful of forums that go over NSI/BOOST but am curious about the guys that have been helping us. I know I said it before but thanks to all who have gave suggestions and helpful hints. I probably wouldn't have a package this year or it would be a very weak package without you guys.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
NSI is nothing to really sweat over. There is a faint resemblance to boot camp in some ways but for the most part; if you act like an adult, they will treat you like one. You're basically there to get 6 of the ROTC classes out of the way and get issued your uniforms.

Summer sessions are awesome! Very relaxed, just go to class. We PT at our unit once a week during the summer, no drill, no having to wear uniforms to class. Like EM1 said, Livin' the dream...

k_smittay

If you get selected consider yourself golden...

BOOST is academically semi-challenging.. but the military aspect is near non-existent...

NSI is cake...

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Glad to hear you guys are doing well and enjoying yourselves. I do have 2 last minute questions.​

1. I had an LDO (O-3) sit on my Internal Command Board that isn't in my target option in which I am applying. My command is small with few officers; let alone pilots. I had 2 pilots and the LDO conduct my board. To be sure I wasn't penalized (hopefully) I added "Due to the limited number of Officers assigned to my Command, an LDO not within the applicant's target group option community was chosen to sit the in-command interview board." on my CO's endorsement. Will this statement waive me from the the no LDO on boards rule? I know they can be if they are in your target option but mine was a weapons officer and I am applying for pilot. Either way it is to late to change so the selection board will have the final say. I am just curious.​

2. The instruction says for the external board that "This second board should consist of three URL Navy officers (Lieutenant (0-3) and above) not from the applicant’s command, including one chairperson currently serving as a commanding officer and not subordinate to the applicant’s commanding officer.". My question is what if my CO is an O-6 but the CO who conducted my external board was an O-5? I had 2 O-5's (one being the CO) and an O-4 on my external board. Does that violate the "subordinate" guideline? He was a rank below but none the less a CO. Again with the deadline right around the corner it is to late to set up another board therefore just curious.

haubby

None
Contributor
I had a Warrant and an LDO sit on my board last year. Your statement was pretty much verbatim what was in my endorsement. Best of luck to you.