• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I had the same thing (question #2) last year, my CO was an O-6 and went to another command with an O-5. My CO and I read that to mean chain of command subordinate not rank. Say you are attached to a squadron (subs since that's what I know) for shore duty and your CO would be an O-6. You should not then go to one of the CO's of the subs within that squadron for an interview since those CO's would technically be subordinate to your CO. No matter the ranks of either officer as long as they fall in different CoC you should be good. But I'm sure there's even exceptions to that for commands that have no options due to remoteness and other reasons. I know lots of people got selected last year and didn't even have the second interview because they were at a command where there were no other officers or whatever. Good luck!

Glad to hear you guys are doing well and enjoying yourselves. I do have 2 last minute questions.​

1. I had an LDO (O-3) sit on my Internal Command Board that isn't in my target option in which I am applying. My command is small with few officers; let alone pilots. I had 2 pilots and the LDO conduct my board. To be sure I wasn't penalized (hopefully) I added "Due to the limited number of Officers assigned to my Command, an LDO not within the applicant's target group option community was chosen to sit the in-command interview board." on my CO's endorsement. Will this statement waive me from the the no LDO on boards rule? I know they can be if they are in your target option but mine was a weapons officer and I am applying for pilot. Either way it is to late to change so the selection board will have the final say. I am just curious.​

2. The instruction says for the external board that "This second board should consist of three URL Navy officers (Lieutenant (0-3) and above) not from the applicant’s command, including one chairperson currently serving as a commanding officer and not subordinate to the applicant’s commanding officer.". My question is what if my CO is an O-6 but the CO who conducted my external board was an O-5? I had 2 O-5's (one being the CO) and an O-4 on my external board. Does that violate the "subordinate" guideline? He was a rank below but none the less a CO. Again with the deadline right around the corner it is to late to set up another board therefore just curious.

skillz

2. The instruction says for the external board that "This second board should consist of three URL Navy officers (Lieutenant (0-3) and above) not from the applicant’s command, including one chairperson currently serving as a commanding officer and not subordinate to the applicant’s commanding officer.". My question is what if my CO is an O-6 but the CO who conducted my external board was an O-5? I had 2 O-5's (one being the CO) and an O-4 on my external board. Does that violate the "subordinate" guideline? He was a rank below but none the less a CO. Again with the deadline right around the corner it is to late to set up another board therefore just curious.

I had a question regarding the Nomination Boards Chairperson, so I called down and talked directly to Ed Straten. The only requirement for the Chairperson of the outside board is that they currently be a CO or they were a prior CO of a command. Hope this helps.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Thanks once again! Glad to hear others with packages similiar to mine have/are being selected. Your answers will put my mind at rest. These next few months would be even more stressful if I wasn't even sure my package was complete and correct.

I completed my last interview today so my package is finally done. They are gonna type up the interview sheets to make them look more professional. Hopefully have it in the mail tomorrow or Monday. Now it's time to play the waiting game. Being my first time applying I am more than nervous. Good luck to all who are applying this year as well as those who are where I hope to be next year.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
If I remember correctly it says somewhere they are supposed to be typed. I had some interviewers try to submit written forms with my package one of the years I was NOT selected. I tried to make the corrections that year but it was a big pain in the A$$ to go track down the guy and ask him to redo his form. I was pretty annoyed too since I had asked during my interview to please type them and even left an electronic copy of the form with them. Oh well, its all part of the process and those that get it all figured out and done correctly on time are the ones that get to move forward.

Thanks once again! Glad to hear others with packages similiar to mine have/are being selected. Your answers will put my mind at rest. These next few months would be even more stressful if I wasn't even sure my package was complete and correct.

I completed my last interview today so my package is finally done. They are gonna type up the interview sheets to make them look more professional. Hopefully have it in the mail tomorrow or Monday. Now it's time to play the waiting game. Being my first time applying I am more than nervous. Good luck to all who are applying this year as well as those who are where I hope to be next year.

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
Well my package will be mailed off this week. Now it's time to hurry up and wait. Just had my nomination review board with the CO and a couple of flight instuctors from VT-4, got excellent appraisals from them all. Hopefully all the work that everyone has put into their packages will pay off come this fall.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
just finished my nomination review board today, went very well, now I just have to hurry and wait. Waiting till October is worse than waiting on advancement results!!!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
jbuck387 and 0812GM is this your first time applying? I'm guessing so. It seems we have a lot in common. All of us waited for the last week or two to finish our boards and mail our package off. I think most who have applied in previous cycles had their's mailed off months ago. It doesn't matter when you finish as long as it's in by the due date though. Best of luck to everyone this cycle. What option is everybody applying for?

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
Yes it is my first time applying. I would of had my package done a month ago, but we had a huge explosives safety inspection so I had to put my package on the backburner for some time. I submitted my package thru my COC back in April and hopefully it will be mailed of today. I am applying for NFO

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
I finished in mid April and began routing it through my COC, and I think every single officer it went through wanted to make 100 changes to my personal statement and CO endorcement letter. Anyways it is done, and it is my first time applying.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I finished in mid April and began routing it through my COC, and I think every single officer it went through wanted to make 100 changes to my personal statement and CO endorcement letter. Anyways it is done, and it is my first time applying.

Just a bit of advice based on personal experience. Your personal statement is YOUR personal statement. Having someone come behind you to correct spelling, grammar, clarity is great, but I would recommend not changing anything beyond that. Something as simple as a word change can give your paper a completely different feel and may not reflect what you were trying to say. I had an Officer completely change the wording in my personal statement right before it was mailed off 2 years ago. I didn't find out about it until long after my package had been submitted. The paper had a completely different aura about it and I felt it didn't reflect the kind of person I am.

The next year I made sure no one changed it. I felt really good about how it turned out, and the Officers on my boards thought it was done very well (they all mentioned it in the interviews). Your personal statement is the most important part of portraying the kind of person you are to the selection board. They will get 7+ opinions of who you are from the Officers that interview you. You only have 1 chance to share your true intentions, etc. with the board and that is through your Personal Statement.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Just curious how they changed it without your knowledge, since you are supposed to sign your statement.

I had an Officer completely change the wording in my personal statement right before it was mailed off 2 years ago. I didn't find out about it until long after my package had been submitted. The paper had a completely different aura about it and I felt it didn't reflect the kind of person I am.

SkywardET

Contrarian
Package is in First Class mail now. Fortunately, waiting isn't hard if you're almost positive that you won't get selected.

I do have a question though, for anyone that might be able to answer. My command seems to be trying to get my orders held in abeyance, even though I did receive them before the deadline. According to the instruction, orders I receive after the deadline will be held in abeyance, but it doesn't specify whether that can apply to orders received before-hand. Since orders are usually given 6-9 months in advance of the PCS date, and the window between the deadline and the selection is only 4 months, has anyone had their orders held in abeyance by their command, awaiting selection results?

haubby

None
Contributor
Your CoC should be in contact with your detailer talking about an ordmod to await results once your package is mailed off. What a great feeling it is to have it in the mail! That wait is the toughest part though. Hope it all works out for everyone that applied this year!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
SkyWard ET,
At least you wont have to sit around for months agonizing about you "package". Seriously though, try to put it out of your mind as much as possible and keep strokin' on the things that are going to get you picked up next time around. And if you get selected this time, it will come like a huge, kick ass suprise!