• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

GCJ8404

If you're willing to share...what did you update on your recent package to make you a better candidate than your first go around?

I updated my mission statement, plus a recon (reconsideration letter) that I know was thoughtful and endearing. These boards are probably great at what they do, which is to choose a very defined candidate which in my mind translates to little diversity in thought within the ranks. My opinion though.

zamtz

I feel your frustration....what were your credentials? I received 10, 10, 10, 9 on my interviews and didn't get selected.

1835 candidate with 1825 as secondary

BA - Computer Science (DePaul University) 3.2 GPA
MS - Information Systems (DePaul University) 3.4 GPA
MBA - Operations Management (Purdue University) 3.1 GPA

Multiple security certs including CISM and CISSP. 20+ yrs experience in IT, 10yrs exclusively in security.
Currently employed as a Sr. Director of cybersecurity at an investment bank.
How on earth did you not get selected? I received the exact same interview scores as you but I have zero IT certs and only a BS in engineering, it seems like theres like no rhyme or reason sometimes for these selections.

number9

Contributor
I feel your frustration....what were your credentials? I received 10, 10, 10, 9 on my interviews and didn't get selected.

1835 candidate with 1825 as secondary

BA - Computer Science (DePaul University) 3.2 GPA
MS - Information Systems (DePaul University) 3.4 GPA
MBA - Operations Management (Purdue University) 3.1 GPA

Multiple security certs including CISM and CISSP. 20+ yrs experience in IT, 10yrs exclusively in security.
Currently employed as a Sr. Director of cybersecurity at an investment bank.
I would push your recruiter hard for feedback on why you didn't get selected with those scores and that résumé.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
How on earth did you not get selected? I received the exact same interview scores as you but I have zero IT certs and only a BS in engineering, it seems like theres like no rhyme or reason sometimes for these selections.
If ten people have the same qualifications and scores and there are only nine slots open, one person will not get selected.

zamtz

If ten people have the same qualifications and scores and there are only nine slots open, one person will not get selected.
I’ve been told if they want you and there’s not enough slots you will still get selected and be pushed into the next cycle’s slot.

exNavyOffRec

I would push your recruiter hard for feedback on why you didn't get selected with those scores and that résumé.
The board doesn't give feedback and some recruiters will not disclose anything from the appraisal sheets. In some cases it is just a little phrase that could do it. I remember seeing an appraisal where the applicant had 10's from each board member but then the OIC had a phrase that said "I have 90% confidence in this candidate to ........." that right there was enough to keep him from getting selected.

Age could have been a factor as well.

number9

Contributor
The board doesn't give feedback and some recruiters will not disclose anything from the appraisal sheets. In some cases it is just a little phrase that could do it. I remember seeing an appraisal where the applicant had 10's from each board member but then the OIC had a phrase that said "I have 90% confidence in this candidate to ........." that right there was enough to keep him from getting selected.

Age could have been a factor as well.
I get that some recruiters may not always disclose it, but with a resume like OP's and interview scores like theirs we must be missing something.

exNavyOffRec

I get that some recruiters may not always disclose it, but with a resume like OP's and interview scores like theirs we must be missing something.
It is possible, without looking at the entire application hard to know for sure.

The thing that sticks out to me is age, max age is 42 but can be waivered up to 54 I believe, but that doesn't mean the board won't still look at it as a negative thing.

I would say the info that was posted looks like a good candidate.

zamtz

It is possible, without looking at the entire application hard to know for sure.

The thing that sticks out to me is age, max age is 42 but can be waivered up to 54 I believe, but that doesn't mean the board won't still look at it as a negative thing.

Im thinking age and/or clearance eligibility. Only guesses though.

jh81

I am currently 41 and was point blank asked why I waited so long to pursue a commission. I was a little taken aback by the question but walked through my circumstances and the mitigating factors which now put me in a place to where I felt I could put in 20 years.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Im thinking age and/or clearance eligibility. Only guesses though.

Explain the latter. Are you not TS-eligible? Or simply are you inferring NOT currently having a TS hurt you?

The age could have been it. I would recommend discussing with your recruiter and/or Region OIC to troubleshoot and possibly fix.