• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

jrh0425

What is ODS-AMA?
AMA: Ask me anything. It's an FAQ for ODS. It's on this site.

number9

Contributor
I'm getting ready to put my packet together for the August board, but I wanted to put something here for a more broad audience.

Does it ever make sense to choose a non-local NOSC? For example if there isn't much representation of your designator at your NOSC but there is at a bigger NOSC one state (or two) over...

subreservist

I'm getting ready to put my packet together for the August board, but I wanted to put something here for a more broad audience.

Does it ever make sense to choose a non-local NOSC? For example if there isn't much representation of your designator at your NOSC but there is at a bigger NOSC one state (or two) over...

There's no reason to do that. If there is no openings locally, you can just be cross-assigned and still drill locally and the Navy will provide funding for you to drill quarterly at another unit. Unless there is just a particular place you want to go drill for personal reasons and don't care paying at your own expense for it.

number9

Contributor
There's no reason to do that. If there is no openings locally, you can just be cross-assigned and still drill locally and the Navy will provide funding for you to drill quarterly at another unit. Unless there is just a particular place you want to go drill for personal reasons and don't care paying at your own expense for it.
Thank you! Do people ever do the latter?

subreservist

I've known a few - but typically those are O-5 or above, where rank no longer qualifies to take part in being cross-assigned.

number9

Contributor
Is there a motivational statement thread for us DCO folks? I've gone through the last few pages of the megathread but it's obviously quite OCS-specific. Owing to our ages and careers, I figure most of us are going to have somewhat different reasons for joining than OCS candidates.

Within that megathread are nuggets of DCO-specific information like this post in particular, but I was wondering if we have any threads specific to us DCOs?

jrh0425

Is there a motivational statement thread for us DCO folks? I've gone through the last few pages of the megathread but it's obviously quite OCS-specific. Owing to our ages and careers, I figure most of us are going to have somewhat different reasons for joining than OCS candidates.

Within that megathread are nuggets of DCO-specific information like this post in particular, but I was wondering if we have any threads specific to us DCOs?

Aside from the "mega thread" there are also a few reddit threads but I found there is no "boiler plate" statement. It's your shot to tell the board who you are and should provide insight about you that isn't in your resume. Also if you have access to a writting center, I would have them assist. I used my schools graduate writing center to update my statement between my first and second boards. I can say they helped a lot and the updated statement was better IMO. I was selected my second time.

number9

Contributor
Aside from the "mega thread" there are also a few reddit threads but I found there is no "boiler plate" statement. It's your shot to tell the board who you are and should provide insight about you that isn't in your resume. Also if you have access to a writting center, I would have them assist. I used my schools graduate writing center to update my statement between my first and second boards. I can say they helped a lot and the updated statement was better IMO. I was selected my second time.
If you have any good Reddit threads already bookmarked, would you mind sharing them here? The best one I can find is probably this one.

I've also searched the AW megathread for reserv* and it did come up with some helpful posts.

jrh0425

If you have any good Reddit threads already bookmarked, would you mind sharing them here? The best one I can find is probably this one.

I've also searched the AW megathread for reserv* and it did come up with some helpful posts.

Here's some of the ones I have bookmarked.

Navy motivational statement Reddit Search

newnavymember

I'll be happy to share my motivational statement - just dm your email address.
Thank God, I got selected in the last board meeting and I was one of the only 2 IP O3s