• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

LawDawg740

Anyone know who handles conditional releases? Heard from my recruiter that he’s waiting for that before he can do anything.
Hey, Boss. What branch/component are you trying to get your DA 368 from?

I spend two months sending emails and making phone calls before I got mine into the right chain to be pushed.

LawDawg740

Howdy, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Beings as how there are a handful of newly minted Intel Officers in this thread, I wanted to pick your brain a bit.

BA in International Relations, 3.89 GPA,
In-progress JD (law school), 3.802 GPA, 12/97 class rank, Law Review Member, and just took a posh job with a large firm in my city
6 Years in the Army Reserve as PSYOP, one combat deployment, one strategic deployment
Within age parameters (I am 25)

At this point, I have gathered documentation and waiting for my Conditional Release to be signed (currently in the IRR w/ the Army). As I understand it, I will hit MEPS, have some interviews with current Intel Officers, and submit a motivational statement. What recommendations/tips/tricks do ya'll have for the motivational statement and interviews? What worked for you?

jdjohn5

Hey, Boss. What branch/component are you trying to get your DA 368 from?

I spend two months sending emails and making phone calls before I got mine into the right chain to be pushed.
I'm actually in the Navy reserves already just on the enlisted side so trying to figure out if it's big Navy or just the region.

camden76

Howdy, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Beings as how there are a handful of newly minted Intel Officers in this thread, I wanted to pick your brain a bit.

In-progress JD (law school), 3.802 GPA, 12/97 class rank, Law Review Member, and just took a posh job with a large firm in my city
6 Years in the Army Reserve as PSYOP, one combat deployment, one strategic deployment

At this point, I have gathered documentation and waiting for my Conditional Release to be signed (currently in the IRR w/ the Army). As I understand it, I will hit MEPS, have some interviews with current Intel Officers, and submit a motivational statement. What recommendations/tips/tricks do ya'll have for the motivational statement and interviews? What worked for you?

Write a targeted motivational statement. One that caters specifically to Intel and how you are relevant. As for interviews make sure you have good questions to ask. And have examples from your professional career at the ready to answer situational questions that will most assuredly come up.

OmoOba

I'm actually in the Navy reserves already just on the enlisted side so trying to figure out if it's big Navy or just the region.
Give it to your nosc Admin, let them know is for your commission. What nosc you currently belong to?

Hair Warrior

Contributor

What year of law school are you in?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My unsolicited $0.02 -

You’re young. Finish law school. Your 2L-3L summer is going to be your best shot at a lucrative law firm internship or clerkship - don’t waste it. Law school is hard enough already to have one weekend a month and 5+ weeks a year spent on ENS drills and ODS. Go line up that awesome law career you clearly want, and give it your 100%. Circle back to Navy Reserve Intel once you’ve got your JD, passed the Bar, and spent at least 1-2 grueling first years as a brand new Associate attorney at a big name firm or clerking for your favorite judge. The Navy Reserve can wait. You don’t want to stumble in your legal career because you have to take 5 weeks off at your new job for ODS, then another 5 weeks for NIOBC, and a weekend each month not being able to relax or travel. If you were 35, maybe I’d give different advice.

LawDawg740

My unsolicited $0.02 -

You’re young. Finish law school. Your 2L-3L summer is going to be your best shot at a lucrative law firm internship or clerkship - don’t waste it. Law school is hard enough already to have one weekend a month and 5+ weeks a year spent on ENS drills and ODS. Go line up that awesome law career you clearly want, and give it your 100%. Circle back to Navy Reserve Intel once you’ve got your JD, passed the Bar, and spent at least 1-2 grueling first years as a brand new Associate attorney at a big name firm or clerking for your favorite judge. The Navy Reserve can wait. You don’t want to stumble in your legal career because you have to take 5 weeks off at your new job for ODS, then another 5 weeks for NIOBC, and a weekend each month not being able to relax or travel. If you were 35, maybe I’d give different advice.
I appreciate the input. Given your familiarity with the toils of law students and our prospects out of law school, I assume you're at least somewhat connected to the legal profession.

Ironically, I went into the IRR to focus on law school and building a professional identity. Yet here I am looking for a way to come back in, albeit in a much different capacity.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I admire your service. Your prior enlistment, warzone deployment, and postgraduate degree will be viewed favorably by the selection board. If you want to join now, you probably can. But it may not be best for your civilian career in terms of timing. You probably want to join after you’ve gotted a bit settled as an attorney and can afford to “coast” in your day job without getting noticed or singled out in a bad way.

Also, you may want to temper your expectations of what Navy Reserve Intel is, vs what people build it up to be. I know a few JOs who have dropped to IRR already (some before finishing their PQS quals) because they found that the paperwork-realwork ratio was not what they imagined. YMMV.

DENSFG

Just an update on my process since things have been slow lately. I went to MEPS last Monday and had to request a waiver for LASIK. I was requested to complete both my 1-on-1 interview and a panel interview late last week; I feel that they went extraordinarily well. My recruiter reached to me yesterday and stated that the waiver was granted and my packet is now complete.

Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

kevincvk

Just an update on my process since things have been slow lately. I went to MEPS last Monday and had to request a waiver for LASIK. I was requested to complete both my 1-on-1 interview and a panel interview late last week; I feel that they went extraordinarily well. My recruiter reached to me yesterday and stated that the waiver was granted and my packet is now complete.

Good luck to everyone and stay safe.
Good luck!!

Squirrel Girl

I went to MEPS last Monday and had to request a waiver for LASIK.

Did they mention anything about ease of obtaining the LASIK waiver? I also had the procedure done and assumed (incorrectly) waivers were only needed for the flying community.