• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2016 STA-21 Applicants

KlavianZero

I

I honestly thought i was better prepared. I did submit this year, my package is definitely better but i feel that not having an AS yet hurts me a little. I should be done with my BS by the end of next year if i keep pumping out these classes. I hope i get picked up by sta21 but if i dont, im definitely going to put in for OCS.

Just a couple weeks left man I hope you get selected! I know I am nervously awaiting a multitude of things for these next few weeks, ive got a conversion and a this STA-21 package. Best of luck to everyone!

coreyring

Does anybody know how many NFOs they're picking up this year? Do they put out quotas?

Coming from the STA-21 Office, they receive quotas, but do not release them until results are out. The only way you will know if from the NAVADMIN in October. The past three years there has only been one selectee for NFO.

Speaking of results, the OCS selection came out early, from what it sounds like on the other forums. Hopefully we will see them in the beginning of October.

Dewse5150

Coming from the STA-21 Office, they receive quotas, but do not release them until results are out. The only way you will know if from the NAVADMIN in October. The past three years there has only been one selectee for NFO.

Speaking of results, the OCS selection came out early, from what it sounds like on the other forums. Hopefully we will see them in the beginning of October.

Yea but they need more NFOs and Pilots according to NPC, so I was thinking maybe they'll select more than usual like they did a couple years ago. I thought OCS results were different at least for Pilot/NFO since they have rolling boards, so the timing of results varies more?

coreyring

Yea but they need more NFOs and Pilots according to NPC, so I was thinking maybe they'll select more than usual like they did a couple years ago. I thought OCS results were different at least for Pilot/NFO since they have rolling boards, so the timing of results varies more?

Yes I saw the same thing. I emailed the NFO Community manager and he told me not to expect an increase in STA-21 quotas. STA-21 numbers are determined 3 years out, so just because they need NFOs now does not mean they are projected to need them later.

I hope I am wrong. I would like to see an increase in quotas as well!

exNavyOffRec

Yes I saw the same thing. I emailed the NFO Community manager and he told me not to expect an increase in STA-21 quotas. STA-21 numbers are determined 3 years out, so just because they need NFOs now does not mean they are projected to need them later.

I hope I am wrong. I would like to see an increase in quotas as well!

Think of it this way, the USN pays for those selected STA-21 to go to school, health care, etc...... but if the grab someone out of college and send them to OCS they don't, that is why OCS is there to make up for any extra needs they have and why STA-21 selection numbers have remained the same for many years, or decreased.

If you aren't making a plan to complete your degree and apply to OCS you should be.

coreyring

Think of it this way, the USN pays for those selected STA-21 to go to school, health care, etc...... but if the grab someone out of college and send them to OCS they don't, that is why OCS is there to make up for any extra needs they have and why STA-21 selection numbers have remained the same for many years, or decreased.

If you aren't making a plan to complete your degree and apply to OCS you should be.

Agreed!

If you aren't selected for STA-21 working for towards your degree will help you for next years application.

Ultimately, it will make you eligible for OCS. If anyone has questions about getting set up feel free to contact me!

KlavianZero

I had a quick question for those of you who have submitted before.
After the boards do you find out where your package was lacking or is it more along the lines of try again and guess where the weak points are? This of course goes along with the assumption your package made it past the initial looks and was sent to a chopping block and sorted. Thanks in advance!
Matt

weq820

FY16 STA-21 Applicant, Pilot
I had a quick question for those of you who have submitted before.
After the boards do you find out where your package was lacking or is it more along the lines of try again and guess where the weak points are? This of course goes along with the assumption your package made it past the initial looks and was sent to a chopping block and sorted. Thanks in advance!
Matt

After my interview boards, the officers pulled me back in and gave me feedback. I don't know if this is typical, but it was very helpful in making me aware of the strong and weak parts of my package and interview.

Justin Dowd

HeloGuy87
I saw one year they made like 15 NFO selectees and after that not much. Hopefully that changes this year! Good Luck everyone!

KlavianZero

After my interview boards, the officers pulled me back in and gave me feedback. I don't know if this is typical, but it was very helpful in making me aware of the strong and weak parts of my package and interview.

dunno man I actually have all of my appraisals and a few other packages from friends so I know what they look for and how to get 10s across the board. I am more concerned with after the packages are at PERS what kind of feedback we receive from the board that approves and denies packages.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
dunno man I actually have all of my appraisals and a few other packages from friends so I know what they look for and how to get 10s across the board. I am more concerned with after the packages are at PERS what kind of feedback we receive from the board that approves and denies packages.

These packages don't go to PERS. They go to NSTC in Pensacola.

We won't receive feedback from the board at all. If you're lucky you'll run into someone who has sat the board, but that is very unlikely to happen. This program is a mystery, but you can read the board's recommendations in the Fleet Brief.

SAR2NFO

SAR2SWO
Since everyone else put their stats ill put mine in too. I know im lacking in certain areas already and plan to get more college knocked out for my next package if not selected for this cycle.

RATE/RANK: AWR1(NAC/AW/SW)
APPLYING FOR: NFO/Core
EVALS:
P (less than 90 day eval), EP, #1 EP,#1 EP, #1 EP, #1 MP (Recent-Oldest)
SMART: lots
COLLEGE: 23 completed credits
HIGH SCHOOL: 2.605 GPA
ASTB-E: 5/6/5 OAR:49
LEADERSHIP: OPS LPO, NCEA Program manager, SARPO, Lead Crewman for 2 Detachments, Instructor Aircrewman, ALSS CDQAR/Progam manager
AWARDS: Nam (5), HSL-49 Aircrewman of the year (2012),HSM Wing Aircrewman of the year (2012) JSOQ 2012, FLOC (2)
VOLUNTEER: Minuscule amount
TIS: 8.7 years
SAT: 600 (Reading), 550 (Math)
WARFARE QUALS: NAC/AW/SW
PRT: Good,Excellent, Excellent
Officer Interview/Nomination Board(Internal) LCDR,LT,LT, (External) CNAF- CDR(prior CO[NFO]), LCDR(NFO), LCDR(Pilot) Chairperson-CDR (Prior CO[NFO])
LORs: Executive officer of HT-8, CDR
MISC: 2000 flight hours, fully mission qualified in the MH60R

good luck to everyone! Result Postings cant come fast enough!