• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Hello,

Been reading through the posts for a while.

Applying for Septembers board, 1820 IP/1815 CW

Mil Stats:
Prior Active Duty - 4 years, IT.
Current AF reservist, 4 years. Cyberspace Operations Unit

Education Stats:
BS in Computer Management and Information Systems - GPA = 3.32 Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
MS in Cyber Security Management - expected grad. 12/21 - GPA = 4.0 Washington University-STL

Certifications: PMP, CCNP, CCNA Security, Splunk Core User, Sec+, CISSP (just passed, waiting for the endorsement process to complete)

Worked as a network engineer for that past 18+ years.

I think some were ineligible due to incomplete packages as well.

To echo OmoOba stick to your recruiter and get them what they need - my recruiter was definitely happy having me as I was proactive and it never took me more then an hour to respond to and arrange whatever I needed to move forward. This included multiple trips for medical to get the right boxes checked off, I made a post somewhere in this thread detailing the exact boxes you need checked off fyi.

You're prior so you know you are expected to go above and beyond especially as a potential mustang. I would be ready to answer the question as to why you're choosing the USN vice USAF, especially considering as I understand it the USAF Reserves prefer to promote from within so you have a pipeline there already. The good news is the USN has the coolest missions .. which is why I didn't think twice about going back USAF.

Truly impressive people apply for these slots and often aren't selected first round (or at all) - Go all out and get your package polished as much as possible. For example I believed my package was very strong and I was the only select from my designator brought in as O1 whereas everyone else came onboard O2 - this immediately confirmed that I went up against some very impressive folks.

If you aren't selected first round, I was told over and over, keep trying.

I think finding and joining this community was the most beneficial step I took and I'm impressed daily by the caliber of folks here taking the time to contribute.

jrh0425

To echo OmoOba stick to your recruiter and get them what they need - my recruiter was definitely happy having me as I was proactive and it never took me more then an hour to respond to and arrange whatever I needed to move forward. This included multiple trips for medical to get the right boxes checked off, I made a post somewhere in this thread detailing the exact boxes you need checked off fyi.

You're prior so you know you are expected to go above and beyond especially as a potential mustang. I would be ready to answer the question as to why you're choosing the USN vice USAF, especially considering as I understand it the USAF Reserves prefer to promote from within so you have a pipeline there already. The good news is the USN has the coolest missions .. which is why I didn't think twice about going back USAF.

Truly impressive people apply for these slots and often aren't selected first round (or at all) - Go all out and get your package polished as much as possible. For example I believed my package was very strong and I was the only select from my designator brought in as O1 whereas everyone else came onboard O2 - this immediately confirmed that I went up against some very impressive folks.

If you aren't selected first round, I was told over and over, keep trying.

I think finding and joining this community was the most beneficial step I took and I'm impressed daily by the caliber of folks here taking the time to contribute.

Thanks for the responses. I had my interviews back in December and was shooting for the March board but there was some paperwork that wasn't finished.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I do some of these panel interviews. The qualify of some packages is atrocious.

And, correct. The last board noted issues with packages that really piss me off. I posted some notes on it in this thread back in May.

Based on the board comments, and from what I see, many people treat this like a gimmick.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified

And, correct. The last board noted issues with packages that really piss me off. I posted some notes on it in this thread back in May.

Based on the board comments, and from what I see, many people treat this like a gimmick.

Their loss, the first step in the filtering process is enough attention to detail to get your package in front of the board. Although some difficulty could exist on the OR side of things, I was relentless in making sure my OR knew I was ready to check everything off and cover all bases. I even caught a few things they had missed.

For those who treat this like a gimmick, well that's a real shame, I have wanted this for a long time and am beyond elated to be swearing in tomorrow.

There was a small snag with NMCI but I was able to commission. Hope everything on your end turns out well too.

Congrats camden76! I'm signing the pile of paperwork as we speak!

exNavyOffRec

The applications with issues should have never been seen by the board, the NRC, NRD, and PM's are supposed to ensure all the correct paperwork is submitted, if not back it goes.

a_dub

"flank" speed
I heard today that current SELRES enlisted members pursuing DCO may be forced to take a MOB prior to commissioning. Has anyone else heard this? Any more information if you have? Thanks.
Heard this, yes. I was required to sign page 13s saying this exact thing. Both the panel and OIC mentioned this, I'm not sure if they're pushing this as a scare tactic, but when I asked questions, nobody had answers. Such as - So, you want me to deploy in my current enlisted rate, before swearing in? Can it be 14 day AT? Can it be 30 days? Is there a minimum limit? Can it be a stateside mob? Why would the IWC want me to spend deployment time in my enlisted rate vs spending it as an 1835? What if I have 1 or more deployments under my belt from active duty? Lastly, why would I, having been enlisted, need to deploy, what about non-prior service applicants, are they supposed to deploy before commissioning? There were zero answers to any of these that I asked, so....based on what my recruiter said, nobody really knows why its being pushed, I did end up signing 4 page 13s saying I would deploy, but nothing happened, and now I'm a butter bar...soooooo.......It would probably make more sense to require a mob on the other end, say after being qual'd or something, the whole idea they push now makes zero sense. Maybe somebody has a better answer, but for now, just sign it and press on?

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Timeline update.

May 19th - Notification of selection
May 29th - Welcome letter from OIC - letter detailing NOSC/Unit assignment and provided contact list (CO/XO etc)
June 2nd - Accomplished RRA (NAVPERS 1200/1) and submitted to OR.
August 5th - Oath issued.
August 11th (today) - Sworn in.

For those of you going for the next board (I believe its Sept?) and interested in the 1825 desginator, you may want to pull out all the stops and make sure you get that package in, just saying...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The source isn't pertinent, but if anyone reading this is waiting on the sidelines wondering if he or she should apply for IWC DCO or not - don't wait, just apply. And if you've already applied once and been rejected, work harder and make concrete improvements - ideally, with an 18X5 mentor.
Heard this, yes. I was required to sign page 13s saying this exact thing. Both the panel and OIC mentioned this, I'm not sure if they're pushing this as a scare tactic, but when I asked questions, nobody had answers. Such as - So, you want me to deploy in my current enlisted rate, before swearing in? Can it be 14 day AT? Can it be 30 days? Is there a minimum limit? Can it be a stateside mob? Why would the IWC want me to spend deployment time in my enlisted rate vs spending it as an 1835? What if I have 1 or more deployments under my belt from active duty? Lastly, why would I, having been enlisted, need to deploy, what about non-prior service applicants, are they supposed to deploy before commissioning? There were zero answers to any of these that I asked, so....based on what my recruiter said, nobody really knows why its being pushed, I did end up signing 4 page 13s saying I would deploy, but nothing happened, and now I'm a butter bar...soooooo.......It would probably make more sense to require a mob on the other end, say after being qual'd or something, the whole idea they push now makes zero sense. Maybe somebody has a better answer, but for now, just sign it and press on?
I don't have all of your answers, but:
  • a mob is a mob
  • AT =/= a mob
  • If you are an IWC rate, you can view the CNIFR mobilization opportunities here if you are curious what's out there.
  • CONUS mob's do exist, but they are rare.
  • Once you commission, they cannot go back and make you do an enlisted mob. Period. You're safe. (At least, until you become mob eligible 2-3 years later when your TBH MAS code is removed to reflect your completion of required PQS training.)
  • The rule is in place in order to ensure the Navy gets its ROI on enlisted sailors who have never mob'd, but went through Great Lakes, A school, maybe C school, etc.
  • If you are still in dwell from having completed a recent mob, you are probably safe. If you are not mob-eligible due to medical or other reasons (e.g. pregnancy), you are probably safe. Again, this has to do with the MAS code.
  • Ask your unit N3 or XO for more information about mob's.
Something else for you: once you earn your PQS (e.g. 3I1 for Intel) and become mob-eligible, you are sorted on the mob ready list (MRL) by pay entry base date (PEBD). Which, for prior E's, usually put them at the top of the list ahead of nonprior service officers - even if the sailor did a mob immediately before commissioning like the Pg13 talks about. Unfortunately, any enlisted dwell time doesn't count once you become an officer. It kind of just disappears. Therefore, don't rush your PQS training. Don't try to be a hero and get it all done in your first year as an ENS. Don't slow-roll it either, but don't feel like you have to be the fastest.

a_dub

"flank" speed
The source isn't pertinent, but if anyone reading this is waiting on the sidelines wondering if he or she should apply for IWC DCO or not - don't wait, just apply. And if you've already applied once and been rejected, work harder and make concrete improvements - ideally, with an 18X5 mentor.

Something else for you: once you earn your PQS (e.g. 3I1 for Intel) and become mob-eligible, you are sorted on the mob ready list (MRL) by pay entry base date (PEBD). Which, for prior E's, usually put them at the top of the list ahead of nonprior service officers - even if the sailor did a mob immediately before commissioning like the Pg13 talks about. Unfortunately, any enlisted dwell time doesn't count once you become an officer. It kind of just disappears. Therefore, don't rush your PQS training. Don't try to be a hero and get it all done in your first year as an ENS. Don't slow-roll it either, but don't feel like you have to be the fastest.

All around, solid info!! Agree, dont sweat the small stuff, just get focused on getting a solid package in.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I will have a phone interview this week. Are thank you emails standard, as with civilian job interviews?

Although I initiated and kept in contact leading up to the interview, I did not send a thank you after. I did thank them profusely for their time at the end of the interview etc.

I know for a fact the five officers who interviewed me also interviewed at least five other candidates and all my interviews occurred in the evening. This most likely signaled it was the end of their work day and I didn't want to continue to add to the already growing piles of emails they most likely were getting. Plus they have to accomplish and submit the form for your interview I assume right after the call.

jrh0425

Although I initiated and kept in contact leading up to the interview, I did not send a thank you after. I did thank them profusely for their time at the end of the interview etc.

I know for a fact the five officers who interviewed me also interviewed at least five other candidates and all my interviews occurred in the evening. This most likely signaled it was the end of their work day and I didn't want to continue to add to the already growing piles of emails they most likely were getting. Plus they have to accomplish and submit the form for your interview I assume right after the call.
Thanks.

HalfcutActual

I was selected back in May for 1835. My timeline as far as notifications and getting things signed largely match up with what everyone else here has posted. I just commissioned this past Thursday (Sept 3rd)

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Timeline update for those who care-

May 19th - Notification of selection
May 29th - Welcome letter from OIC - letter detailing NOSC/Unit assignment and provided contact list (CO/XO etc)
June 2nd - Accomplished RRA (NAVPERS 1200/1) and submitted to OR.
August 5th - Oath issued.
August 11th - Sworn in.
September 29th - RAA approved and gain package sent to NOSC.
September 30th - *DEERS updated reflecting MIL (I used milConnect to check).

*Current DoD Employees - you will continue to use the same DoD ID, they just add another section to it.

Now its time for quotas!