• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

OmoOba

@surf3001x i don’t find anything wrong with it as well. I have put my application in for Crypto and intel
Exactly what @devilbones and @surf3001x said there's nothing wrong coming in as 01 and getting selected is an honor and privilege enough regardless of grade you got picked at. While I don't know the criteria the board uses for selection, the only brief info my OR shared with me on my package was the panel interview feedback ranging from 9-10 for all three- which I was surprised and grateful for. I came in as 02. Here's my stat. might give you an idea:
19 years prior enlisted navy, got selected for Chief (EM), Civilian job: 10 years as Sr. Infosec Systems Engineer (GS13); Completed two Masters degree - Information Systems from University of Phoenix; M.A in Defense and Strategic Studies from Naval War College; and was about halfway on M.Sc IT Management from Carnegie Mellon University at the time of package submission. DAU Certifications at level 3 in Science and Tech Mgmt and level 2 in IT, Program management, and Engineering. Level 3+ in Foreign language via Defense foreign language program.

If you don't get picked at your first try, don't get discouraged, hit it again and give it all you've got. Wish you the best of luck!

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Just a nugget for those on the fence about CWO vs INTEL/IP (with perspective on advanced standing)-

CWO has a special pot of training money allocated to each member for 1x use that covers a trip to Colorado (90 days) to work towards your Basic Qual (the 1815 portion). Seems odd, until you realize the amount of classified stuff that gets crammed into your head (and then required to be synthesized/regurgitated). INTEL/IP don't get this (not sure if that's good/bad, just different). If you get selected for CWO as an O-2 or even O-3, no one is going to cut you any slack on the learning curve. You're gonna be expected to do the same DIVO/DH role (~Company Commander level for the Army folks in the room) while working on quals against a timeline. To top it all off, as an O-3, you already in the grinder trying to build enough competitive 'paper' before the O-4 board.

Pros of CWO:
Dedicated training money to get the basic qual

Cons of CWO:
Not likely to be selected higher than O-1, based strictly on previous boards to date; don't have the final list from the most recent board in hand yet

Pros of IP
Possible for selection up to O-3

Pros of INTEL
Over half the slots of any given board go to INTEL

Cons of INTEL
Way too many people apply for INTEL without understanding what they really do, and ensuring that they are truly qualified. A degree in "International Relations/Studies/Strategic Management" alone won't do it.

Have I missed something? Likely, but it's been a long day...

Happy to have a back/forth on this.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Pros of CWO:

Cons of CWO:
Not likely to be selected higher than O-1, based strictly on previous boards to date; don't have the final list from the most recent board in hand yet

Another PRO is that since the community is so small compared to INTEL, selection rates for O-4 & O-5 are ridiculously good.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Just a nugget for those on the fence about CWO vs INTEL/IP (with perspective on advanced standing)-

CWO has a special pot of training money allocated to each member for 1x use that covers a trip to Colorado (90 days) to work towards your Basic Qual (the 1815 portion). Seems odd, until you realize the amount of classified stuff that gets crammed into your head (and then required to be synthesized/regurgitated). INTEL/IP don't get this (not sure if that's good/bad, just different). If you get selected for CWO as an O-2 or even O-3, no one is going to cut you any slack on the learning curve. You're gonna be expected to do the same DIVO/DH role (~Company Commander level for the Army folks in the room) while working on quals against a timeline. To top it all off, as an O-3, you already in the grinder trying to build enough competitive 'paper' before the O-4 board.

Pros of CWO:

Cons of CWO:

Pros of IP

Pros of INTEL

Cons of INTEL
Way too many people apply for INTEL without understanding what they really do, and ensuring that they are truly qualified. A degree in "International Relations/Studies/Strategic Management" alone won't do it.

We had a brief at ODS about some of this ..intel is 200%+ manning for ensigns but they have a ton of folks leave at LT (end of contract) so they stack ensigns to help fill it out. The selection for 0-4 is pretty rough, most sew on around year 14..0-5 is very rough.

0-6 sits around 50% for intel, ip and cwo.

CWO is a bit better manning wise but has similar selection rates as intel due to folks staying in.

IP have insane selection rates for 0-4 and 0-5. Civ pay for senior guys with their quals are too enticing apparently. Which is why they bring on 0-2 and 0-3 to help fill out those 0-4 and 0-5 billets faster.

The other IWC desginators are very small and retention was high thus not looking at very fast promotion rates.

Um for IPs one downside is our basic course is almost six months long. Theyre "working" on reducing it but there's no telling when it'll come down.

No matter the desginator if you like what you do its a win win. Im excited at the prospect of some OIC gigs onboard some ships and space ops.

subreservist

Pros of INTEL

Cons of INTEL

True for Intel - the reason so many apply is that it's really the only reserve Officer program that ANYONE can apply regardless of major or work experience (as long as they meet the other basics, like gpa).

When someone comes in, particularly a civilian, and say they are interested in joining the Navy as a reserve Officer and they aren't in a specialized occupation or have a degree that allows applying to another program, Intel is really all you can offer.

Thsi is

Pros of CWO:

Cons of CWO:

Pros of IP

Pros of INTEL

Cons of INTEL

[/QUOTE

Pros of CWO:

Cons of CWO:

Pros of IP

Pros of INTEL

Cons of INTEL

This is some great information and thank you @fieldrat, @surf3001x for all the insight and information. As I have said before I will QA/QC my packet as best as possible and ensure my documents are good as well as all other supporting documents to ensure I get the best chance possible. Cryptologic Warfare and Intell are my top 2 and IS I have not submitted for as it seems that board doesn't have a date yet or some my Accessions Recruiter says. If you all have any other advice for me please by all means lay it on me.

We had a brief at ODS about some of this ..intel is 200%+ manning for ensigns but they have a ton of folks leave at LT (end of contract) so they stack ensigns to help fill it out. The selection for 0-4 is pretty rough, most sew on around year 14..0-5 is very rough.

14 years to put on 0-4? Wow

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
1835/INTEL sucks for promotion to O4. You can go check out the selection board stats over the last few years.

Flow point for O4 is 9 - 11 years of commissioned service. If you do not pick up O4 on your first look, then yes, you could be waiting awhile.