• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I see that. I wonder how many other people they are not going to add the GPAs for and tell no, come back next year
The way it reads is that your undergrad must be 2.8 or higher. So unless you can find a way to a) get a waiver or b) get another undergrad degree with a higher GPA, you may be ineligible. I dont see anything in there that mentions a grad degree GPA.

USNAVY

The way it reads is that your undergrad must be 2.8 or higher. So unless you can find a way to a) get a waiver or b) get another undergrad degree with a higher GPA, you may be ineligible. I dont see anything in there that mentions a grad degree GPA.
What others were saying on this thread is that in the past the board will do a GPA calculation if you are working on your masters which gives you an overall GPA. I got screwed point blank. And If you don't have a masters then you probably wont be getting selected, according to what is communicated on this thread

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
What others were saying on this thread is that in the past the board will do a GPA calculation if you are working on your masters which gives you an overall GPA. I got screwed point blank. And If you don't have a masters then you probably wont be getting selected unless you are a SEAL
I believe they were stating that the calculation of your GPA would be used to rank you against everyone else, once you have made it to the board. That is how the entire competitiveness conversation started. For instance, if two candidates had very similar qualifications the GPA of their advanced degree may be used to rate them. Your kit didnt make it to the board because you are ineligible due to your GPA. That is what I got out of the conversation. One of the ORs that have been participating in this conversation might be able to clarify this, but that is how I understood. If you dont make the basic qualifications stated in the PA, I don't see how your recruiter led you to believe that you are eligible. But I know as much as you do and now you have the same PA that I was given.

USNAVY

I believe they were stating that the calculation of your GPA would be used to rank you against everyone else, once you have made it to the board. That is how the entire competitiveness conversation started. For instance, if two candidates had very similar qualifications the GPA of their advanced degree may be used to rate them. Your kit didnt make it to the board because you are ineligible due to your GPA. That is what I got out of the conversation. One of the ORs that have been participating in this conversation might be able to clarify this, but that is how I understood. If you dont make the basic qualifications stated in the PA, I don't see how your recruiter led you to believe that you are eligible. But I know as much as you do and now you have the same PA that I was given.
No, the email I received flat out said I was ineligible and they did not even waste time trying to do a calculation. I have been working on this masters for almost 4 years now (night classes) and my GPA is excellent. So once again, I got screwed. One last time, I UNDERSTAND THE COMPETITIVENESS

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Here's my assumption what happened:

The OR and/or processor must have calculated all GPA's together and listed that on the APSR. This is SOP for an active duty GENOFF package and both probably assumed the same for DCO. So anywho, the application probably made its way through the NRC processor and NRC DCO PM (both of which barely QC kits these days) and when the RC IWC Community Manager saw the application and GPA on the APSR, immediately stopped it from making it to board.

Cumulative GPA isn't a requirement for a DCO package. It's not even on the checklist to average out GPAs. I got told by the NRC PM, "use whatever GPA makes him/her eligible". So essentially, someone could have a 2.0 undergrad GPA, but take a single graduate program class, get an A, and we can use that 4.0 Masters GPA on the APSR.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Here's my assumption what happened:

The OR and/or processor must have calculated all GPA's together and listed that on the APSR. This is SOP for an active duty GENOFF package and both probably assumed the same for DCO. So anywho, the application probably made its way through the NRC processor and NRC DCO PM (both of which barely QC kits these days) and when the RC IWC Community Manager saw the application and GPA on the APSR, immediately stopped it from making it to board.

Cumulative GPA isn't a requirement for a DCO package. It's not even on the checklist to average out GPAs. I got told by the NRC PM, "use whatever GPA makes him/her eligible". So essentially, someone could have a 2.0 undergrad GPA, but take a single graduate program class, get an A, and we can use that 4.0 Masters GPA on the APSR.
So essentially the wording of the PA that states the undergrad GPA requirement is false? According to the PA, @USNAVY does not meet the qualifications now, and would not, no matter what is graduate degree GPA was/is or will be. I am not familiar enough with the process but I interpreted that he was ineligible.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I got screwed point blank.
So once again, I got screwed.
FFS, dude. Give it a rest. Even if you did “get screwed” as you say, does it help you to whine about it in public? Is your attitude what the Navy wants in its officer corps? Supposing you do get commissioned, are you going to again act like this if you don’t get [insert competitive board or dream sheet item] later on?

Several officers here (including IWC officers and ORs) have politely tried to steer you to take personal ownership, and work on improving what you can control, but the constant whining is really thread-jacking this conversation to the detriment of other applicants. Go listen to some Jocko Willink, stop casting blame, and take some ownership.

USNAVY

FFS, dude. Give it a rest. Even if you did “get screwed” as you say, does it help you to whine about it in public? Is your attitude what the Navy wants in its officer corps? Supposing you do get commissioned, are you going to again act like this if you don’t get [insert competitive board or dream sheet item] later on?

Several officers here (including IWC officers and ORs) have politely tried to steer you to take personal ownership, and work on improving what you can control, but the constant whining is really thread-jacking this conversation to the detriment of other applicants. Go listen to some Jocko Willink, stop casting blame, and take some ownership.
Never blamed a single person. I've been told NO many times in my career and persevered through hard work and dedication. I am not whining, just explaining what happened. I do appreciate the feedback from everyone on here. All I can do is keep working hard and re-apply

Last edited:

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I've been through a lot, been told NO many times in my career and persevered. I am not whining, just explaining what happened. I do appreciate the feedback from everyone on here.
But if you were ineligible then, how could you become eligible in the future? Your undergrad GPA is too low. Your graduate GPA wouldnt affect this at all.

USNAVY

But if you were ineligible then, how could you become eligible in the future? Your undergrad GPA is too low. Your graduate GPA wouldnt affect this at all.
I graduate this summer with my masters. The email said I needed at least one completed degree that meets the minimum requirements of 2.8 GPA

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I graduate this summer with my masters. The email said I needed at least one completed degree that meets the minimum requirements of 2.8 GPA
Ok. I guess I was confused with the wording of the PA which explicitly states that the undergrad cumulative GPA had to be at least a 2.8.
upload_2018-1-21_13-13-57.png

USNAVY

Ok. I guess I was confused with the wording of the PA which explicitly states that the undergrad cumulative GPA had to be at least a 2.8.
View attachment 17996
If someone has a masters or PHD that meets the minimum GPA, it would supersede the BS/BA requirement. The email said I am eligible for next years IWC DCO board 2019 upon completion of my masters degree

exNavyOffRec

I don't remember PA's in the past specifying "undergrad GPA" just "cumulative GPA", maybe they decided to make a change and now specify that UG GPA has to have a minimum no matter what.

This board would be the first with that requirement I do believe so without reading it I also naturally assumed based on the past that if you get a Master's then that would make you eligible, however looking at the new PA it appears that is no longer the case.

I am sure it may take NRC looking at that and correcting it if it needs to be or confirming with the PM that it is indeed as it reads, the PM would be the one that would reject the application.

Igloojam

pilot
The DCO GENOFF checklist doesn't mention combined GPA. Unlike the regular Active Duty GENOFF checklist that DOES require a GPA calculation, reserve doesn't. I ran into this issue with an EDO, long story short he got a 1.9 GPA before he enlisted, finished his degree with a 3.9 and is currently in a PhD program with a 3.8 GPA. However, if you were to average everything out... the cumulative GPA is 2.7. We called the DCO Program Manager and what he told us was this: "Use whatever GPA that will make him eligible". So long story short, we used the PhD GPA on the APSR.

So... you could have had an UG GPA of a 2.0, but in a Masters program and have a 3.4 GPA. You/your recruiter could use that 3.4 GPA for your application.

@devilbones The above is from Rufio a recruiting expert on this forum by what I can tell. He’s been a huge help to many applicants. If he says it could’ve happened then I trust that. So again.. USNAVY here did not get a fair shake. I had a DD175 saying I shouldn’t be an officer any branch after I was disenrolled from AFROTC, but somehow next week I’ll be selecting what aircraft I’ll fly for the next 8 years in the Navy. Exceptions can be made and it would be especially unwise if the Navy would turn away an applicant for a low gpa, especially if they have an exceptional graduate performance. Imagine a dude had a 2.3 undergrad gpa in math, enlisted 6 years as a crypto in Air Force, was fluent Russian, and currently getting in PhD physical oceanography(yes he exists). You really think he would get turned away for having a 2.3 undergrad? The above is a hypothetical because said individual isn’t interested in the Navy but if he was, I think the Navy would benefit.