• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yes, but my interviewers and OIC said they were impressed with my education and graduate GPA of 3.87 and it was used on the APSR. Someone was being picky at the board
Dude, you are unwilling or are unable to acknowledge just how competitive the boards are these days. There are so many over-qualified applicants applying that I am sure they are splitting hairs at the board during the selection process.

If there are 12 applicants, and 11 of 12 have 4.0 GPAs and the other person does not have a 4.0, why would they even waste their time?

Have you considered going in to the Reserve as a Enlisted IS (if you can get that) and then applying for DCO again after you have some time under your belt and that would make you more competitive?

USNAVY

Dude, you are unwilling or are unable to acknowledge just how competitive the boards are these days. There are so many over-qualified applicants applying that I am sure they are splitting hairs at the board during the selection process.

If there are 12 applicants, and 11 of 12 have 4.0 GPAs and the other person does not have a 4.0, why would they even waste their time?

Have you considered going in to the Reserve as a Enlisted IS (if you can get that) and then applying for DCO again after you have some time under your belt and that would make you more competitive?
I understand it is competitive, I do not understand working hard to get a shot at serving my country again and being told no after I impressed my interviewers and OIC. I would have been fine with being told PRO-N, but after going through the whole process I get told no, your package will not be reviewed by the board.

Last edited:
I understand it is competitive, I do not understand working hard to get a shot at serving my country again and being told no after I impressed my interviewers and OIC.

It sounds like your recruiter has failed you by not giving you a clear understanding of just how competitive the DCO process is. Unless you are going in to this with zero expectation of getting selected you are setting yourself up for misery and disappointment.

There are many of us, myself included, that are highly qualified, incredibly eager to serve, and have been passed over by these boards. I was recently passed over by the HR board. They selected 3 people out of 40+ applicants... How upset can I be about that? It's a numbers game.

Good luck!

USNAVY

It sounds like your recruiter has failed you by not giving you a clear understanding of just how competitive the DCO process is. Unless you are going in to this with zero expectation of getting selected you are setting yourself up for misery and disappointment.

There are many of us, myself included, that are highly qualified, incredibly eager to serve, and have been passed over by these boards. I just got passed over by the HR board. They selected 3 people out of 40+ applicants... How upset can I be about that? It's a numbers game.

Good luck!
Iv'e been at this for 3 YEARS, and I finally make it through the process to go the Board. I understand the competitiveness, its the principle is my point. My recruiter has been below average to say the least

Last edited:

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
It's crazy competitive sir. I have several Master degrees AND a Doctorate and I CANNOT get picked for a number of reason. You have prior enlisted folks applying, CURRENT RESERVISTS from other services, senior managers and directors. The best way to process this is this my good man --> if you don't get picked up, put in the work to be even more competitive, and if you don't get picked up again, keep putting in the work. Hell, the Navy may be inadvertently making a better candidate for opportunities in your civilian life due to the hard work of trying to get picked up. If I don't get picked up this go around, I'm getting more certs, more education, and deploy as a civilian all in the hopes of being more competitive. If I don't get picked up again, well, I'll have one hell of a resume for my next gig. And when asked what my motivation was or key to my success, I'll just say I was busy trying to be more competitive for Navy. Don't take it personal. If you really want in, just join another branch or like someone else suggested to go enlisted first. And really, if you been through this three times you kinda can't play the blame game regarding your Officer recruiter.

USNAVY

It's crazy competitive sir. I have several Master degrees AND a Doctorate and I CANNOT get picked for a number of reason. You have prior enlisted folks applying, CURRENT RESERVISTS from other services, senior managers and directors. The best way to process this is this my good man --> if you don't get picked up, put in the work to be even more competitive, and if you don't get picked up again, keep putting in the work. Hell, the Navy may be inadvertently making a better candidate for opportunities in your civilian life due to the hard work of trying to get picked up. If I don't get picked up this go around, I'm getting more certs, more education, and deploy as a civilian all in the hopes of being more competitive. If I don't get picked up again, well, I'll have one hell of a resume for my next gig. And when asked what my motivation was or key to my success, I'll just say I was busy trying to be more competitive for Navy. Don't take it personal. If you really want in, just join another branch or like someone else suggested to go enlisted first. And really, if you been through this three times you kinda can't play the blame game regarding your Officer recruiter.
Agree with everything you just said. I have been working VERY HARD and understand the competitiveness. For the record, it has been 3 YEARS AND I HAVE NOT GONE TO ONE SINGLE BOARD. That is what I have been trying to say on this thread. I graduate this summer and will be back or hell I might even go active officer do my time and then go reserves

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Agree with everything you just said. I have been working VERY HARD and understand the competitiveness. For the record, it has been 3 YEARS AND I HAVE NOT GONE TO ONE SINGLE BOARD. That is what I have been trying to say on this thread. I graduate this summer and will be back or hell I might even go active officer do my time and then go reserves
Yeah keep trying. I am very sorry to hear that your OR submitted your kit with a Graduate GPA when it wasnt finished. My OR made it very clear that I had to finish my Graduate Degree in order to submit it as part of the kit.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Shack

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Iv'e been at this for 3 YEARS, and I finally make it through the process to go the Board. I understand the competitiveness, its the principle is my point. My recruiter has been below average to say the least

From everything I've understood from all the great and helpful Navy folks I've spoken to IRL and on the web, Navy DCO is significantly more competitive than other branches or Navy OCS. It's not an issue with you at all. I was told by the Army and Air Force I'm a shoe-in for cyber as a reserve officer. They saw the M.S. and software engineering and were sold. It also helps that active and reserve officers generally go through the same program.

With Navy DCO, I've had multiple people tell me I'm not even competitive for anything in IWC. On one end of the spectrum you have NROTC, where you have people with a 3.0 in political science becoming SWOs and aviators straight out of college or barely got through civil engineering and became Seabees. Navy DCO? Prepare to have graduate degrees, years of experience, be a manager or supervisor of sorts, and have a civilian job closely aligned to the Navy one.

To the point others have made about other branches, I've also been looking into the Air Force, so here's my 2 cents. To my understanding, it's the most high-tech and "corporate" of the branches, and it's about as good as it gets in terms of transferable life experience and skills if you get deployed. To be clear, I'm not including "tourism" in the life experience category. True, you will not be like some lucky Navy personnel who spend half their career being forced to be Euro-tourists (I personally know a few of these, and they love to brag about it), but it's a lot less competitive to get selected as a reserve officer and the living standards and other considerations are the best in the military to my understanding. Just don't pick anything to do with ballistic missiles, as you may end up in Wyoming.

Last edited by a moderator:

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
To the point others have made about other branches, I've also been looking into the Air Force, so here's my 2 cents. To my understanding, it's the most high-tech and "corporate" of the branches, and it's about as good as it gets in terms of transferable life experience and skills if you get deployed. To be clear, I'm not including "tourism" in the life experience category. True, you will not be like some lucky Navy personnel who spend half their career being forced to be Euro-tourists (I personally know a few of these, and they love to brag about it), but it's a lot less competitive to get selected as a reserve officer and the living standards and other considerations are the best in the military to my understanding. Just don't pick anything to do with ballistic missiles, as you may end up in Wyoming.
No offense or anything but your 2 cents doesn't really count here. You have never been in any branch of the military so relaying what others have told you, you dont know. Unless you have BTDT than maybe you should keep your 2 cents to yourself and let others with actual experience share the information because coming relaying second or third hand information doesnt really mean anything. I am sure that you are great at what you do and when it comes time to chime in about that, please take the stand.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

No offense taken, and thank you. Maybe I should have made it clear it's coming from officers and officer recruiters, but regardless, point taken. Just meant to reinforce the point there's other things out there in the military, from an encouragement standpoint. Really the best advice I can give in this respect is to generally avoid PMCs, even short-term contracts.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I understand it is competitive, I do not understand working hard to get a shot at serving my country again and being told no after I impressed my interviewers and OIC. I would have been fine with being told PRO-N, but after going through the whole process I get told no, your package will not be reviewed by the board.
Seriously?

You have a way to get back in and that is to Enlist, get some experience that will help make you more competitive, and then re-apply. There are other people who are willing and able to go this route to get what they want. They are doing it and are competing against you and are being selected.

Igloojam

pilot

I hear ya man. This guy gets it competitive but ya the recruiter is UNSAT. Having enlisted in the Marines and now naval aviator, my expectations for most recruiters aren’t too high. No offense to the great ones that lurk this forum giving Good Gouge to hopefuls. Yes there are good ones, but then there are some who just completely aloof and undynamic in getting a package in. Undynamic in the sense, there are ways around a lot of shit in the military and a lot of it boils down to someone just using those means. Like using your grad gpa on the APSR. Reading Rufios post about how they do what they need to do to make the candidate eligible. I hope I’m reading that correct in the sense that ya let’s just get this guy to board.

The whole gpa thing is complete nonsense IMO. You got guys applying with 2.8 in electrical engineering but home boy with a 4.0 in Agricultural Leadership. Attaway to challenge yourself boss. That’s garbage and with a lot of Board type selections I’ve seen from the Air Force and Navy that’s how it appears.

Good luck USNAVY

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You got guys applying with 2.8 in electrical engineering but home boy with a 4.0 in Agricultural Leadership. Attaway to challenge yourself boss. That’s garbage and with a lot of Board type selections I’ve seen from the Air Force and Navy that’s how it appears.
It is incumbent on the applicant to succinctly detail GPA's, degrees, and schools, in their personal statement. If you attended the top engineering school in the country and earned a 2.8 GPA, then explain why, especially if others, attending the same school and degree, earned a 3.8.

All I hear here are excuses.