• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
Just curious if anyone else is still awaiting Intel results from their OR? I have received timeframe updates and other communication, but no word to date on whether I was actually picked up.

Still waiting on results up here in the Northeast. Drink coffee and take knee. Water too. Remember to hydrate...

I do only have till March to re-enlist in the reserve without losing a stripe. Go Navy! Get these out before the weekend....

MTRIO

sure - ive seen that - that's my point.
2010 - 88 INTEL
2011 - 81 INTEL
2012 - 114 INTEL
2013 - 107 INTEL
2014 - 90 INTEL
2015 - 80 INTEL
2016 - 50 INTEL
2017 - 53 INTEL
2018 - 80 INTEL

2016/2017 Obama scale back and "post" war number fix. Every other year is 80+ since IDC/IWC boards

I didn't expect 80 to be selected this year either - but im not shocked. (shocked i wasn't selected!! ha)

best of luck to others
Hello there, are these numbers for Reserves? I haven't heard anything yet. I'm catching up late notice.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Hello there, are these numbers for Reserves? I haven't heard anything yet. I'm catching up late notice.

Yes. He was quoting the spreadsheet which contains information for IWC DCO (reserves) boards.

Kenneth

So basically I should have been sent a notice by now, correct?
@MTRIO
Apparently the results are out and some candidates already know their status (selected/not selected) but there are some of us that have NOT received an official notification from our OR’s.

I was told by another candidate that I was NOT Selected but I am not losing hope because I have not received the offficial news from my OR.

For me it’s shocking to hear that some candidates even know who was selected and who has not been selected when some OR’s don’t even have this information.

MTRIO

@MTRIO
Apparently the results are out and some candidates already know their status (selected/not selected) but there are some of us that have NOT received an official notification from our OR’s.

I was told by another candidate that I was NOT Selected but I am not losing hope because I have not received the offficial news from my OR.

For me it’s shocking to hear that some candidates even know who was selected and who has not been selected when some OR’s don’t even have this information.
Well said, patience is a virtue.

bldalton

I ended up getting selected with just a Bachelors degree, but I do have related active duty prior-enlisted experience and a little bit of post-military experience. I am just putting it out there so others with an undergrad degree are not discouraged from applying. If you have good experience, a unique background or skillset, and articulate a strong desire to serve, then I believe you have a shot.
Congratulations!

USNAVY

I have received confirmation that a Post-Graduate degree that meets the minimum 2.8 GPA requirement supersedes the BS/BA for all IWC designators for those who were wondering

alwayshi

Well said, patience is a virtue.

The official word went out to all ORs today. I got the call earlier this evening and was notified that I am an 1835 INTEL select. Select letters and commissioning docs should follow soon. If you haven’t heard anything from your OR, I’d suggest calling. Mine provided a cell number so we’ve been touching base periodically via voice and text.

From the sounds of it (and from my perspective), the board was heavily focused on:

1-meet the minimum requirements identified in the PA for each specialty
2-experience, experience, experience
3-everything else is an added bonus

I hope to meet a lot of you at some point. And encourage anyone who was a non-select to keep at it. Best of luck to all!

MTRIO

To all,

This is most competitive program I've ever seen in my life, period! This was my 4th application and I was a non-select. 10+ years of defense/intel community experience, 10+ years of leadership roles, industry certifications, bachelors, masters in information systems, finishing 2nd masters in cyber-security policy and mgmt, no military experience, had all recommendations from 0-5's and up, and a 0-9 recommendation from joint services. What am I doing wrong? I may give it one more shot, but I'm not sure, because I can't get concrete answers as to why I haven't gotten selected....

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
To all,

This is most competitive program I've ever seen in my life, period! This was my 4th application and I was a non-select. 10+ years of defense/intel community experience, 10+ years of leadership roles, industry certifications, bachelors, masters in information systems, finishing 2nd masters in cyber-security policy and mgmt, no military experience, had all recommendations from 0-5's and up, and a 0-9 recommendation from joint services. What am I doing wrong? I may give it one more shot, but I'm not sure, because I can't get concrete answers as to why I haven't gotten selected....

Once again, this is an EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE program with selection rates around 10-15% if not less. Your work experience is probably right there with the average applicant applying. Not having military experience is sort of a negative but not too much of a dealbreaker.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For applicants who haven't received results yet... your OR should have received them from their local IWC OIC. If not, he or she can request them and they should receive a copy. Be patient, NRC as a whole hasn't even released the results yet...

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
To all,

Hey MTRIO - I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. You sound like someone I would have selected, but I was a non-select. From what I can tell, grades count a lot. I was prior service navy intel, combat tour, bronze star, left in 2011. Finished a law degree, passed the bar, got great LOR's too, my resume in flawless, my references impeccable, my board scores were very good and have little to no room for improvement. I have served in leadership roles in combat at the O-4 level. That's how I was awarded a bronze star. Just got lucky and fell into a role in war zone that was way above my pay grade, I ran with it and excelled.

So there doesn't seem to be much I can change. My records is basically set. My undergrad was state college 2.99, 3.01 if I do the math my way. My law school was 2.65. Seems to me these boards focus on metrics. They want to know your GPA, where you went to school. They want hard facts. Now, I'm going for Intel 1835 - you might be trying for something else. That other stuff seems more selective to me. My GPA can't change. If that is the first or second thing they look at to rack and stack candidates, that is why I'm out.

I had served directly with the O-6 who was at my interview. He reached out to me directly by e-mail and offered to help me in any way he could. I know I got the recommendations. He helped rewrite my resume. That can be tricky. BY the time it got to the board, it was incredible. So for me, I'm guessing grades has to be the issue. You might have really great grades, I don't know. Maybe its the non-prior service thing, but I will tell you that I'v met a lot fewer prior service ensigns than this blog would lead you to believe. Prior Service helps, but I suspect it pushes someone over the edge if they are looking at two candidates that meet other metrics like GPA.

Officer and Enlisted are different classes. Officers look to select what they believe will be a certain caliber of person and the way they do that is a bit old fashioned. In all fairness to the board members, with kids just out of school, grades are all that you have to look at. For guys like you and me, it's small piece of the puzzle, ancient history, and too late to do much about it this late in the game. But people have blinders on with selections boards like this and metrics sometime.

That is my guess man. If I am right, and I think I am, it sucks for me because I really can't improve on much. I went to college working full time, with two kids, I was in the reserve, divorced, finished college went to grad school. I just kept scraping by, but being top student was not in the cards for me. But neither was food service so I did what I could and ended up okay. When I get the chance to go all in, I'm a top performer too, but I can balance a lot too and move forward. But for this, they want to see Officer pedigree. Very good grades with a fancy school too if they can. Just my take.

Getting enlisted experience isn't that hard to do, but frankly, you are way over qualified for enlisted service. I was over qualified for enlisted service when I was enlisted and I might still re-enlist anyway. It's a tough call. I love the Navy. But there are parts of it like this that really aren't fair. Good luck man!

Last edited: