• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Wow what a roller coaster day... I was not selected by this board, I’m now 0 for 3 trying to join the Navy, but received word I’ve been endorsed for a position in the Air Force Reserve. I’ll get to serve after all. What a wild ride... good luck to everyone. It’s good to be among like-minded, motivated people.
If you receive a commission in the Air Force, you can, at a later time, do an inter-service transfer to the Navy, if you want.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
It depends on your background and other qualifications which can mitigate a low GPA. If you have nothing to mitigate the low GPA, then....

In light of Top_Chef's impressive background, qualifications, and total package, you cannot compare his undergrad GPA to, for example, USNAVY's.
@Top_Chef also had a cumulative undergrad over 2.8, combining his AA and BA.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
My congratulations to all the selects, and encouragement to all the non-selects.

If you picked up, and would like to begin building your network, please reach out. For the 1815 selects, I've got some good gouge on how to jump start your training pipeline.

I'm curious what you were told regarding the Air Force. I've been looking into that as well. It's a lot different, though. They really build you up from the ground-up. By that, I mean a general pipeline is taking the AFOQT, then going through full OTS (9.5 weeks) and ~23 week Undergraduate Cyber Training.

I was able to qualify for RCOT, which is their version of DCOIC because my position is considered hard to fill. It's two weeks. Then I'll have a total of about 10 weeks of schools spread out over the next 12-18 months.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I was able to qualify for RCOT, which is their version of DCOIC because my position is considered hard to fill. It's two weeks. Then I'll have a total of about 10 weeks of schools spread out over the next 12-18 months.
I like the Air Force because you can, for lack of a better term, "homestead" in a single career path (e.g., cyber, HUMINT, etc.). And the Air Force folks seem better integrated that their Reserve counterparts, especially at places like NSA (e.g., TAO).

Bmore84

I ended up getting selected with just a Bachelors degree, but I do have related active duty prior-enlisted experience and a little bit of post-military experience. I am just putting it out there so others with an undergrad degree are not discouraged from applying. If you have good experience, a unique background or skillset, and articulate a strong desire to serve, then I believe you have a shot.

I ended up getting selected with just a Bachelors degree, but I do have related active duty prior-enlisted experience and a little bit of post-military experience. I am just putting it out there so others with an undergrad degree are not discouraged from applying. If you have good experience, a unique background or skillset, and articulate a strong desire to server, then I you have a shot.

Congratulations!

jeff86

I ended up getting selected with just a Bachelors degree, but I do have related active duty prior-enlisted experience and a little bit of post-military experience. I am just putting it out there so others with an undergrad degree are not discouraged from applying. If you have good experience, a unique background or skillset, and articulate a strong desire to serve, then I believe you have a shot.
That was my experience as well - I only have a Bachelors degree (although I'm almost done with my Masters) but have a lot of prior enlisted experience and currently work in the IC.

That was my experience as well - I only have a Bachelors degree (although I'm almost done with my Masters) but have a lot of prior enlisted experience and currently work in the IC.

I was the opposite... Masters Degree, tons of certifications but no hands on experience or prior service... As painful as it is, if I was on the board I'd lean towards candidates with the experience.

USNAVY

Congrats! This gives me hope that I can compete next year.

FormerSquidCop

I was the opposite... Masters Degree, tons of certifications but no hands on experience or prior service... As painful as it is, if I was on the board I'd lean towards candidates with the experience.
Similar story for me. MS/MBA, InfoSec certifications, but not a ton of supervisory experience in the field. I think that hurt me (and being prior MA probably didn't help as much as being prior IT or CT).