• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Sorry to hear about that guys. Small consolation but you've got one less competitor, most likely. I got held up before being sent to MEPS because, in a questionable flourish of honesty on the forms, I hearkened back to my youth when my parents said I had asthma (maybe never diagnosed). No symptoms in adulthood. Months pass, I'm barreling along accruing certs and knocking out my masters...they deny to proceed due to asthma, say I can appeal with a spirometry/PFT test I pay for and a doctor says, no more asthma. I do this, doc writes the letter. A month passes, they reply, didn't like one of the numbers on my test and give me the DQ...but will reconsider if I do the methacholine challenge test. Well, OK then...I finally get a chance to do it, but I'm coming down with a cold (not in my chest though). Still haven't seen the results (or the bill!!) but the methacholine eventually got to me enough to slow down my breathing. So hells bells, maybe I do have some symptoms after all (at least when they pump that gas into my lungs). But they were only going to reconsider with a completely clean test result, so...yeah, curtains for my naval aspirations (ha, pun not intended).

Hopefully they'll get that stuff straight and you guys can get your packages submitted properly. Shame for that work to go to waste (would say the same thing about myself, but with four certifications acquired this year and likely a masters degree by December or January, plus being in better physical shape than...ever...I can't complain about the progress I've made, spurred on by this particular goal). I'll be cheering y'all on in December for Army-Navy, anyway!
Sorry to hear about this. Best of luck if you decide to reapply.

USNAVY

I was told by my recruiter today that the application window is now closed due to interview and medical screening being filled and to check back in January for FY 19 efforts. Not sure if that is a regional bottleneck or not. If it was it would be nice to be able to submit under another region.
What region are you in???

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Sorry to hear about that guys. Small consolation but you've got one less competitor, most likely. I got held up before being sent to MEPS because, in a questionable flourish of honesty on the forms, I hearkened back to my youth when my parents said I had asthma (maybe never diagnosed). No symptoms in adulthood. Months pass, I'm barreling along accruing certs and knocking out my masters...they deny to proceed due to asthma, say I can appeal with a spirometry/PFT test I pay for and a doctor says, no more asthma. I do this, doc writes the letter. A month passes, they reply, didn't like one of the numbers on my test and give me the DQ...but will reconsider if I do the methacholine challenge test. Well, OK then...I finally get a chance to do it, but I'm coming down with a cold (not in my chest though). Still haven't seen the results (or the bill!!) but the methacholine eventually got to me enough to slow down my breathing. So hells bells, maybe I do have some symptoms after all (at least when they pump that gas into my lungs). But they were only going to reconsider with a completely clean test result, so...yeah, curtains for my naval aspirations (ha, pun not intended).

Hopefully they'll get that stuff straight and you guys can get your packages submitted properly. Shame for that work to go to waste (would say the same thing about myself, but with four certifications acquired this year and likely a masters degree by December or January, plus being in better physical shape than...ever...I can't complain about the progress I've made, spurred on by this particular goal). I'll be cheering y'all on in December for Army-Navy, anyway!

You shot yourself in the foot for disclosing a condition you were never actually diagnosed with. Your recruiter also failed you for not properly "briefing" how to get through MEPS as well as mentioning these conditions BEFORE going to MEPS.

Understand the honesty at MEPS but unless you've been diagnosed by a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL you have never been diagnosed with that condition.

sqlfunkateer

Ha, don't I know it; the self-inflicted nature of my DQ is all too apparent...never actually got to MEPS, was trying to get it scheduled before they scratched my nomination. I only found out later that I wasn't necessarily diagnosed (asking my parents), and neither I or them are completely clear on that, could be I was diagnosed, but none of us remember. Still, what's done is done, and I'm at stage 5 Kuebler-Ross. When I was in the bargaining phase I reached out to a USAFR recruiter but that went nowhere, I'm a year over their age limit for officers (and at this point, my heart pumps blue and gold :) ).

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I was told by my recruiter today that the application window is now closed due to interview and medical screening being filled and to check back in January for FY 19 efforts. Not sure if that is a regional bottleneck or not. If it was it would be nice to be able to submit under another region.
Ok, so a few weeks ago my recruiter told me my package was submitted. Now he came back and said the intel board is not accepting anymore kits this year.... does anyone has any info on this? Sounds like i'm getting the runaround...
Did you ever find out any truth to this? My interviews are scheduled for next month.

FormerSquidCop

They want CISSP, STEM degrees and other useless garbage for DCO IP because the DCO IP applicant pool is comprised of people who have this stuff. They have to "rack and stack" people somehow and this is the easiest way for them to do it.

Please keep in mind that the CISSP, STEM degrees, et al. are completely useless to your success as a ReServe IP.

I can tell you that your RF/Telecom background will make you significantly more useful that any other IP because a vast majority of ReServe IP's have zero comms experience or background. RF/Comms is the number one area where ReServe IP's lack in knowledge and practical experience, and is the area that will help you when you are MOB'd as an IP.

Recommend you tweak your resume to highlight your RF/Telecom experience as much as possible because, in reality as a Reservist, you will be doing zero cyber related work, but will be relied on to know and understand comms.

Thank you very much for your input here. I've been researching and am changing my application from IP to Crypto. I believe that CW aligns more with my job, but the "requirements" for the two packages seem remarkably similar. I've got the IT BS/MS, MBA and IT Audit & Risk certifications, as well as Sec+. My civilian job is IT Sec, not Networking/Telecom.

This thread is helping convince me that that was the right call.

bldalton

I have the beginnings of my DCO Intel interviews starting tomorrow. Thanks to Hurricane Irma, the September interviews at NAS Jax were cancelled and now I will be interviewing via Skype and FaceTime. Have one tomorrow evening and another the next evening. I'm excited and a bit nervous as I've never done an interview in this fashion before. I'll be treating this just as if this were a face to face interview; suit and tie, sitting at attention, etc. Any advice on how to setup the space I'll be sitting in?

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I have the beginnings of my DCO Intel interviews starting tomorrow. Thanks to Hurricane Irma, the September interviews at NAS Jax were cancelled and now I will be interviewing via Skype and FaceTime. Have one tomorrow evening and another the next evening. I'm excited and a bit nervous as I've never done an interview in this fashion before. I'll be treating this just as if this were a face to face interview; suit and tie, sitting at attention, etc. Any advice on how to setup the space I'll be sitting in?
Just imagine your are interviewing for your dream job. Be yourself. I would make sure that the room I am is clean and there is a lock on the door if there is a chance that somebody may barge in. My interviews were very relaxed, however I think that suit and tie is required and sit up straight. Not sure if its possible to sit at attention but it sound uncomfortable. Good luck and report back on how you did.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Make sure you have good lighting. Something placed behind/to the sides of your camera will help make sure you come across well on the other end. Start getting set up about 20 mins early, just to make sure all your tech works as expected. Have pen/paper handy to take notes as the interview progresses. Anything that personally interests you should be captured and brought up at the 'Any questions for us?' portion. Because you're doing a video call, if anything sounds the least bit fuzzy, ask for a repeat, and echo them for confirmation. I'd hate for you to answer a question backwards for not hearing a critical word.

Hope the best for you!!

bldalton

Make sure you have good lighting. Something placed behind/to the sides of your camera will help make sure you come across well on the other end. Start getting set up about 20 mins early, just to make sure all your tech works as expected. Have pen/paper handy to take notes as the interview progresses. Anything that personally interests you should be captured and brought up at the 'Any questions for us?' portion. Because you're doing a video call, if anything sounds the least bit fuzzy, ask for a repeat, and echo them for confirmation. I'd hate for you to answer a question backwards for not hearing a critical word.

Hope the best for you!!
Thank you fieldrat and devilbones! I will do my best to relax and try not to sit at attention, but sit still and respectfully. Got the room scoped out and just need to do a little housekeeping (it's my wife's sewing room). Will do my best to keep the kids and dogs out. I'll let you know how it went.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Perhaps I'm missing something, but on your profile there's nothing mentioned about a masters degree or Intel-related experience. Did I miss anything?

bldalton

Had three FaceTime interviews in the past few days. Just finished my third about an hour ago. It seemed to go very well, much better than I thought. I had my suit and tie and had my self situated in a quiet place. I setup a backboard around my laptop to minimize extraneous noise, distractions and echo.
RUFiO181, you are correct sir, I do not have my Master's, yet. I am working on it. However, that shouldn't stop me from trying. Two of my board members didn't have their Master's and they said I presented myself well and my packet was strong. I know the Master's is a strong discriminator, but I feel I make a strong candidate. I have read on here all that has been said about the necessity of a Master's degree, but I feel I make a good DIRCOM candidate. I will speak to my recruiter tomorrow to see what is the next step in process. I do appreciate the contributors to this post and the encouragement I have received so far.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Had three FaceTime interviews in the past few days. Just finished my third about an hour ago. It seemed to go very well, much better than I thought. I had my suit and tie and had my self situated in a quiet place. I setup a backboard around my laptop to minimize extraneous noise, distractions and echo.
RUFiO181, you are correct sir, I do not have my Master's, yet. I am working on it. However, that shouldn't stop me from trying. Two of my board members didn't have their Master's and they said I presented myself well and my packet was strong. I know the Master's is a strong discriminator, but I feel I make a strong candidate. I have read on here all that has been said about the necessity of a Master's degree, but I feel I make a good DIRCOM candidate. I will speak to my recruiter tomorrow to see what is the next step in process. I do appreciate the contributors to this post and the encouragement I have received so far.

It's been mentioned a few times before, but most reserve programs have gotten competitive over the years and the stats the board members had when they applied 10-20 years ago is way different now. Having a bachelor's degree might have worked back then, but masters degree and relevant work experience is the norm nowadays. Talking to IWC OICs and of course board members, the masters degree and 4-5 years of related work experience (in this case Intelligence) is what get folks seriously considered. They only took one non-masters degree candidate this past year, his military resume in intelligence was too good to pass up. The LORs, interviews, motivational statement, etc. is what helps separate the rest.

The Navy's Direct Commission Reserve program is just like applying for a job... a job listing might say you only need a bachelor's degree and 1-2 years work experience but in reality you need to have graduate education along with 4-5 years of experience to include leadership and contributions to the organization.

Your resume doesn't show any of that. I'm not discouraging you from applying, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high in getting selected. How do you stack up against individuals who have direct intelligence experience, including Navy, as well as graduate education? It's just short of impossible.

Last edited: