• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

exNavyOffRec

I heard the Intel numbers may be around 85 this year. All others look to be the same as the last few years.

In order to do that they would need to create a bunch more billets, so that is doubtful, they also won't even get info they need to figure out selection numbers until the end of the year, often when they select in Jan they don't even have hard numbers yet.

USNAVY

In order to do that they would need to create a bunch more billets, so that is doubtful, they also won't even get info they need to figure out selection numbers until the end of the year, often when they select in Jan they don't even have hard numbers yet.
If that's true I might have a shot!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
This is true. They didn't even have enough FY17 billets to commission everyone who was selected at the FY17 board, so some selectees from January 2017 will commission in FY18.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Anyone here get assigned a mentor?

Forgot to follow up on this one.

Some regions are assigning mentors to applicants who are applying for IWC DCO. I for one am not a big fan of it until AFTER they've been professionally recommended, not before.

From a recruiter's standpoint the mentor might be giving guidance that might not align with the recruiter. For instance, an applicant might be marginally qualified in which the mentor might simply tell the applicant "don't waste your time applying". All of a sudden, the applicant backs out leaving the recruiter to find another prospect.

Second, from a mentor's standpoint I wouldn't really know how to mentor someone who's not even in the community yet, especially one who's applying to a program with a 5-10% selection rate at best.

exNavyOffRec

Some regions are assigning mentors to applicants who are applying for IWC DCO. I for one am not a big fan of it until AFTER they've been professionally recommended, not before.

From a recruiter's standpoint the mentor might be giving guidance that might not align with the recruiter. For instance, an applicant might be marginally qualified in which the mentor might simply tell the applicant "don't waste your time applying". All of a sudden, the applicant backs out leaving the recruiter to find another prospect.

Second, from a mentor's standpoint I wouldn't really know how to mentor someone who's not even in the community yet, especially one who's applying to a program with a 5-10% selection rate at best.

or how about a mentor who thinks the candidate is a great candidate based on when he was selected, but when compared to who is getting selected now has no chance causing the recruiter to spend time on a candidate he would otherwise suggest to look at other options.

unbroken

Naval officer

Been off here for a while, but I'm curious to hear more about this. Someone mentioned to me recently that an O-6, with whom I am acquaintances, was their "DCO mentor." I hadn't the faintest idea what they meant. I guess this is what they're referencing. What's the goal of this program and who is being assigned as the mentor? Is it basically a voluntary program? What is the mentor supposed to be doing?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Been off here for a while, but I'm curious to hear more about this. Someone mentioned to me recently that an O-6, with whom I am acquaintances, was their "DCO mentor." I hadn't the faintest idea what they meant. I guess this is what they're referencing. What's the goal of this program and who is being assigned as the mentor? Is it basically a voluntary program? What is the mentor supposed to be doing?

To answer your question I really don't know what kind of mentoring they provide, other than say career advice and reserve affiliation. The Reserve IWC community, in particular the regions, aren't in the best of terms with navy recruiting. One of the reasons, assigning mentors to applicants and two, telling officer recruiters to deviate from recruiting SOPs just to accommodate their community's demands. Some IWC OIC Region OICs want recruiters to submit to them the entire package along with additional information and paperwork before accommodating the interviews. Big no no right there.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Mentors? Yeah, no. It's incumbent on the applicant to seek out and to find people to mentor them. It's like SEAL applicants posting on SOCNET.com asking for gouge on SEAL mentors. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out. That is part of the process.

If you are not resourceful enough to find your own mentor then you are not trying hard enough.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Mentors? Yeah, no. It's incumbent on the applicant to seek out and to find people to mentor them. It's like SEAL applicants posting on SOCNET.com asking for gouge on SEAL mentors. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out. That is part of the process.

If you are not resourceful enough to find your own mentor then you are not trying hard enough.
In some areas the mentor is assigned, it is not up to the applicant to find their own mentor. I am unsure of the mentor role. If you had the opportunity to aid in the development of your potential teammates would you do it? Maybe the IWC is the only community that is requiring a mentor for applicants.

Bmore84

What is the deadline for submitting packages for FY18 selection. By package I mean the final package sent to the national boards. Thank you!