• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 17 IDC DCO BOARD

patriot050

That's really good advice.. thank you! It makes sense too, that's a good way for the navy to get good\motivated people.

As for my NRD... I live in the seattle area, i've reached out to a recruiter before, but have held off for my masters, figured it would help me competition wise.

Are there any potential medical DQs i should be aware of? is wearing glasses an issue? (20/20 with glasses...near sided).

I really appreciate all the feedback, this has been invaluable thus far :)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
That's really good advice.. thank you! It makes sense too, that's a good way for the navy to get good\motivated people.

As for my NRD... I live in the seattle area, i've reached out to a recruiter before, but have held off for my masters, figured it would help me competition wise.

Are there any potential medical DQs i should be aware of? is wearing glasses an issue? (20/20 with glasses...near sided).

Sounds like @NavyOffRec is your recruiter. Good luck with that.

Crippy011

You live by the gouge, you die by the gouge

Ah, good ole NRD Seattle. I started my commission pursuit out there before transferring to NRD Chicago.

In regards to the glasses, if you make it through MEPS, you're good. If not, the Navy's medical corps will send you a N3M letter that states you need to see a outside doctor who will do a full workup of your eyes and submit a letter detailing their findings. If the findings show no issues with your eyes, you'll receive a waiver.

In regards to DQ's, that's really for MEPS to decide when you're in for your physical. Another piece of advice, take the duck walk and associated activities seriously. I got a few stories from my several visits but that's for another time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Magnum6

I may be the odd bird around here. I'm coming in as an Other Service Veteran (OSVET). I get zero hits when I search this site for OSVET, which was surprising to me. I'm applying for 1835 Intel. My stats:
- BS Electrical Engineering from a top 10 undergrad program (3.11 GPA)
- Regular Army commission as Armored Cavalry officer (hence the avatar)
- Company command in Iraq executing tactical intel missions (LRAS/GSR/Raven UAV recons on border, MSR's and in support of direct action OPS)
- Mix of service in active, reserve and IRR - total of about 10 "good years" towards retirement;
- Left the Army (from IRR) in 2013 to focus on my startup company
- Mid way through executive MBA at top 5 graduate program (currently about 3.5 GPA)
- Civilian employment - founder & CEO of a startup technology company

I perceive my biggest obstacles being:
1) I'm old (44 as of today). My understanding is that I can get an age waiver because I can make 20 years of federal service before I'm 60. However, this process is so competitive I'm thinking needing a waiver may be a non-starter.
2) My STEM experience is limited. My undergrad was EE, but I haven't "electrically engineered" anything since my senior design project and my graduate program is more focused on international political economy than anything math or science related. I'm running a technology startup, but my role is purely executive leadership and not technical.

Now that my company has some traction - I'm ready to put the uniform back on. Prior to leaving the Army, I wanted to branch transfer to Army Military Intelligence but quickly discovered that's basically impossible after company command unless you are personal friends with the President or SECDEF (I was not). I have a business colleague that went 1835 through DCO (as a civilian not OSVET) and convinced me it was worth a shot. So, here I am abandoning the Army in pursuit of Navy excellence. I plan on hiding out by myself come December and the Army/Navy game.

I'm not sure how to mitigate the obstacles above other than knocking a home run on interviews and letters. I've recently connected with an officer recruiter than handles OSVET and so far seems like he will be an excellent resource. Any insights/guidance/suggestions from this community as to how to improve my odds are most appreciated.

Crippy011

You live by the gouge, you die by the gouge
I may be the odd bird around here. I'm coming in as an Other Service Veteran (OSVET). I get zero hits when I search this site for OSVET, which was surprising to me. I'm applying for 1835 Intel. My stats:
- BS Electrical Engineering from a top 10 undergrad program (3.11 GPA)
- Regular Army commission as Armored Cavalry officer (hence the avatar)
- Company command in Iraq executing tactical intel missions (LRAS/GSR/Raven UAV recons on border, MSR's and in support of direct action OPS)
- Mix of service in active, reserve and IRR - total of about 10 "good years" towards retirement;
- Left the Army (from IRR) in 2013 to focus on my startup company
- Mid way through executive MBA at top 5 graduate program (currently about 3.5 GPA)
- Civilian employment - founder & CEO of a startup technology company

I perceive my biggest obstacles being:
1) I'm old (44 as of today). My understanding is that I can get an age waiver because I can make 20 years of federal service before I'm 60. However, this process is so competitive I'm thinking needing a waiver may be a non-starter.
2) My STEM experience is limited. My undergrad was EE, but I haven't "electrically engineered" anything since my senior design project and my graduate program is more focused on international political economy than anything math or science related. I'm running a technology startup, but my role is purely executive leadership and not technical.

Now that my company has some traction - I'm ready to put the uniform back on. Prior to leaving the Army, I wanted to branch transfer to Army Military Intelligence but quickly discovered that's basically impossible after company command unless you are personal friends with the President or SECDEF (I was not). I have a business colleague that went 1835 through DCO (as a civilian not OSVET) and convinced me it was worth a shot. So, here I am abandoning the Army in pursuit of Navy excellence. I plan on hiding out by myself come December and the Army/Navy game.

I'm not sure how to mitigate the obstacles above other than knocking a home run on interviews and letters. I've recently connected with an officer recruiter than handles OSVET and so far seems like he will be an excellent resource. Any insights/guidance/suggestions from this community as to how to improve my odds are most appreciated.

Calling @ryblyguy. Can you offer any advice/tips?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
@fieldrat, anything else to add?
I'm nominally against CISSP. Mostly due to the fact that it costs a ton, requires constant maintenance. Since all certs are moving in this direction, I'm losing the high ground on that issue. I still say that you should take the cost of CISSP and figure out how many other certs you can get for the same price. More certs == more resume(chest) candy, right?
Separately, something I did way before I considered applying, was think up a way to improve technical skills and award scholarships at my alma mater (out of pocket). It shows a desire to 'take charge', address issues, and lead. Something a friend taught me a few years ago is that everyone is a leader. You just got to figure out what your level of influence is, and who can benefit from your experience.

inpassing

Thought I may as well give my background. I'm always interested to hear about others trying to go DCO Intel (1835)

Non prior service
No STEM degree
8 years federal law enforcement (Special Agent)
Three overseas assignments (EUR/SE Asia/Iraq)
Credentialed diplomat
Security Attache at two embassies
Counter-Intel (CI) team in Iraq
Managed NBC portfolio/CI programs while overseas
Supervised team of Special Agents
Oversaw counter-terrorism program focused on ISIL recruitment and travel to conflict areas
SE Asian Language (2/2/2)
Specialized Training in Maritime SE Asia
Have security clearance already

I'm less than a year over the age cut-off so I'll need an age waiver.

My recruiter said I have a good background for the position and I feel it's inline with my day to day work experience. Now I just need to line some good interviews. My letters of reference are all O-5's in Intel except for one SWO.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
I'm less than a year over the age cut-off so I'll need an age waiver.
To your credit, you have tons of mitigating factors/experience, which is why your OR is likely willing submit a waiver request. Just be aware that the age waiver is not guaranteed. @NavyOffRec, can you provide more fidelity on this?

exNavyOffRec

To your credit, you have tons of mitigating factors/experience, which is why your OR is likely willing submit a waiver request. Just be aware that the age waiver is not guaranteed. @NavyOffRec, can you provide more fidelity on this?

Not sure what the OCM's current view is on age waivers, in the past if it was a hard to fill designator such as some type of medical doctor then they would waiver, but if a designator with lots of applicants probably not, just no need.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Age waivers are at the mercy of the OCM. For programs like Intel, Supply, and HR DCO programs where they're easy to fill getting an age waiver without prior military experience will be an uphill battle. Factors will be relevant civilian experience and possible contributions to the respective community. The applicant must also be aware if a waiver is approved that the applicant might not get a retirement from the military. Other programs, like EDO and like what @NavyOffRec said Medical, waivers are almost approved because they're hard to fill.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Alright Hair Warrior, if you're in, I'm in. We're gonna make it this time `round. It's time to start bugging our ORs for interviews, getting our certs up-to-date, sending transcripts and making plans to put together the best package we can in the Fall. Best of luck to all.
I've done everything I can. Full steam ahead. It's either enough, or it's not. I don't play the woulda/ shoulda/ coulda game with myself anymore. Life's too short for regrets.
Also, did you hear that the Navy is talking about bringing in Cyber folks at the E-7 and O-6 levels (active duty only)... I think this bodes well for us as it indicates that the Navy is trying to staff up on these billets.
I did. I got a nice lil discussion on the "SECNAV sweeping changes" thread a month or so ago.

BLUF: Nonconcur with the proposal.

Also, from an organizational management perspective, it's puzzling why the Navy would think it needs this change. (i.e. What is the root problem the Navy is trying to solve, and has the Navy first tried other DOTMLPF-P avenues to address the problem?)

Who knows. "Needs of the Navy."

P.S. RUMINT reports that the IWC Reserve is overmanned at JO levels. Report unable to be corroborated by 2nd source at this time.

Last edited: