• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future

mid1510

Rhinos are already the tankers. Not sure what you mean by 'vital part of the fight'.
b5350fef94c9d510ce8acc3752bb_grande.jpg

I know that the Rhino is already doing tanking missions, but I guess what I meant was do you think they will solely become a tanking platform (like the A-6 did toward its retirement) leaving the strike role solely to the F-35? Sorry for the confusion.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Mid1510,

The Navy is still buying Rhino's. So, we will have some F-35's that are the same age as some Rhino's. The Navy isnt buying enough F-35's to be the only tac air platform. They will be flying and fighting together in the future. The Rhino, especially the higher lot Rhino's are a very formidable platform. The APG-79, ALQ-214, ATFLIR, JHMCS and all the smart weapons that we carry, I see the Rhino flying and fighting for a long time. If the Rhino becomes a tanker only, it will be wayyyyyy down the road and the aircraft tanking off of them will probably be UAV's. If you select Strike Fighter and stay in long enough, you will retire before the Rhino's stop flying.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody's going to be doing 'only' one mission ever again. The platforms are more capable, and we have fewer of them...passing gas is just something else on the VFA flight sked.

Still beats the shit out of working at Sears.

bull-durham-20100818053351447_640w.jpg