• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future

mid1510

I know nobody here is a fortune teller, but what do you all think is the most career-stable Tailhook platform to go into these days (least probability of having to transfer to a new airframe later on in my career).

I looked at the "Future of Naval Aviation" article on the CNATRA website (http://nae.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/downloads/NAV2010_03_Future_intro_sp.pdf). The Growler will be around for awhile but does not have a scheduled replacement. There is also no replacement listed for the Rhino. Do you think they will develop one?

Would the most stable choice be the E-2D?

Thanks in advance.

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
I don't think there is ever a certainty for any platform. However, based on what the Navy is acquiring and what missions the Navy wants to keep:

Stable:
- F/A-18F
- EA-18G
- P-8A (not sure when they will start NFO training; they're not even in full production yet)
- E-2C/D
- E-6B

Unstable? (if you weren't going for a career, these would probably be fine to choose):
- EP-3E (supposed to be gone in a decade or so apparently and replaced by BAMS)
- EA-6B (not sure how long it will take to transition them to EA-18G)
- P-3C (not sure how long it will take to transition them to P-8A)

I'm not sure when you are getting winged, but based on you already being an SNFO, you will probably only have to transition to the P-8A, since that is the only platform not out yet. If you want to do a career in the same platform, then the Aries may not be the best choice (then again, things change all the time).

Just my $0.02 though.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P-8 is a-comin soon. I'm starting the CAT II syllabus next summer. CAT I guys will be going through then too.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Odd criteria,"stable." As a pilot, I'd welcome (and did welcome) the chance to fly more than one T/M/S in a career. The only "stability" I'd worry about is whether my mission was being outsource/automated/phased-out. The opportunity to experience more than one aircraft or get to go to school and get free flight time would actually be a plus, in my book.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
P-8 is a-comin soon. I'm starting the CAT II syllabus next summer.

That is a nice deal. Cutting your teeth on a new introduction type/model fleet aircraft is a rare & unique experience. As a 'Nugget' ENS, I was fortunate enough to go to one of the first A-4 Squadrons in '58 (was no FRS yet, we Fam'd each other!). New car smell, squeaky clean paint, systems operate perfectly (for quite a while). I can remember when A-4s, F-8s & F-3s got all the oohs & aahs at airshows. Next it will be the P-8.

I think you are very lucky...(read - all that & Per $$$, er Diem, too)!:)
BzB

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If by 'stable,' you mean you'll fly the same aircraft your whole career, pretty much anything you could select now will still be around by the time you're done flying, with the possible exception of the P-3 and EP-3. The SNFO's of 2031 will be selecting E-2s, Rhinos, Shockers and P-8s. Probably WSOs on some flavor of big UAV, too...whatever BAMS and UCAS become.

It wouldn't suprise me if some P-3s are still droning around in 15 years, so if you were determined to stay in type, I imagine it'd be possible (why you'd want to is another question).

If you're an E-2 guy, you'll probably be bouncing around between CNS/ATM Group IIs, Hawkeye 2000s and Ds over the course of a flying career. IOC for the D is still a few years off, and it'll take a good long while before the whole fleet transitions. Put it this way: if you selected E-2s today, you could very plausibly retire without ever setting foot in a D.

Anyway...long-term platform stability isn't a reason to put one plane on your dream sheet over another, if that's why you're asking. Anything beyond next FY is written in warm Jello with unicorn blood, especially in this budget environment.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If you want 'stable' and tailhook, then VRC is the logical choice.
All combat aircraft are plannedwill move to Unmannned Systems in the future.

When an Admiral agrees to ride a UAV off a ship (either fixed wing or helo) then that will be the end of VRC and helos.
Until that time, there will always be a need for manned aircraft to transport people.

MasterBates

No NFOs in C-2s.. Although the line of E-2 NFO would be going out the door of 120, and wrapped around VRC-40.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not everyone can be a COD guy. I didn't start there, but I'm damn glad I ended up there!

mid1510

Just a thought I had..

IF the JSF comes online when it is supposed to, do you think the Rhino will assume the tanking role for the Air Wing much like the A-6 did? Or do you think it will remain a vital part of the fight?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rhinos are already the tankers. Not sure what you mean by 'vital part of the fight'.
b5350fef94c9d510ce8acc3752bb_grande.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And just in case that didn't horrify you enough...this is coming soon to a recovery near you:

7958_512.jpg