• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future of NFOs in the Marine Corps?

nugget61

pilot
As I understand it, decreased visual acuity means that no mater what the doc's do, they can't get you to 20/20. But seeing as how he's already 20/20 that shouldn't be an issue. They could have found an astigmatism under the cycloplegic refraction, but for the OP to not know he had a NPQ, inoperable astigmatism for this long in his life is unlikely.
Rohanc, please keep us updated - and be sure to only go down swinging.

rohanc

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. They haven't called me back to reschedule the anthro measurements, so I'm pretty sure I'll have to keep on top of them to get back there anytime soon. I reread the physical requirements for SNA and now I'm totally confused as to why I was NPQ. I'll be sure to ask a LOT more questions when I go back. If I am NPQ though, it looks like going NFO would be a bad idea at this time - 24 months to wait just for API?!

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Echo what Crowbar said. Though there's a possibility Marine FOs will only be around another decade, I think the likelyhood of the Corps giving you the boot at that time is slim.

Pay no heed to the Pensacola rumor mill's theory of wait time, it it is constantly varying. 15-24 months sounds ridiculous though...think about it, dudes would be pinning on Captain during advanced.

DevilDog9782

I agree, 15-24 months is bad rumor. Aside from the fact that it does change week to week, I know personally that the wait was more in the range of 3-6 mos (tops) a few months ago. The NFO wait is longer than for the SNAs but nowhere near that long unless you had some ridiculously long string of complex waivers.

The Marine NFO community will be going away in the future, but not in the near future and there will be plenty of time for one to spend in the cockpit as an NFO. Additionally, while there are no specific plans yet on what to do with us, there will be jobs available in the Marine Corps.

MettGT

pilot
I agree, 15-24 months is bad rumor. Aside from the fact that it does change week to week, I know personally that the wait was more in the range of 3-6 mos (tops) a few months ago. The NFO wait is longer than for the SNAs but nowhere near that long unless you had some ridiculously long string of complex waivers.

The Marine NFO community will be going away in the future, but not in the near future and there will be plenty of time for one to spend in the cockpit as an NFO. Additionally, while there are no specific plans yet on what to do with us, there will be jobs available in the Marine Corps.

Actually, it's not that far off. Having just graduated API...SNFOs who graduated with me from Bravo Co at TBS aren't scheduled to class up for API until July 09. Currently, they are taking approx 2 Marine SNAs a week and 1 Marine SNFO a month. Plus there is now an influx of Charlie and Delta guys. Obviously, this could change with a drop of a hat, but that's what it is now.

DevilDog9782

I stand corrected. Well that freaking sucks for the SNFOs just reporting.... I thought I had a huge wait at 7 mos a few years ago. Extra important to get hooked up for a good stash job now if you are going to be doing it for nearly two years.

Actually, it's not that far off. Having just graduated API...SNFOs who graduated with me from Bravo Co at TBS aren't scheduled to class up for API until July 09. Currently, they are taking approx 2 Marine SNAs a week and 1 Marine SNFO a month. Plus there is now an influx of Charlie and Delta guys. Obviously, this could change with a drop of a hat, but that's what it is now.

rohanc

So is there any real disadvantage for Marine SNFOs waiting 15-24 months to class up, as far as promotion, etc. goes? What do they do for that long?

MettGT

pilot
I wouldn't say that there is any real disadvantage career wise because promotion to 1st LT and then Captain is almost automatic. Also, your FITREPs are unobserved while in training, but if you get stashed somewhere long enough, you could see an observed FITREP come out of it. If you're waiting around, you'll get stashed somewhere, whether it be LEAD, one of the AMSs, over at Corry, legal, etc. Some use the time to get their eyes cut or redesignate to pilot or both.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Echo what Crowbar said. Though there's a possibility Marine FOs will only be around another decade, I think the likelyhood of the Corps giving you the boot at that time is slim.

Pay no heed to the Pensacola rumor mill's theory of wait time, it it is constantly varying. 15-24 months sounds ridiculous though...think about it, dudes would be pinning on Captain during advanced.

Exactly what it was in late 70s with downsizing after Vietnam. I was frocked to 0-3 in VT-86 as were several others.

So is there any real disadvantage for Marine SNFOs waiting 15-24 months to class up, as far as promotion, etc. goes? What do they do for that long?

I ended up working in Pentagon on OPNAV staff and got offered Intraservice Transfer to USN, which sped up my arrival in PCola. My TBS Company mates ended up painting ammo cans in the woods.

johnoldc2

Marine NFO wait in Pcola?

I was wondering if anyone had any info on how long the current wait is for Marine NFO's before starting API? I've heard 15 months...? If this is true what are "they" doing about it, if anything? I know some guys are switching MOS...has this cut down the wait at all?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
They definately just held all nfo contracts 2.5 months back at tbs so there must be a nasty wait. hopefully that will let the nfo pool "drain" a bit and get you through smoother