• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future of helo land

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
gatordev said:
I don't know if it's "-53s" or Sierras that is actually doing the mission, but HC-whatever from Sig is the one going overland. They, at least used to, have the non-minehunting -53s. That's straight from a friend of a friend, so I think it's fairly reliable.

HC-4 is in Sigonella flying the MH-53E - and they are indeed supporting a lot of players in the theatre. Eventually I think they will decommission this squadron because it wasn't included in the Helo Master Plan.

The CO of HC-4 is a guy named Greg Adair - we were nuggets together in HC-6, cruise mates, and students in the HT's and the RAG together. He has done quite a few joint tours with SOC - so he's would definetly be one of the visionaries at the O-5 level who is pushing the Navy Helo community to do more and be more visable.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Great discussion guys, there's too many things discussed here to address them all but I'l try to get to most of your posts.

HH-60H: Armed Helo Block III aircraft is not an upgrade to Block II's (meaning that they can't be upgraded to block III) not sure if that's what u meant, they are called Armed Helo Kits because the stub wings and support equipment come as a kit. Block III equipment is already on contract, the only thing still pending is ordenance (i.e. LOGIR) and wether or not we get a refueling probe. HC-4 in Sig, soon to move to Norfolk are currently in the process to get NVG capability, them, HM-14 and HM-15 are currently non-NVG NSW capable but HC-4 handles most missions although it's not their primary...yet, they do this because the MH-53E has such large legs and can carry everybody in one aircraft, and is much faster. The '53E and all three squadrons are on the Master Helo Plan until the 53X comes around and for the HM guys until the 60S OAMCM capability matches that of legacy AMCM, whichever happens first.

CHUCK: The combat role of HSC and HSM is not going to change, even though Blk III's are more than capable for CAS this upgrade was done exclusively to increase CSAR capability specially for the CSG which is very limited with the H's compared to a S, not for troop support, that will continue to rely on the Marines. In other words, unless there's a crew down behind the lines chances are that Sierras will just be shooting at bad guy's ships, gotta say though that the ability to support shore strikes is part of their planned capability.

Pags, Chubby: Air Ambulance currently are for Army support and under Army control, you'll be out there living on an Army camp. Sounds strange but that's why the aircraft are being reconfigured and a training program being implemented as we speak so are orders for guys to go out there.
HSC squadrons PMA (Primary Mission Area) are ASuW CSAR OAMCM, what happened with AMCM is that the original concept was for the 53's to be replaced, but after tests and development it was obvious that they couldn't match the mission capability, so about a year ago it was determined that the '53's will stay around and the Sierras would just bring limited on site CSG/ESG AMCM capability to protect them against mine threat.

WHEW!!!!! sorry, that was long but I think it's important for all helo guys specially HT guys to get this info, not rumors but the facts.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Armed Helo Block III aircraft is not an upgrade to Block II's (meaning that they can't be upgraded to block III) not sure if that's what u meant, they are called Armed Helo Kits because the stub wings and support equipment come as a kit.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I always seemed to doze off when our CO or XO started talking about that stuff.

Cyclic said:
HM-14 and HM-15 are currently non-NVG NSW capable but HC-4 handles most missions although it's not their primary...yet, they do this because the MH-53E has such large legs and can carry everybody in one aircraft, and is much faster.
Obviously, non NVG NSW is not particularly useful, but I have some questions on the NSW support capablities of the 53E and the HC/HM community. Do you guys do landing only insertions? Or fastrope/rappel also? Can you do overwater insertions like casting and K or T duck?

Cyclic said:
...CSAR capability specially for the CSG which is very limited with the H's compared to a S
What do you mean? What is limited and how?

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Yes to all, everything is carried internally then out the ramp on a 10/10 and up to 10,000ft paradrops.
When I say limited I refer to be able to carry two 2.75 rocket pods or amount of Hellfires (8) and that the Sierra has stations for two 50 cals aft and two 230 or mini guns fwd plus armored flooring, and most important plenty of room in the cabin, so a single rescue a/c can pick up up to 10 downed crews depending on seat and aux tank configuration, plus the huge advantage of a refueling probe....if it's ever funded.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
skidkid said:
Rocket pods and Hellfires? you guys after my job?

Hehe, yup. We just can't do it as well. :) And as HH-60H is saying, I don't know if the you two even realize that we're trained to support the Cobras (or Apaches). Hell, they're used to be a tactic for it in the TACMAN (T-Bone)before we went to the joint CAS standard.

I think the LOGIR is a pretty neat idea, I just don't completely buy it's advertised capability. I'm sure I'd be proved wrong w/ time, since EVERYONE is looking at this thing (not just aviation), but it has the potential to become the next Penguin (Where's the target? I don't know, so I'll just plunge into the water).

And just to further HH-60H's point, and for the benefit of the nuggets/SNAs, LAMPS does do some NSW, including H/VBSS and such. In fact we are trained (and do) it w/ HS guys, as well. Personally, I've done night tactical takedowns/VBSS w/ the CG as well, although they don't call it NTTR anymore.

Thanks for the info, Cyclic. Good to hear about the Sierra from someone in "aquisitions." ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Hell, I am glad Chubby started this thread. I am learning more about other Navy RW communities than I ever did in the fleet.

What is LOGIR?

Cyclic:
Given the nature of our FLIR/Hellfire system and I suspect the S's system, Hellfire is not a very good CSAR weapon. In fact alot of HS sqdns don't use it during CSAR (there are a few really gung ho ones that do) it is more offensive (I am talking Navy only, I can't speak for the Apache system). However, rocket pods and more machine guns would always be a plus. Also doors on both sides is a HUGE plus, in all missions. One advantage the H has over the current S is the combat radius/fuel load. Other than a fuel probe, how is this being addressed?
BTW Happy Birthday.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Inertial/IR guided fire and forget 2.75in "ZUNI" rocket,

From Google:

logir-apkws.jpg

I totally agree with you on the Hellfire use, the only scenario I see that would call for them is APC threat, where you would definitely want at least one ship loaded.

The gas issue was resolved by the option of installing up to two 200gal internal aux tanks, which makes about 3,700 or 3,900 lbs total, of course it all depends on ordenance load, there's been talk about getting "D" engines which the Army is already getting on their new Blackhawks, but that's far down the road.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Oooo, that is so cool. I would love to fly around with some of those.

Can anyone tell me why a rocket with a guidance system isn't called a missile?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
As an SNA who is approaching selection and thinking seriously about helos, I'm really glad this thread was started. And thanks to everyone who's posted the good info, I've learned a lot on here. Keep the info coming please.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Stop thinking about it and do it!
While there are some really cool things about FW (TACAIR esp) helos are alot of fun, really laid back, and currently going through a huge transition which will bring it to the forefront of modern warfare.

gregsivers

pilot
I'm pretty sure its gonna happen, the whole jet cutoff is probably gonna be above my head anyway, and helos have always interested me.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Awesome thread btw....

Greg
Go helos, it rocks! I totally agree with HH-60H, now is a real interesting time to get involved with navy helos.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Absolutely, now that all helo commutities have a warfare and pure vertrep is diminishing you can't loose. Although 60's are awesome...there is only one, truly, undisputed champion, the true king of Rotary Aviation...let it rip...

ch53e.jpg

ch-53e.jpg

Reactions: E5B

gregsivers

pilot
Now thats an awesome pic. Every time one of MH-53s takes off at Corpus I stop and watch. It would be awesome to fly one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.