• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

funny things you've heard on the radio

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This wasn't incredibly funny, but it inspired me to make this thread in hopes that people here would have some good gems they've heard over the years...

Today my crew is doing a qual and we hear some dude spouting something random about beer over the radio. We hear a pause and then from another aircraft, "Cool story bro, you're on guard."

jtmedli

pilot
My old civilian CFI once translated the 65 year old retired AF Colonel, that worked at the FBO for fun, telling a corporate jet pilot that he'd give him a "Tow Job" into "What?...You're gonna give him a Blow Job?" over the CTAF.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Speaking of "Beavis and Butthead do aviation" moments-

One of those FBO conversations on UNICOM, overheard half of a conversation in which some guy fifty miles away was checking on his rental car and a pizza. It must have been important to him that the pizza come with "sausage" because he kept repeating that detail... much to my amusement and who knows how many other people across the southeastern U.S. up 122.95.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Last year, while taking a P-3 up to Maryland, we heard an Air Tran guy give his: "This is captain so and so, from the flight deck..." speech on center. The center controller came back with, "That was nice Air Tran, now try that on the intercom so everyone gets to hear."

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Accidentally transmitting on base doesn't spread the hilarity all across the ATC airwaves, but it can be pretty entertaining in the squadron. We recently had someone somehow transmit their knock-it-off call on base. So the ODO jumped in with, "Base, knock-it-off."

Crowbar

None
I had posted this before (in 2006 apparently) but it took a minute to find it:

I heard this in Orlando's class B:
Cessna: Approach, Cessna 123 is doing aerial photography, and we'd like to start with area number two.
Approach: You want to start with area number two, then what would you like to do?
Cessna: We're going to be there about 10 minutes, then we'd like to work area number one for about 10 minutes.
Approach: So you want to do number one after you do number two?
Cessna: Yes, sir.
(long pause)
Approach: Well, that got a big laugh out of everybody here, you're approved as requested.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Last year, while taking a P-3 up to Maryland, we heard an Air Tran guy give his: "This is captain so and so, from the flight deck..." speech on center. The center controller came back with, "That was nice Air Tran, now try that on the intercom so everyone gets to hear."
Heard this one too.

One of my favorites was an airliner who got cleared diect to someplace ludicrous far away. He started his readback with a sheen worthy " winnnnnning."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny in retrospect. My class in Meridian is doing mid-stage FCLPs at homefield. Runway 01L IIRC. My class leader . . . heck, most of us, have been working the standard early T-45 stud thing: too much power on the come-down or fly-thru down in the middle, rising ball, stuff the nose, high fast/flat in close to at the ramp, bolter, try again. Of course you'd have to ask an LSO if that that's indeed a trend among early T-45 studs, as opposed to my admittedly flawed memory, but it's germane to the story.

We're bouncing away, and class leader (as I found out later) was boltering away, and beginning to lose patience with himself. In the meantime, I hear over my headset an instructor pilot returning solo with some sort of gear problem for the downwind entry. He duly sequences himself into the pattern and asks Paddles to check his gear on the low approach. Paddles does, sees things in more or less correct orientation, and he comes around to land. That is the last transmission I hear over Tower as I in my Goosehawk zorch upwind.

Little did I know that in sequencing himself in to land, the instructor had placed himself directly abaft my intrepid class leader, who was in the groove shortly thereafter. Maybe I just missed the ball call; who knows. Class leader again gets heinously overpowered, tickles the top of the lens, stuffs the nose, and bolters like a big dog, and goes MRT, boards in. In the action of clenching his left hand to thumb in the boards and advance the throttles to MRT, he manages to key the mic. Yes, I am well familiar that this is an easily-accomplished phenomenon in the T-45 (don't ask).

For a split-second, I thought the instructor was dead. I looked back expecting to see a fireball or a T-45 cartwheeling down the runway. Because over tower came the most bloodcurdling quasi-intelligible profane screech ever transmitted over UHF. Yes, my class leader had boltered. And boy, was he pissed about it!

blackbart22

pilot
When the altitude reporting altimeters first came out, air controlers would ask your altitude and then correct you if you'd rounded it off. One night I heard LA center ask an airliner his altitude, and he came back with " Twenty thousand feet, but for you nineteen ninety five." with the accent.