• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funniest Airshow Stories

jmcquate

Contributor
This thread kills me. You are to complaining about taking a jet/Whirly thing to a place were they give you a rental car and a hotel room, where you get to wear bags in bars at a city that doesn't resent the military being there with women throwing their self's at you, get free food and beer and have to answer a couple of dumb questions from kids who worship you like gods, and found a way to complain about it...........think about that.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
them: *points to anything* "What's that?"

me: "that's the flux capacitor, it'sthedevicethatmakestimetravelpossible"

them: *processing* "...oh neat."

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
This thread kills me. You are to complaining about taking a jet/Whirly thing to a place were they give you a rental car and a hotel room, where you get to wear bags in bars at a city that doesn't resent the military being there with women throwing their self's at you, get free food and beer and have to answer a couple of dumb questions from kids who worship you like gods, and found a way to complain about it...........think about that.

I've worked 3 (4 maybe?) airshows. Literally every single one of them was on a Naval Air Station, in the summer, and on a weekend in addition to my normal duty hours. I enjoyed them all because I enjoy interacting with genuinely interested folks in the public and meeting aviation enthusiasts, but I can absolutely see why someone wouldn't want to.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Lighten up, Francis. The intent of this thread was to share funny stories, at least based on the title and first post. Pardon all of us for wanting to poke a little harmless fun at some silly things that have happened along the way. Believe me, it doesn't mean we don't appreciate how amazing this job can be.

That said, the guys that ask a question and then tell me the answer I give them is wrong are especially annoying. Guys like that are just rude. And the UFO questions are the worst. It's always a trap.

But airshows are awesome to attend. Now, where is that CHINFO list again...?

Last edited:

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

As a once great former department head of mine would’ve said...” The Marine Corps could take the fun out of a blowjob if it wanted to...”

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

I could have posted this in the "Private Naval Aviators" forum, but I didn't because I thought some good natured fun about airshows might be interesting for the wannabes and the soon-to-be's and used-to-be's to read. You were given a backstage pass to what the life of a fighter pilot is like, and you complained about what you saw backstage. I consider that ungrateful. I'll remember to keep my content in the Private forum from now on.

Before I started flight school, I learned a ton about Naval Aviation as a community from reading these forums. Insight to what the real life of a pilot or NFO might be like. I was thankful for that inside look, and on occasion I try to pay it forward. Doctors share funny stories about patients with other doctors (privacy protected of course). Cops share stories about funny traffic stops with other cops. Lawyers share funny stories about clients with other lawyers. This is what you do within a profession.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Standing next to a nearly brand new HH-60M (less than 200 hours on it). A guy walks up to me and says, "My uncle flew these in Vietnam."
Another asked me, "Is this a full scale model?"

People go to airshows because they like aviation "things". They want to talk about their relationship with aviation. It's like anything else.
For example: Me, straddling my mountain bike at the trailhead and a guy says to me, "I've got a Mongoose mountain bike at home." Me: "That's a nice bike." Then I look down at the front wheel of my bike that costs more than his whole bike. Meh, if he enjoys it, that's what counts.

But still, it's funny.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
This old guy likes going to the air shows and talking with the crew who act like they dom't mind being there. I know I'm having a good time when the better half walks away shaking her head and mumbling about "old man stories" not only do I see where my taxes are going, I can see how much the equipment has evolved.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'll see that, and raise you Fleet Week San Diego.
Fleet Week in a fleet concentration area? WTF is the point? Fleet Week in an appreciative US city with no military presence nearby is incredible. It's like being a rock star for a few days. Especially when your boat is moored in Manhattan and is open to the city. Wearing whites got you in EVERYWHERE (Yankees games, empire state, subway, museums) for free and no end to free drinks and food. The experienced enlisted guys had multiple Dixie cups with them so they could give them away to kids and girls. We had guys get a ride back to the ship from the NYPD with the lights on so they didnt bust liberty expiration. Wife drove up to meet me, Boss gave me overnight libo, and we had a grand time out in town. Sex In The City had a Fleet Week episode if that helps give you an idea of what Fleet Week means to the single ladies of NYC.