• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funniest Airshow Stories

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
A family friend told us that folks kept thinking the F-117 had the capability to carry SOF teams and do in-flight boarding operations that they had just seen in some crap 1990s action movie. Some people really didn't believe him when he explained it was just a single seater.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not me, but a friend taking a P-3 to a show explained the MAD boom as something the P-3 dips into the water to attract subs to the surface.

My dad's favorite VP airshow story was of flying a P2V up to NAS Lemoore for the base commissioning fly-in/airshow in 1961. Said as him and his crew were doing static display duty, some little old lady and her husband walked up, and in a hushed tone, she whispered the question "is this thing supersonic?" Old man or maybe his copilot (can't remember) said "no ma'am, but it is highly subsonic", at which point she clubbed her husband with her purse and said "I TOLD YOU IT WAS FAST!"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My dad's favorite VP airshow story was of flying a P2V up to NAS Lemoore for the base commissioning fly-in/airshow in 1961. Said as him and his crew were doing static display duty, some little old lady and her husband walked up, and in a hushed tone, she whispered the question "is this thing supersonic?" Old man or maybe his copilot (can't remember) said "no ma'am, but it is highly subsonic", at which point she clubbed her husband with her purse and said "I TOLD YOU IT WAS FAST!"
F . . . totally would have used this in the Prowler. :D

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I prefer to be on the other side of the fun.

Every airshow I go to, I try and mosey up to the poor schmuck standing in front of <insert military static display here>, and earnestly ask, "Is the the airplane from Top Gun"? "Are these the guns?" "Is that a bomb?" "This thing needs a wash!" "Is that your callsign there on the side of the cockpit?"

If he is wearing crossed anchors on his nametag, "Where did you go to flight school? Pensacola? I thought all Navy pilots went to Pensacola?"

Wearing a green piss-cutter: "Hey there, Ensign, how are you doing today?"
Wearing a tan piss-cutter: "How's the show, Captain?"

Endlessly entertaining to watch guys tapdance and correct "an idiot asking questions".

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Sometimes you have to ask yourself if all of the questions from old retired guys are really that dumb or if they're just "paying it forward" by fucking with the current generation. I hope it's the latter.
My retirement is not all that far away...

Mwuahahahaha!!!

BenDog

More than once in my warbird travels......
" How do y'all get these old airplanes here?" Oh very simple sir or ma'am....we take them apart and truck them everywhere. The truck is parked behind the hangar.

Once at the Oceana show in 2012, had a guy ask me some very pointed questions about our FLIR turret on our 60.

GroundPounder

Les Shockley used to come to our local airshow every year, and make several runs a day with some type of jet powered truck or car. One of the things that we always did was to offer a ride with him to a performer or sponsor. One year we had Harrier(s) that were part of the display and one of the pilots was offered a ride, which he accepted. He gets all strapped in and as the truck turns on to the runway, he looks over at Les and says something to the effect of " on second thought, I don't want to do this..." Obviously at that point, he was past the point of no return. Things go well and when they pull the jet truck back, I see the pilot getting out, white as a ghost.

LS jettruck.jpg

Prior to that I had always angled around to try and get a ride, but after that I figured if it was too much for him, I was good watching it from the sidelines.

One year he actually had a chute failure and went trough the fence and ended up on the golf course that surrounds KDNL. He was OK, but it could have been bad had he rolled.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
This happened to a buddy of mine at the Little Rock AFB airshow in the late 2000s.

The crew took shifts staying at the jet and my buddy had the morning shift. He had to piss really bad and his replacement finally showed up. He hightailed it over to the porta-pots half way across the tarmac and was able to take care of business. As he opened the door and stepped out, he saw a younger guy with a trucker hat covering a mullet and a sleeveless snapshirt running at a full sprint. Then, an MP yelled "STOP!", raised his rifle and double tapped. The guy dropped like ten feet infront of him. There was a crowd gathered around and the MP released his German Sheppard which ran up and bit into the guy's lifeless body.

My buddy said he was freaking out pretty bad...contemplating how all this just happened right in front of him. Then the crowd started clapping. Turns out, it was an MP/dog display demo for the airshow.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
This happened to a buddy of mine at the Little Rock AFB airshow in the late 2000s.

The crew took shifts staying at the jet and my buddy had the morning shift. He had to piss really bad and his replacement finally showed up. He hightailed it over to the porta-pots half way across the tarmac and was able to take care of business. As he opened the door and stepped out, he saw a younger guy with a trucker hat covering a mullet and a sleeveless snapshirt running at a full sprint. Then, an MP yelled "STOP!", raised his rifle and double tapped. The guy dropped like ten feet infront of him. There was a crowd gathered around and the MP released his German Sheppard which ran up and bit into the guy's lifeless body.

My buddy said he was freaking out pretty bad...contemplating how all this just happened right in front of him. Then the crowd started clapping. Turns out, it was an MP/dog display demo for the airshow.

They killed a guy for an MP demo? Damn, that's some legit propaganda right there...

;)