• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FULL DISCLOSURE - Does HSV 2 (Genital Herpes) Disqualify from Marine Flight school

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Pants

Flash, he sorta answered himself after he was asked about any meds he is on (he denies meds) and after asking what he found in the waiver guide (nothing there either). In asking those questions, I just wanted him to do a little bit of legwork.

That drippy little thing of yours, well, that is another story, best answered by the likes of someone not named feddoc.
18.2 of the Aeromedical Waiver Guide "All antibiotics other than the following very specific exceptions require grounding (CD)." And it goes even further to state, "ACYCLOVIR, VALACYCLOVIR: CD for continuous therapy. Waivers are considered for suppressive/prophylactive therapy. Intermittent therapy does not require a waiver. The patient should be grounded and monitored for side effects for a minimum of 3 days during the initial treatment or upon initiation of suppressive therapy. The need for suppressive therapy should be reassessed on an annual basis. Topical acyclovir is NCD." Acyclovir and valacyclovir are generic Valtrex, which is an antiviral medication that suppresses the growth and spread of the virus so you do not have subsequent outbreaks.

When someone denies something, they are refusing to disclose the truth. Not being on meds just means that the this particular case is not as severe, in which suppressive therapy or imminent therapy is not necessary. Which also confirms my previous statistic in which 50-80% of people may carry the virus but do not know b/c they are asymptomatic and have never been tested. Do you constantly take antiviral medications b/c you've had an outbreak of chicken pox, which is a form of the herpes virus, no you don't b/c your body has built up enough antibodies to keep it in check. Physiologically the virus may have been "reactivated" but you may never show any signs or symptoms b/c antibodies, WBC, Helper T-Cells, basically a fully functional immune response would have defeated or suppressed the virus even before it has a chance to show any signs or symptoms.

The_Pants

In noway was I trying to make defamatory remarks (Robav8r) to discredit someone's reputation or step on anyone's feet, but b/c this is in fact composed of legitimate Officers who are held to the highest of standards and represent something bigger than themselves other than "entitlements" it is somewhat disappointing the way you have treated a new member that is also aspiring to become part of an elite few. The Officers I have encountered these past few years have not only been helpful, but also respectful and understanding. I cannot say the same for some of you. Yes, jokes are funny and sarcasm is healthy to a certain extent, but only when used properly. I didn't need a bombardment of asshole remarks. Even though AW is somewhat an anonymous forum, a level of mutual respect should be maintained at all times. And from my understanding under AW's SOP "While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters." I don't think call sign Chancre or G-KOG was necessary. And what's with the negative feedback ("Dumb, Dislike")? -14 in the last 24+ hours, wtf?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
In noway was I trying to make defamatory remarks (Robav8r) to discredit someone's reputation or step on anyone's feet, but b/c this is in fact composed of legitimate Officers who are held to the highest of standards and represent something bigger than themselves other than "entitlements" it is somewhat disappointing the way you have treated a new member that is also aspiring to become part of an elite few. The Officers I have encountered these past few years have not only been helpful, but also respectful and understanding. I cannot say the same for some of you. Yes, jokes are funny and sarcasm is healthy to a certain extent, but only when used properly. I didn't need a bombardment of asshole remarks. Even though AW is somewhat an anonymous forum, a level of mutual respect should be maintained at all times. And from my understanding under AW's SOP "While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters." I don't think call sign Chancre or G-KOG was necessary. And what's with the negative feedback ("Dumb, Dislike")? -14 in the last 24+ hours, wtf?

Naval Aviation is a place where new guys DO NOT show up and immediately have 'street cred' or unwavering respect. You have to earn what you get, this profession is ultimately about life and death and you have not proven yourself one bit to any vetted member, which are people with wings. We can joke and have fun, even in a case like this. If you stop, lose the sense of entitlement, and pop your head out of your ass you will see that in the midst of all the joking your question was answered.

Instead, you are now trying to lecture us on how to behave. If you don't change your mindset you are very unlikely to make it in Naval Aviation.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
18.2 of the Aeromedical Waiver Guide "All antibiotics other than the following very specific exceptions require grounding (CD)." And it goes even further to state, "ACYCLOVIR, VALACYCLOVIR: CD for continuous therapy. Waivers are considered for suppressive/prophylactive therapy. Intermittent therapy does not require a waiver. The patient should be grounded and monitored for side effects for a minimum of 3 days during the initial treatment or upon initiation of suppressive therapy. The need for suppressive therapy should be reassessed on an annual basis. Topical acyclovir is NCD." Acyclovir and valacyclovir are generic Valtrex, which is an antiviral medication that suppresses the growth and spread of the virus so you do not have subsequent outbreaks.

When someone denies something, they are refusing to disclose the truth. Not being on meds just means that the this particular case is not as severe, in which suppressive therapy or imminent therapy is not necessary. Which also confirms my previous statistic in which 50-80% of people may carry the virus but do not know b/c they are asymptomatic and have never been tested. Do you constantly take antiviral medications b/c you've had an outbreak of chicken pox, which is a form of the herpes virus, no you don't b/c your body has built up enough antibodies to keep it in check. Physiologically the virus may have been "reactivated" but you may never show any signs or symptoms b/c antibodies, WBC, Helper T-Cells, basically a fully functional immune response would have defeated or suppressed the virus even before it has a chance to show any signs or symptoms.

When someone denies something, they are refusing to disclose the truth. No, that is not the case. In this particular instance, you denied taking meds.

If you live long enough, you will see the word(s) 'denies', 'denied', etc., often enough in your medical record. The words "denies allergic reaction to medications" and "denies history of...." are repeated often in my medical record. It doesn't mean that either of us is refusing to tell the truth.

BTW, thanks for the lecture/refresher on what is in the waiver guide. That was cute.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Naval Aviation is a place where new guys DO NOT show up and immediately have 'street cred' or unwavering respect. You have to earn what you get, this profession is ultimately about life and death and you have not proven yourself one bit to any vetted member, which are people with wings. We can joke and have fun, even in a case like this. If you stop, lose the sense of entitlement, and pop your head out of your ass you will see that in the midst of all the joking your question was answered.

Instead, you are now trying to lecture us on how to behave. If you don't change your mindset you are very unlikely to make it in Naval Aviation.

insanebikerboy offers good words above. If you choose to be a part of a certain group, it is wise to accept those standards contained within and agreed to by that group. This particular group has to accept you, not you accept the group...the latter will never, ever work.

You aren't fitting in so well right now which indicates a lack of understanding about what it takes to fly in the Navy. The guys on this site will give you a ration of crap for miscues, which in itself can be a sign of acceptance, but will often bend over backwards to help out a newby....as long as he abides by oft unstated rules of conduct. Take the time to learn from what guys are trying to tell you.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Look Drippy,
You are going to need some thick fucking skin to join our club. That's the way it is. If you walked into ANY wardroom/ready room and asked "will herpes ground a guy?" You are going to get the same, if not worse. Being a complete douchenozzle about it won't help.
My mom taught me the rules of Naval Warfare, there are two:
1: Never expose your weakness to a foe.
2: Find your foe's weakness and use it to your advantage.

The same applies to shenaniganery...if you react to something that we find amusing, it will be used against you to further said amusement.

Harden the fuck up,
That is all.

Pickle

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harden the fuck up,
That is all.

Pickle

Wonderful words....Thanks Chopper!
chopperpic.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
OP, you ever play on a sport's team? If so, did you show up to day 1 of tryouts and expect everyone to respect you as a player without seeing what you're made of? Do you show up and say "hi guys, my brother's cousin's friend has genital herpes, is it okay if he plays on this team too?" and expect not to be ridiculed and laughed at? Do you think any response other than "damn right I have herpes, and I got it from your mom last night!" is going to make it stop?

Because that's what you just did in this thread, except you haven't even made it to day 1 of tryouts.

81montedriver

pilot

Listen brosif, the guys above brought up valuable points and I would heed their advice. Here's some more.

You are right about ONE thing. We are all officers and are respectful people. The other part of us is our Type A personalities. We are not going to let some new jack walk into our wardroom and start pushing us around. You asked the questions and before giving anybody the chance to answer, you answered your own question! Why ask the question in the first place?

You are going to have to learn to deal with this kind of shit if you want to make it in naval aviation , which you have shown you can't hack quite yet.

Moral of the story for a new guy: ask lots of educated questions and otherwise speak when spoken to. Otherwise, STFU!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I know of a former Navy instructor pilot at VMFAT-101 who had the herps. He's out now but he contracted the herps after he was winged. He married the chick. Don't know about a dude trying to get selected though.

Some of you dudes need to quit being unprofessional douche bags. I've laughed my ass off at some of the off the wall, strange ass posts here over my 11 years on AW but majority of the time I've kept my trap shut and not responded. I totally get the ready room type banter and thick skin regrading sarcasm...but some of you Cones need to STFU if you have nothing to add other than to degrade somebody who wants to do what we do.

Tell me to fuck off, that's fine, but the douche baggery towards civilians coming from a professional group of warriors is unsat yet is becoming way too common here on AW.

Semper Fidelis

Pags

N/A
pilot
I know of a former Navy instructor pilot at VMFAT-101 who had the herps. He's out now but he contracted the herps after he was winged. He married the chick. Don't know about a dude trying to get selected though.

Some of you dudes need to quit being unprofessional douche bags. I've laughed my ass off at some of the off the wall, strange ass posts here over my 11 years on AW but majority of the time I've kept my trap shut and not responded. I totally get the ready room type banter and thick skin regrading sarcasm...but some of you Cones need to STFU if you have nothing to add other than to degrade somebody who wants to do what we do.

Tell me to fuck off, that's fine, but the douche baggery towards civilians coming from a professional group of warriors is unsat yet is becoming way too common here on AW.

Semper Fidelis
Concur with jarhead. Not every post by some kid off of the street is a chance for everyone to show how ready room hard they are. Is there some initiative involved in the accession process? Of course. But a lot of these folks did their search at google and came across AW. We can't expect every joe off the street to come on board hat in hand with a signed special request chit and search history to prove they've sufficiently done their leg work to merit an answer from a bunch of folks with an icon under their name. If some guy asked these questions at an airshow or on the street you wouldn't answer them with sarcasm and jibes. Lets save that for actual ready room members.

Bevo16

pilot
And here come the PC police.

Anyone that asks the original question should expect some level of humor directed directly at them AND be able to take it. This goes double for someone who thinks they have the sack (even with a little rash) to strap on an aircraft and fly into combat.

Navy doctors are well compensated in the form of special pays for their ability to keep a straight face when confronted with these issues. We recieve no such pay....so fuck off.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's at least keep this discussion civil amongst us, gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.