• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FRS's and Possible Duty Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Jarhead said:
maybe when you have more time in the fleet than you do in the training command you can call me & my beloved F/A-18C junior varsity :)

EODDave said:
Jarhead,

How much more fleet time do I need? I've been in the "fleet" since 1988. Retirement is just around the corner.
my bad, i didn't know you've been in the fleet flying fighters since 1988.

if, on the other hand, you enlisted in 1988 but have only been flying the SH for a few months now, which is what i suspect is the case here, then i stand by what i said ... you shouldn't be making blanket statements which include dudes who have a shitmore fleet time flying fighters than you do ... that is fine in the RAG amongst your bros, but some dudes in a real gun squadron might take it personally, kinda like you think you are all knowing since you are flying the SH instead of an old Hornet, when we all know up to this point that it's luck of the draw for Squids coming out of Advanced jets. if you call guys flying old hornets "JV", what do you call Prowlers & Viking's?

i have been in the Corps since 91, only been flying since '00, and i think i fly a better jet than a Harrier, but that, in my professional opinion, does not allow me to call those guys JV (unless it's to one of my Harrier bros & we are talking shit to each other). airframe aside, i have no doubt that there are pilots out there flying Harriers that are better at flying than i am. are they JV? or did they select at the wrong time coming out of advanced?

the SH is a better aircraft than the old hornets in that they are new, have better avionics than what is found in most old hornets (most avionics on Supers can be found in Lot 17 or greater C/D's, problem is most of the hornets in the fleet are < Lot 17), and few "improvements" that aren't found in the old hornet, better performance not being one of them ... in the end though, it comes down to the pilot, whether it's Strike or ACM/BFM, i'd wager my $$ on that "JV" 600 hr F/A-18C driver over that <100 hour SH driver ...

just my 2¢, take it for what it's worth

:)

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
jarhead said:
kinda like you think you are all knowing since you are flying the SH instead of an old Hornet, when we all know up to this point that it's luck of the draw for Squids coming out of Advanced jets. if you call guys flying old hornets "JV", what do you call Prowlers & Viking's?

They're taking bottom grade guys out of advanced and sending them SH. Why may you ask, cause a.) they could barely land at the boat, and b.) they (whoever the hell that is) doesn't want them to only be flying single seat. I got a friend who got sent Echo's, even though he wanted F's, because he had good grades and they had other folks that needed the extra help of a WSO. But I'm not saying that guys with good grades are being sent that way either.

I saw more competive grades for guys fighting over the few Charlie spots than E/F's.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Punk said:
I got a friend who got sent Echo's, even though he wanted F's, because he had good grades and they had other folks that needed the extra help of a WSO.

Now that's just crazy talk!! :D

Now I'm gonna stick up for Pappy here (even though he goes commando in his drysuit) and say that yes, "JV Hornet" and "Baby Hornet" are generally used lingo on the "squid" side of things, yes, even occassionally by Charlie drivers...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Question for ya guys, is there a seperate rag for single seat/two seat SH, or is it one rag?

If just one, then how does training with a WSO work out?

p.s. i meant frs

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
They're taking bottom grade guys out of advanced and sending them SH. Why may you ask, cause a.) they could barely land at the boat, and b.) they (whoever the hell that is) doesn't want them to only be flying single seat. I got a friend who got sent Echo's, even though he wanted F's, because he had good grades and they had other folks that needed the extra help of a WSO. But I'm not saying that guys with good grades are being sent that way either.

I saw more competive grades for guys fighting over the few Charlie spots than E/F's.
Is that why you got Prowlers? Needed the help of 3 ECMOs?

Anyway, can we all please get over ourselves? And another thing, can we please stop calling it the FRS? It's the RAG, people.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Punk said:

I'm fvcking confused...

Not to knock WSOs, not my intent at all, but if the guy is a shitty stick, how much can the NFO help him down???

But you're talking like there is a quality spread, if some guys who suck get F's and some who don't suck get them too (and E's and C's on either end too). No??

There are fewer C's to be had than Superbugs?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Jarhead,

Clarification. I'm not saying that since you fly a baby hornet that your flying skills are JV. JV is just a term we learned here by guys flying A's and C's since they came out to differentiate (sp?) the baby hornet and super hornet. Or we could call it the Legacy hornet but thats just gay. And I never said that I've been flying fighters since 88 just as you never clarified "fleet" time vs fleet flying time. Sorry if you dont like the JV term, but maybe one day you'll get to fly a real airplane. :eek: Doh!!! If you're low on gas some day give me a shout.

I'm sure everyone likes to hear all this pissin and moanin. :icon_boxi My Hornet is better than your Super Hornet. Just remember that she wasn't surprised, she was Shocked!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Next on the "Rag" topic.

All RP's at the Super Rags are taught as E guys. The single seat mentality is for manning issues, we are told. It's easier to teach all RP's as single seat guys. Then at the end of the Rag if they go F's then so be it. We are also told that guys going through the E/F side or C/D side can be interchanged after our first fleet tour. We are not locked in to just flying baby or Super's for the rest of our career.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
EODDave said:
JV is just a term we learned here by guys flying A's and C's since they came out to differentiate (sp?) the baby hornet and super hornet. Or we could call it the Legacy hornet but thats just gay.

You know how when you are sitting around with all of your gay friends at the gay bar you wouldn't say the word fagot, but when acting tough in the ready room you would. This is one of those times. WE DON'T CALL OURSELVES JV. Mabey those who are not with us anymore do, but we don't.:icon_glas

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
I'm fvcking confused...

Not to knock WSOs, not my intent at all, but if the guy is a shitty stick, how much can the NFO help him down???

But you're talking like there is a quality spread, if some guys who suck get F's and some who don't suck get them too (and E's and C's on either end too). No??

There are fewer C's to be had than Superbugs?

In two place aircraft like F-14, a junior pilot will get crewed with a senior RIO (WSO) who works with the pilot to get up to speed and is there for him/her. An experienced RIO, even without flight controls, knows the jet and can typically spot problems as they develop and coach the pilot through them. It works if pilot listens (most do after getting some help tanking or at the boat or in ACM).

I wouldn't use term "suck" in talking about relative position in grades out of flight school...Naval Aviators are all pretty decent pilots or they wouldn't be wearing wings of gold...and sometimes point spreads out of flight school to determine picks are in decimel places.

There are exponentially more C model Hornets than E/F versions (almost one per airwing vs 3 C or A+ versions as well as Marine squadrons of C and D models)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pilot_man said:
WE DON'T CALL OURSELVES JV. Mabey those who are not with us anymore do, but we don't.:icon_glas
Last time I checked, a nugget's opinion doesn't count for much, so factor that, shipmate. Plus, that was a horrible analogy. :D

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
heyjoe said:
I wouldn't use term "suck" in talking about relative position in grades out of flight school...Naval Aviators are all pretty decent pilots or they wouldn't be wearing wings of gold...and sometimes point spreads out of flight school to determine picks are in decimel places.
Yeah... that was kind of retarded of me, thanks for pointing it out. :)

And I get it on the senior WSO/RIO + nugget pairing.

As far as the number of C's, I was confused because Punk said guys were fighting over just a few slots, but I guess that just must be the selection spread right now, Needs of the Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.