• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FRS's and Possible Duty Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Hey all,

I have been trying to research where all the FRS's are for us, and the possible locations that we could be stationed. For us TS guys,there's two possible choices: Hornets or Prowlers. I should probably already know all this info, but I really have no idea what squadrons are where, and which RAG's are where. I could research a little harder and find out myself, but I'm sure some of you already have these memorized.

Where are the possible FRS's (and for the Hornet FRS's what model do they train in at what location), and what are our possible Duty Stations after the FRS? I couldn't find a website that lists all these possibilities...

Here's what I got so far...

NAS Lemoore, CA
VFA-122 FRS F/A-18 E/F
VFA-125 FRS F/A-18 ?(don't know which model)

NAS Oceana, VA
FRS F/A-18, but again don't know which squadrons are the FRS's, and what models.

NAS Whidbey Island, WA - Prowlers

Are all the Prowler squadrons stationed here? Which one is the FRS?

I'm probably a jackass for not knowing this stuff, but it's probably time to learn it....plus this will help others on the board that are illiterate like myself.

Thanks for the input

airwinger

pilot
At whidbey VAQ 129 is the RAG, navy guys stay here while Marines go to cherry point.

Viz hornets lets not forget nirvana/the rainbow/promised land 'phat 101' aka VMFAT 101 at MCAS Miramar sigh!! They have A-D models

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
To further help out, all the Navy Prowler squadrons are here except VAQ-136 which is based in Atsugi, Japan with CVW-5.

VFA-125 is purely a Legacy Hornet FRS (that would be the -C Model)

VFA-106 in Oceana is pulling double duty, they are the East FRS for both the -C models and the E/F models

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
I hear longer time to train there...more like 12 months...quicker at Lemoore to get through...more like 9-10 months..

petescheu

Yeah doing the VMFAT-101 thing will get you a good bit of time in San Diego, probably looking at a 12 month minimum, maybe more like a 15 month time to train there. Not that I'd be complaining about living in PB for 15 months, but that's just me.
Right now -125 is moving kids through in around 9 months (one of my friends who started at the same time I did who is down in 101 is probably half as far along as I am), Oceana is about the same. We have F/A-18 Bs, Cs, and Ds here, Lot 8 all the way up to Lot 16 I believe, although a lot of the Cs are Lot 11s. The Bs are a little ghetto but I guess you get used to it, and you don't have to fly in them that much.
So did they finally get rid of S-3s as a choice? They said they were going to do that long before I was winged, and there were kids still getting that slot long after I was winged. Didn't know if that was for real now finally..

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
shoo24 said:
So did they finally get rid of S-3s as a choice? They said they were going to do that long before I was winged, and there were kids still getting that slot long after I was winged. Didn't know if that was for real now finally..

Yep, the July '05 winging gave away the very last one. So sad to see that too. ;)

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Its all hornets for the navy guys here...for the next few months anyway...two prowler NFO retreads wanted to go back to their communities so they took the only navy prowler slots for K'rock until March or so...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
This is a little out of date, still has -101. I dont know about others.

frsorg_lrg.gif

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Great info!! Now, if you go to the West coast FRS, do you tend to get stationed on the West Coast, or is it still "Needs of the Navy"?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
brd2881 said:
Its all hornets for the navy guys here...for the next few months anyway...two prowler NFO retreads wanted to go back to their communities so they took the only navy prowler slots for K'rock until March or so...

Yep, I know those two.

smooth sailing for the rest of you K'rock guys

Chubby

D_mac05 said:
Great info!! Now, if you go to the West coast FRS, do you tend to get stationed on the West Coast, or is it still "Needs of the Navy"?
Pretty sure that you'll stay on the same coast that you go to the RAG at. One less move that the Navy has to pay for. That is of course unless they only have one RAG then you'll go to either coast.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:
Pretty sure that you'll stay on the same coast that you go to the RAG at. One less move that the Navy has to pay for. That is of course unless they only have one RAG then you'll go to either coast.

Wrong.

Since when does common sense come into play with military decision-making?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Punk said:
To further help out, all the Navy Prowler squadrons are here except VAQ-136 which is based in Atsugi, Japan with CVW-5.

Don't forget trusty rusty VAQ-209 at Andrews AFB...

Status
Not open for further replies.