• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FRS's and Possible Duty Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Anyway, can we all please get over ourselves? And another thing, can we please stop calling it the FRS? It's the RAG, people.

Brett

Ditto. If you want to call it the FRS, what are you going to call "CAG"? "CVW?" or "CAW?"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will there be a merge? Do we need a gun for A/A?

handjive said:
Evidently, we're still guilty. The upcoming JSF:

"The air force variant has an internally mounted gun. The Carrier and Marine variants can have an external gun pod fitted."

LINK

LM had a JSF presentation a while back here in K-rock. When they mentioned the lack of an internal gun, you could hear the audible moan from the old-salt sim instructors (former A4, F8, etc. pilots). One guy asked about how well this "pod" would stay calibrated following regular traps aboard ship. The LM guy just replied, "oh, it will work just fine." The instructor just laughed and sat down.

I've got to agree with A4s on this one. The more things change...

A4sforever and I took it off line (old folks online PM exchange) and agreed that a thread on this topic might be worthwhile as this thread seems to be a slugfest over names for Hornet variants. So stay in that fight if you must, but if you want to talk tactics and future of air combat, join us at: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188327#post188327

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
eddie said:
As far as the number of C's, I was confused because Punk said guys were fighting over just a few slots, but I guess that just must be the selection spread right now, Needs of the Navy.

I don't know how it has been since I left the rock, but for quite a few wingings, there were more SH slots than Legacy spots. Some guys really wanted to fly the Legacy over the Supers, so those spots became more competitive.

Brett327 said:
Is that why you got Prowlers? Needed the help of 3 ECMOs?

when you're able to take a navy jet out solo, you let me know, ok ;)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
EODDave said:
Sorry if you dont like the JV term, but maybe one day you'll get to fly a real airplane. :eek: Doh!!!
i'll be receiving social security before the Corps gets the JSF ... i flew for the "B team" at K-Rock and now i'm stuck flying a "JV" jet in the fleet, i guess i'm fucked

Mefesto said:
God please tell me all this banter dosen't carry over to the O-Club... whose up for dice?
nobody to banter with here in BFT, we all fly the same jet.

i can't imagine what the O-Clubs at Miramar, El Toro, Oceana were like back in the 1980's with A-4s, A-6s, F-4s, F-14s, & F/A-18s around at the same time ... i bet it made for some good drunken verbal brawls! i bet Hornet pilots in those days thought their shit didn't stink

S/F

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
jarhead said:
.....i can't imagine what the O-Clubs at Miramar, El Toro, Oceana were like .........with A-4s, A-6s, F-4s, F-14s, & F/A-18s around at the same time ... i bet it made for some good drunken verbal brawls! i bet Hornet pilots in those days thought their shit didn't stink

S/F
The clubs were GREAT .... especially in the 60's and 70's when we didn't have to worry about Hornet pilots and whatever was stinking on them ...... probably something on their boots ???

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, I'm just saying what I saw from the selecting classes. Alot of guys who got Super Hornets got great grades, some didn't get good grades. There was more competition over the few Legacy spots than Super spots, why, because there were more Super spots available. Because, guess, what, it has changed some in the last year. And heaven forbid some people wanted to fly the Charlie over the Super. That doesn't make them any lesser of a pilot, nor is a F pilot worse than an E. I didn't fucking say that. But as usual, everyone likes to only read what they want. SERGRAD is a completely different story. I was just pointing out that just because you're flying a SH doesn't make you ace of the bass. I'm not trying to shit on your community either. You guys got a much more involved RAG than we do.

But don't break your arm patting yourself on the back either.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I think that this thread has run its course. If anyone wants it reopened give me a shout. But for now..........Shazzammmm!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
I'm not sure exactly why you're so pissed off.
Well, I think I might...

UInavy said:
Bitter much?
Now you're on to something.

Punk is a classic case of "I deserve Hornets, but all I got was this lousy Prowler." Add a smidgen of "I know everything" syndrome and you've got what amounts to a big pain in the ass. All kidding aside, dude, you are going to get crushed unless you correct your attitude.

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
just to throw it out, as this engagement spirals outta control rapidly towards the deck ... nothing within this thread was taken personal by me, if i said something somebody took personal, well, grow some skin :) ... and i enjoyed the discussion with Dave

have a happy New Years fellas!

out right, reference, uh, uh, the bar!

S/F!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys are giving me yet ANOTHER present --- and for New Year's, yet ??? All this hate and discontent ... my, my. I am unworthy, but thank you anyway.....

Maybe what follows is intuitively obvious and I just missed everyone's appreciation of it --- but the way seats were assigned out of the TRACOM, historically, has been:

1. Needs of the Navy
2. Type A/C seats available
3. Your completion date --- timing, if you will
4. Your grades/overall class standing
5. Needs of the Navy

Oh, did I mention .... ??? Needs of the Navy ??? Has it ever been any different ??? Anything else was wishful thinking or rationalization(s) on the part of the disgruntled ... historically speaking, of course. :)

In my time period, many gents wanted to fly single-seat ---A-4s, A-7s .... as F-8's fighter squadrons were dying by this time and most, but not all, F-8's were relegated to the VFP community. Thus F-8's were not as high up on the STUDs "dream sheets" as they might have been otherwise. A-4 seats were diminished as well since 27C decks were being retired but most still wanted to fly the "Scooter". We had just trained in it and felt "comfortable" going to SE Asia with it --- plus, it was a real, no joke warplane -- we liked it. Many obviously wanted A-6's and F-4s as well --- but single seat still seemed to be the biggest draw. Perhaps the steely-eyed, intrepid, lone-wolf Aviator unencumbered by "anything/anyone" syndrome ... ???

So would it not make sense (historically speaking) that the "higher grades" --- competition and all that --- would gravitate toward the single seat community if more wanted to fly solo ??? No matter WHAT the total number of available seats ??? Vigies and Whales were a distant third .... and Prowlers were just coming on line in the RAG and the mission was still "suspect".

To follow the argument(s) in the above posts, if single seat was not available or was "restricted" would not the "competition" and grades pecking order then shift to the two seaters ??? Doesn't this analogy also apply to single/two seat F-18's ??? Sometimes it goes one way, sometimes it goes the other way ..... so what's all the fuss about ??? Who is better .... ??? Is THAT what this fuss is all about ... ???

One night at CUBI Pt. some of us were sitting around a late San Miguel and a CUBI-Dog at the BOQ bar complaining about almost everything in the Universe when this subject came up in passing. One gent, wiser than the rest, said: "I think everyone knows why he got what he got ..... " Everyone stared at their respective beers, took a last pull, muttered "good night" and departed.

The subject never came up again among that group of Aviators..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.