• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Friend in jail in Dubi

S.O.B.

pilot
Friend in jail in Dubai

A friend of the family (female) was arrested in Dubai, apparently for some type of public intoxication. She's been in jail now for 48 hours and they haven't heard from her. Does anyone have any insight into their legal system?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Do you mean Dubai, UAE? In the middle east?

I know a guy who got arrested there. NAVCENT had to personally come get his ass out of jail. They ended up trading a boat load of smuggled dates for his release (no shit....not an exaggeration) and he was tried in absentia at a later date.

He was sentenced to 5 years in prison (I think, .....thereabouts) but he'll never have to actually serve them as long as he stays out of their country.

He went to admirals mast and got shit all over.

Bottom line: don't fuck up and act a fool in other countries. Nothing good will happen.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alcohol and being female rarely works out well in the Arab world. UAE is about the most "liberal" of the public stoning crowd but this is not a good thing. The embassy needs to be involved yesterday.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Bottom line: don't fuck up and act a fool in other countries. Nothing good will happen.

don't make an ass outta yourself ANYWHERE! And watch out for your buddy, even if you don't like him/her - they still represent the NAVY.

S.O.B.

pilot
Do you mean Dubai, UAE? In the middle east?

I know a guy who got arrested there. NAVCENT had to personally come get his ass out of jail. They ended up trading a boat load of smuggled dates for his release (no shit....not an exaggeration) and he was tried in absentia at a later date.

He was sentenced to 5 years in prison (I think, .....thereabouts) but he'll never have to actually serve them as long as he stays out of their country.

He went to admirals mast and got shit all over.

Yes Dubai. That's not good. I don't know her very well but she has a history of getting hammered and becoming belligerent and totally out of control, plus she was in the airport. She's probably screwed.

snake020

Contributor
It still leaves me scratching my head that people actually go to the Middle East and behave as though they have the same protections they do in the first world. My unit in Qatar gave NJP to an E-5 for prothletizing -- he was on off-base liberty and handing out fake million dollar bills with Christian religious inscriptions. Bastard was lucky that we punished him and not the locals.

Bevo16

pilot
Is she in the military, or just a civilian?

Being female, white, and drunk in an Arab country is not smart.

S.O.B.

pilot
Is she in the military, or just a civilian?

Being female, white, and drunk in an Arab country is not smart.

She's civilian. I'm not sure if this occurred during Ramadon or not. I know it ended on the 30th.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I recently spent way more time in Dubai than I'd ever want to, and we were warned repeatedly that any interaction with the police while we have any alcohol in our system would likely end very badly. Being female won't help, but I think a dude in the same situation would be fairly screwed himself. I hope things work out for you friend.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
wow. i really don't want to go to the middle east. Why can't we have a fundamental issue with sweden or brazil, or anywhere with hot chicks and super liberal cultural mores?

why do we always fight in shitholes?

::warning:: not flying tomorrow=i've been drinking margaritas since 5. post claims to make no sense.