• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Free TurboTax Software

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Ok, so should I not be wearing khakis off base? Am I an idiot for doing so since commissioning? :~)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Off base:
Service khaki (ribbons on CNT or poly wool) = ok
Wash khaki (wings only) = not ok

About the only items I think that would qualify are wash khaki, insignia, BDUs (if paid for by the USN servicemember if your unit is one of those that wears them), and a sword. Yeah...pretty sure the sword would be frowned upon for tooling around the mall in uniform. Or for that matter visiting the IRS office in uniform w/ the sword. Or a bank... Or a liquor store... The list goes on...

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
The IRS website specifically addresses swords:

In addition, service members can deduct the cost of required items that do not replace regular clothing. Examples include insignia of rank, corps devices, epaulets, aiguillettes, and swords.

My interpretation would be that service khakis could still be deducted. Would you wear them in place of civilian clothes to go somewhere? You can easily state that you could wear SDBs or dress whites in place of a suit or a tux for a formal civilian event (weddings, Christmas parties, etc.). Where would you wear service khakis in place of civilian clothes?

(I don't know why I'm worried about this... we have no khaki expenses to deduct this year...)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Kathy said:
In addition, service members can deduct the cost of required items that do not replace regular clothing. Examples include insignia of rank, corps devices, epaulets, aiguillettes, and swords.

[/SIZE]

Sweet, looks like I'm gonna write off those shoulder boards! (seriously, you can't tell me things things are in the ballpark of 35-40 bucks)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Sweet, looks like I'm gonna write off those shoulder boards! (seriously, you can't tell me things things are in the ballpark of 35-40 bucks)
What are you going to do with the extra $4?

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Kathy said:
The IRS website specifically addresses swords:

My interpretation would be that service khakis could still be deducted. Would you wear them in place of civilian clothes to go somewhere? You can easily state that you could wear SDBs or dress whites in place of a suit or a tux for a formal civilian event (weddings, Christmas parties, etc.). Where would you wear service khakis in place of civilian clothes?

(I don't know why I'm worried about this... we have no khaki expenses to deduct this year...)
Because service khaki is considered an acceptable uniform for conducting offbase business. You wouldn't hang out at the arcade with the other cool kids in service khaki, although legally you can (right Steve?). :D Working khaki is a different blend of material that your hubby, being a P-3 guy, will probably never see.

Side note: looks like aviation working green would be a legal deduction though - it's not authorized for off-base personal business. :) Now how best to scare the hell out of the IRS when visiting their office to verify legality: deductible AWG, deductible sword, deductible fore-and-aft cap from the USS Constitution crew's uniform...

Coppertop222

sounds like a great offer, too bad no coastie can take advantage of it since onesouce doesn't include the coast guard...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Put it towards some collar devices :icon_wink

That'd take a whole lot of insignias to make it past your minimum standard deduction. :)

trvsmrtn

pilot
Make sure you get receipts for any contributions to charity, and if you don't make any, then start. I'm not talking about cash donations, I'm talking about taking old appliances, clothes, toys, etc and dropping them off at Goodwill. A friend told me about it. He dropped off a bunch of stuff after a yard sale and he was given a blank receipt. I made 2 trips to Goodwill with the bed of my truck full of stuff. When I asked for a receipt, the lady asked how much my stuff was worth. I told her that I didn't know and she replied, "Only you know how much your stuff is worth". I gave her a figure and from the look she gave me, I think she was hinting that I had lowballed myself, but nevertheless, that receipt came in real handy this year.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
THe wardroom dues is not the officer's club... wardroom dues are mandatory...O'clubs are not...therefore being tax deductable and part of the "mandatory fun"

Thanks for the clarification - that makes sense.

Are all of these items (uniforms, wardroom dues, mandatory fun, etc.) subject to the 2% limitation?

bennett4362

deployment sucks
trvsmrtn said:
Make sure you get receipts for any contributions to charity, and if you don't make any, then start. I'm not talking about cash donations, I'm talking about taking old appliances, clothes, toys, etc and dropping them off at Goodwill. A friend told me about it. He dropped off a bunch of stuff after a yard sale and he was given a blank receipt. I made 2 trips to Goodwill with the bed of my truck full of stuff. When I asked for a receipt, the lady asked how much my stuff was worth. I told her that I didn't know and she replied, "Only you know how much your stuff is worth". I gave her a figure and from the look she gave me, I think she was hinting that I had lowballed myself, but nevertheless, that receipt came in real handy this year.

the navy-marine corps relief society is a great place to donate stuff (ie in lieu of goodwill) and support your fellow sailors and marines; they give blank tax deductible receipts, as well.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Jesus...all I know is I don't care about the IRS...unless Kathy is working for them!!!!

phrogpilot73

Quick note for those that are just now getting their comissioning uniforms - You CAN'T deduct the cost of the following: Dress Blue Blouse, Trousers, White Shirt, White Trousers, Service Alpha Blouse, Trousers, Khaki Short Sleeve, Khaki Long Sleeve, Khaki Ties, Corframs, Covers, Rank Insignia, Ribbons, Badges, Collar Devices, and socks.

You CAN however, deduct the following: Cammies, Boots, Cammie Covers and Medals (if you have one anodized, they all have to be - may have to suck up the cost of the first one, gets kinda shady at that point), medal mounting services, tailoring, and sword.

Don't forget to add in off-duty education (get some money back from what TA and GI won't cover), CFC arm-twisting, Navy/Marine Corps Relief arm-twisting, Wardroom (or Officer) dues, per-head Mandatory fun parties, Marine Corps Ball Tickets, Vehicle Property Tax (as long as everyone in the state doesn't pay the same amount, and your tax is not based on the weight of the vehicle), Hotels during a PCS (USMC won't reimburse those, and those are deductible), and hands-free headset (required for on-base, and if you're on duty you must have a cell phone).

However, and most importantly - don't forget YOUR HOUSE, and if you don't have one - use the standard deduction. The pain of itemizing is not worth your time. Guess who just finished his taxes?!? I'm amazed that when it was all said and done, that my taxable income was $7800 (blame it on 7 months in Iraq), and my taxes were still $540. If I was LIVING on $7800, $540 would HURT! Luckily, I get back $2300 and some change (because I already gave them $2900)...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as donations. A receipt with a list of what you donated is all the IRS needs if audited. If it is a high ticket item, like a car donation, take pictures to keep in your tax folder for that year. You may need to justify the donation write off as FMV (fair market value) if asked.