• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Free TurboTax Software

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like TurboTax Online...not downloaded software or a free CD of SW.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bummer, was hoping it was the software. I did the online thing one year, and didn't get a backup of my file to import the next year. Just added one more step the process the next year. That's when I decided to just suck up the $20 and buy the CD.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Bummer, was hoping it was the software. I did the online thing one year, and didn't get a backup of my file to import the next year. Just added one more step the process the next year. That's when I decided to just suck up the $20 and buy the CD.
Yeah, TurboTax is the shiznit, especially if you have to do any depreciation on property which is a challenge to do manually. You can legally deduct the cost of the software as "tax preparation expenses," so you can recoup a little of the cost there.

Brett

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Other "legal" deductions taken by some people I know ;)

1) Professional Lunch Meeting at Applebees - Written off as "JOPA" Meeting
2) Workout clothing/shoes - Navy requires PT
3) Cell Phone bills - Helo bubbas on "Weekend duty" aren't issued cells but held to 3-hr recall alert

Any other hints out there? BTW, this is not tax-advice. Just something that I've seen other bubbas write off.

~D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChunksJR said:
Other "legal" deductions taken by some people I know ;)

1) Professional Lunch Meeting at Applebees - Written off as "JOPA" Meeting
2) Workout clothing/shoes - Navy requires PT
3) Cell Phone bills - Helo bubbas on "Weekend duty" aren't issued cells but held to 3-hr recall alert

Any other hints out there? BTW, this is not tax-advice. Just something that I've seen other bubbas write off.

~D
I'm no tax attorney, but I doubt if items 1-3 would hold up in an audit. For the miniscule amounts of money that those would get you back, it's probably not worth the chance of getting fined by the IRS. Deducting tax prep software is completely legit.

Brett

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
I specifically researched the cell phone "deduction" after some other JOs told my husband he could deduct it and the only way it's "legal" is if you determine the number of minutes used for business purposes are and pro-rate the total bill based on that percentage. I confirmed this with a CPA friend. Not worth the hassle, in my opinion.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know if you can deduct the cost of wardroom dues? I'm fairly certain you can

Sabre170

None
I plan on deducting the gas or miliage going back and forth from P'cola to Milton for IFS. That was forty days worth of back and forth, plus uniforms required, haircuts, and drycleaning. I don't think those should be bad.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
PropStop said:
Anyone know if you can deduct the cost of wardroom dues? I'm fairly certain you can

PropStop - No, I don't think you can. The IRS website has a little online course that you can take for military taxes and I found it in there. Here is the section that states:

However, members of the Armed Forces cannot deduct amounts paid to an officers' club or a noncommissioned officers' club.

Oddly enough, I remember from the IRS course that you can deduct ticket costs for "mandatory fun" type events - as long as not attending the event could potentially hurt your career (i.e., Navy Ball).

You also can only deduct the cost of uniforms if they are prohibited from being worn off base - so choker whites, SDBs, etc. are not tax deductible, but khakis would be. All insignia type things are tax deductible.

hump1909

technically thats not a business related expense, instead that's just "commuting" to the IRS which is not tax deductible. Furthermore if you were planning to try and deduct it against previously stated response, then you would have needed to log mileage on a day to day basis.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, people generally have an unrealistic view of what can and can not be deducted. Look at the IRS pubs - they're fairly specific and limited. Most of the work related stuff has the caveat that the expense must be a condition of employment, so "not looking good" with the front office doesn't pass the test. Also, unless you're itemizing (i.e. own a house), you can't deduct much of anything anyway.

Brett

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Kathy said:
You also can only deduct the cost of uniforms if they are prohibited from being worn off base - so choker whites, SDBs, etc. are not tax deductible, but khakis would be.

Did I miss something? You can't wear khakis off base?

~D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChunksJR said:

~D
Yeah, so basically that leaves flight suits and coveralls, which are free. :sleep_125

Brett

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
ChunksJR said:

~D

More specifically, it's if you would wear the uniform in place of civilian clothes when not on duty. From the IRS website:

Although members of the Armed Forces are required to wear uniforms when they are on duty, they are generally allowed to wear their uniforms in place of regular civilian clothing when they are off duty.

When military regulations prohibit off-duty wear of certain uniforms, then service members can deduct the cost and upkeep of those uniforms. However, service members must reduce the deductible expenses by any nontaxable uniform allowance or reimbursement they receive.