• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

France's Burqa ban goes into effect.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My point? Your rights stop when your fist reaches my nose.

Okay, now that we have that settled.......my point still remains that those who wear the niqab, abaya, burqa and other forms of the hijab have to abide by the same laws as everyone else does in the US. Banning those forms of dress probably wouldn't be productive and probably wouldn't pass constitutional muster either.

You are so goddamn PC I wonder how you put up with putting up with us neanderthals here. I also wonder how you can read the same reports I do and live in such a land of sunshine and unicorns.

I like slumming? And while there is plenty of sunshine where I live now there aren't many unicorns unfortunately.

Reactions: MPH

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Does it bother any of you that a significant percentage of the oil revenues we send to the Mideast end up being re-cycled to terrorists whom we then have to fight - running up the DOD budget as well as getting lots of servicemen killed?
Yes. But how do you fix that?

Your point? People masking their appearance and identity = a safety concern.

Thanks for proving my point though :)

-Charlie
You mean security concern (because the bank is protecting its assets)? Also, aren't most banks private entities that can pick and choose their customers? I understood your initial point, but your "proof" seemed unrelated at best. :)

edit: Still not sure about my original assertion as to whether or not that's why the banks do that. At least, I think that's why they do it now.

This is a French issue, not an American one. Definitely more aimed at France's 'secular identity' than anything else. I don't really care but I think it is France's call. Like Treetop said, foreigners don't have an inherent right to live in France- if they choose to move there they will need to adapt. I understand the French wanting the people who live in their country to abide by French laws and culture before religion. As for the safety thing, Sahibs are clumsy enough. A lady dropped out of my SCUBA class because she was floundering in her Muhammed-Friendly wetsuit before she even tried the snorkel.

MPH

Whether this is about being Anti-Muslim, anti-bank robber, or "multi-victim public shooter" is beside the point. ITS FRANCE!!!! Out of control PC-ism, anti-discrimination, and white guilt that hamstrings America does not apply. France can do whatever the hell it wants...

I think that everyone can agree that this particular article is a French issue. With that said, there is certainly a cause for concern here in the US with respect to the limits upon ones right to religious expression, particularly in the business world.

As a libertarian (in principal rather than party) I see the answer to this and almost every problem, in decreased government involvement and increased privatization. Specifically, that the root of the problem lies in laws and individuals that promote judgments such as "protected classes". When you shield a "class" of people you essentially segregate them from society. Separate but equal is still inherently unequal. I don't think you’re special because of your race, religion, age, sex, or sexual preference. And most people don't. We live in a capitalist country. If you won’t hire Joe Blow (pardon the pun in advance), the most talented candidate because he's gay, I will. Because I'm drawing from a larger and more diverse talent pool, I'm naturally advantaged.

Which is a long way of arriving at my point: If people don't want to hire… or serve… or transport burka wearing women, there’s a reason for it. And most likely it's not because the business doesn't like to take money from Muslims. So let the business do what it wants. The government exists to protect individual liberty, not religious ideology.

Unfortunately our, and western values as a whole, have become less about ensuring individual freedom than ensuring no one is offended. Our ability to appease will never exceed our capability to offend those that trying their hardest to be offended.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

Easy. Drill here, drill now. In Alaska, the west coast, the Fla coast, the east coast and for Rocky Mtn Shale. In 10-15 years, if wind & solar are commercially viable, switch to them & phase-out of oil. Doing this would add 500,000 jobs in America in the 1st 5 years.
Oil prices at the pump have doubled under this president, and he has done everything he can to kill off the american oil & coal industries - just as he promised.

IRfly

None

Easy. Drill here, drill now. In Alaska, the west coast, the Fla coast, the east coast and for Rocky Mtn Shale. In 10-15 years, if wind & solar are commercially viable switch to them & phase-out of oil. Doing this would add 500,000 jobs in America in the 1st 5 years.
Oil prices at the pump have doubled under this president, and he has done everything he can to kill off the american oil & coal industries - just as he promised.

Patently ridiculous, and you diminish yourself by allowing Michelle Bachmann to do your thinking for you. Remember the summer of 2008 and what gas prices looked like? The face that Bush's policies led to a catastrophic economic collapse and therefore lower gas prices just before inauguration hardly lend support to your argument.

Fog

None
Contributor
Life is a series of choices. I trust Charles Krauthammer, John Boehner and Michelle Bachmann more than I trust Barack Obama, Harry Reid & Nancy Pelosi.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Life is a series of choices. I trust Charles Krauthammer, John Boehner and Michelle Bachmann more than I trust Barack Obama, Harry Reid & Nancy Pelosi.
I trust myself more than I trust any of 'em ... :)

I trust my dog more than most politicos ...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Amen, Amen to that! POTUS groupies remind me of the old "None are so blind as those, who will not see". I hope they wake up before it's too late..sigh.:indiffere
BzB:icon_cat:

IRfly

None
Here on the sidetrack...

First, apologies for the somewhat disrespectful tone in my previous post.

I was alive for the time period covering 2001-2009 and have not misplaced my memories of gas prices, or the crashing dollar, or skyrocketing deficits. These things are not a matter of ideology or political preference. Here's a link for those interested:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_history.html

Michelle Bachmann is the first I had heard to advance the tagline about the doubling gas prices. Such blatant dishonesty is unbecoming of one who occupies a position of public trust, no matter their political affiliations.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Me too.

At least when mine shits on the rug, he doesn't lie to me and tell me it's hope and change.
Careful, that little pile was left by your previous dog - I think your dog is trying to actually clean up the mess, and you are blaming him for it. :)

Here on the sidetrack...

First, apologies for the somewhat disrespectful tone in my previous post.

I was alive for the time period covering 2001-2009 and have not misplaced my memories of gas prices, or the crashing dollar, or skyrocketing deficits. These things are not a matter of ideology or political preference. Here's a link for those interested:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_history.html

Michelle Bachmann is the first I had heard to advance the tagline about the doubling gas prices. Such blatant dishonesty is unbecoming of one who occupies a position of public trust, no matter their political affiliations.
Like a lot of (most?) women, I find her equal parts hot & absolutely bonkers. I say that in the most respectful way possible.

I'm guessing this tagline is being pushed hard on Fox News...

Fog

None
Contributor
FWIW, Herc Driver's DOE website above shows that the average U.S. price of unleaded regular gasoline for the week ending Jan 26, 2009 was $1.813/gal. That same price for the week ending April 11, 2011 was $3.743, an increase of 106.45%. My god, gasoline prices at the pump have doubled since the Glorious Leader became president! This must be a FoxNews & Tea Party conspiracy! Tell me, how many people engaged in legal activities do you know whose household incomes have doubled since Jan 2009? I maintain that this president wants to kill the US gas & coal industries. His words and actions reflect the same. I would hope to be proven wrong.