• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

France's Burqa ban goes into effect.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Careful, that little pile was left by your previous dog - I think your dog is trying to actually clean up the mess, and you are blaming him for it. :)

Like a lot of (most?) women, I find her equal parts hot & absolutely bonkers. I say that in the most respectful way possible.

I'm guessing this tagline is being pushed hard on Fox News...

Post #57 germane! Statute of Limitations on blaming GWB, has long expired. Ya need a new excuse... :slug_125:
BzB

IRfly

None
FWIW, Herc Driver's DOE website above shows that the average U.S. price of unleaded regular gasoline for the week ending Jan 26, 2009 was $1.813/gal. That same price for the week ending April 11, 2011 was $3.743, an increase of 106.45%. My god, gasoline prices at the pump have doubled since the Glorious Leader became president! This must be a FoxNews & Tea Party conspiracy! Tell me, how many people engaged in legal activities do you know whose household incomes have doubled since Jan 2009? I maintain that this president wants to kill the US gas & coal industries. His words and actions reflect the same. I would hope to be proven wrong.

Unreal. Completely unreal.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
FWIW, Herc Driver's DOE website above shows that the average U.S. price of unleaded regular gasoline for the week ending Jan 26, 2009 was $1.813/gal. That same price for the week ending April 11, 2011 was $3.743, an increase of 106.45%. My god, gasoline prices at the pump have doubled since the Glorious Leader became president! This must be a FoxNews & Tea Party conspiracy! Tell me, how many people engaged in legal activities do you know whose household incomes have doubled since Jan 2009? I maintain that this president wants to kill the US gas & coal industries. His words and actions reflect the same. I would hope to be proven wrong.
Not mine, Fog. All of my links go to either the New York Times or the Huffington Post. ;)

Post #57 germane! Statute of Limitations on blaming GWB, has long expired. Ya need a new excuse... :slug_125:
BzB
Patience, sir. The economy has greatly improved since he took office, and should continue to do so.

As for the original post regarding the ban-would folks be alright with something that didn't cover the face and only the hair?

SkywardET

Contrarian
I know what you are getting at, but IIRC, the vast majority of Alaskan production (for instance) ends up in the far East. This isn't like corn where we can dial it up and down completely at a whim domestically.
I understand what you are saying, but, from a price perspective, it doesn't exactly matter where the oil ends up ultimately. Most oil in the world ends up in Asia and will for an indefinite amount of time. However, the commodity aspect of oil implies that it doesn't matter so much where the oil comes from or where it goes, but rather the ultimate supply versus demand ratio is what is most important. Developing American sources of oil will certainly impact supply positively and there will indeed be lower transportation costs (which are already very minimal), but strategically speaking it is quite advantageous to have untapped strategic resources within your borders while exploiting the strategic resources of foreign countries.

fog said:
Dear Sky:
I wasn't serious and hope you didn't think I was. If you believe what you wrote about the long-term strategic wisdom of buying our oil from the Mideast, then get your butt into the Army or USMC and get to Afghanistan and help finish the fight. But since no one else (even the Afghans) has been able to unify that country in more than 1,000 years, you might wanna take a box-lunch or two w/ you.
It's hard to tell when anyone is serious on a forum, especially when they say "JMHO" and have no smilies. I have no plans to transfer into the Army or USMC and do not feel I will need to in order to "put my beliefs into action" if you will. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will go to flight school and try this Naval Aviation gig that I hear so much about.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Yes at $2.00/bbl. but at $110/bbl. it breaks our bank.

I have no plans to transfer into the Army or USMC and do not feel I will need to in order to "put my beliefs into action" if you will. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will go to flight school and try this Naval Aviation gig that I hear so much about.

With that stirring resolve in your belly, I hope you never have to punch-out over indian (metaphorically-speaking) territory.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

With that stirring resolve in your belly, I hope you never have to punch-out over indian (metaphorically-speaking) territory.

How is somebody going into Naval Aviation suddenly not good enough of service to his country?

And on a side note there is more than enough blame for both political parties here for both the economy and foreign policy.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Let me apologize to ET. I should not have questioned his "resolve". His going into naval air should be enough in its own right, and I was wrong to question his underlying motivations. I am now retired and part, I guess, of that 61% who think the country's headed in the wrong direction these days. Right or wrong on that point, there's no good reason to question those who disagree w/ me.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uh uh...

Patience, sir. The economy has greatly improved since he took office, and should continue to do so.

Please elaborate, I fail to see by what measure of the state of the economy you could possibly use, to make that erroneous statement.:watching3

Ask the next 10 citizens you see at random, and see how may of them agree with your statment!:idea_125:
BzB, being patient

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please elaborate, I fail to see by what measure of the state of the economy you could possibly use, to make that erroneous statement.:watching3

Ask the next 10 citizens you see at random, and see how may of them agree with your statment!:idea_125:
BzB, being patient

How about we ask 10 economists instead. There's no doubt that the economy is growing more and in a generally improved state now than it was in 2 years ago - That's a demonstrable fact. Personally, I believe that has very little to do with any one president or the policies of the Executive branch. That said, you can't claim the opposite just because the guy in office isn't to your particular liking.

Brett

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about we ask 10 economists instead.

Economics...a totally inexact science. I'd much sooner value the average Joe's opinion on the present state of the economy, compared to two years ago. That's my prerogative.

I have to disagree that the President or his Administration's policies have little/no effect on our economy, simply your opinion.

Whom I like/dislike has no relevance in this discussion.
BzB

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator

BzB, being patient
BzB, I had a link in my earlier post with some indicators (the hyperlink was associated with the words "has greatly improved"); click that and you'll see indicators (increased job growth, economy growing, S&P up 50%, we were in a recession, now we aren't, etc.)

As asked before; are we OK with religious clothing that covers everything BUT the face?

sister-act-2-back-in-the-habit-original.jpg

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Hercdriver, perhaps the French simply think that burqa's are not compatible with their culture. If they want to ban them then why shouldn't they? Why should foreigners expect a strange country to accommodate them?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd much sooner value the average Joe's opinion on the present state of the economy, compared to two years ago.
So you're suggesting that the anecdotal experiences of 10 laymen lend superior insight into the economy than 10 PhDs whose job it is to study such things. Roger.

At any rate, there's really not much room for debate. The economy, by every conventional yardstick, is in significantly better shape now than two years ago. That's a fact. Now, we're nowhere near the unprecedented levels of growth experienced during the Clinton years, but that's a lot to ask for.

Brett

SkywardET

Contrarian
At any rate, there's really not much room for debate. The economy, by every conventional yardstick, is in significantly better shape now than two years ago. That's a fact. Now, we're nowhere near the unprecedented levels of growth experienced during the Clinton years, but that's a lot to ask for.

Brett
The metrics used to measure the economy show that it is in an improved state since two years ago, that is true. However, I would not put much weight into those metrics nor into those "10 PhDs whose job it is to study such things" given the track records of each. A certain few economic PhDs, yes I would listen to, but absolutely not a random set of 10 economists. "Surprise" housing bubble, anyone? I wonder what the next "surprise" or "perfect storm" of bad economic conditions will be, and for that I turn to economists with demonstrable success in economic analysis, not those who have simply a PhD and talk Keynesianism all day.

Of course, there is also the matter of how the statistics are counted and how the metrics are used. Here's a good test to see if the CPI metric is any good: do you feel that the rate of "inflation" is high or low/negative?