• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

France's Burqa ban goes into effect.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
Unlikely to happen in Britain. They have completely embraced multiculturalism where as France has founded its modern society on secularism.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As people have already said, it's France and they can do whatever they want. It wouldn't happen in the US for several reasons, first and foremost there is the First Amendment and then.......well, that is all that is really needed to squash any bright idea like that.

I am not sure how anyone would think this would help with radicalism or even terrorism, most terrorists don't make it that easy for us to pick them out. It strikes me that France is more concerned about preserving it's super-awesome 'culture' as well as the ruling party's nod towards domestic politics than trying to combat any sort of radicalism anyways. Ironic or not the threat that keeps cropping up for us is young guys who aren't outwardly observant, hanging out at strip clubs and getting drunk in their spare time.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Flash hit the nail on the head. This isn't about pissing off muslims or stopping terrorism This is more about the fact that women wearing Burqa's are not embracing the Cheese/Wine/Surrendering aspect of being French. French culture is paramount.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
As people have already said, it's France and they can do whatever they want. It wouldn't happen in the US for several reasons, first and foremost there is the First Amendment and then.......well, that is all that is really needed to squash any bright idea like that.

Freedom of religion stops at your rights endangering my safety. If your religious garb inhibits your ability to see and drive a vehicle or the ability for you to prove that it is in fact you as a licensed driver when stopped for doing 100 through a school zone then so sad, no drivers license for you. Same IMO for ID before you get on an airplane. If you're a BMO and there's no way to verify it's your face on an ID card then too bad - no fly.

Wave rights all you want but don't think you get to go do whatever the hell you want.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'd say use up every other nation's natural resources before our own, at least from a Malthusian perspective.

I know what you are getting at, but IIRC, the vast majority of Alaskan production (for instance) ends up in the far East. This isn't like corn where we can dial it up and down completely at a whim domestically.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I know what you are getting at, but IIRC, the vast majority of Alaskan production (for instance) ends up in the far East. This isn't like corn where we can dial it up and down completely at a whim domestically.

Does it bother any of you that a significant percentage of the oil revenues we send to the Mideast end up being re-cycled to terrorists whom we then have to fight - running up the DOD budget as well as getting lots of servicemen killed?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oil is a commodity that is bought and sold on an international market. The notion that we go directly at any particular nation and buy "their" oil is nonsensical. The vast majority of our oil imports come from Canada, not because we go to Canada and say, "Hey, we'd like to buy your oil." It's a function of proximity and ease of transport.

Brett

Fog

None
Contributor
Oil is a commodity that is bought and sold on an international market. The notion that we go directly at any particular nation and buy "their" oil is nonsensical. The vast majority of our oil imports come from Canada, not because we go to Canada and say, "Hey, we'd like to buy your oil." It's a function of proximity and ease of transport.

Brett

Based on published trade figures, the USA spends more than $15bn/yr importing crude oil from Saudi Arabia alone. Given that some elements of their (very large) royal family are Wahabi fundamentalists, it is very likely that our own dollars are the largest single source of funding for Hezbollah, Hamas, Al-Qaeda & other Mideast terror groups. Canada is the largest single source of US oil imports (17%), but the Mideast (and Nigeria, an african nation) as crude exporters to the U.S. are the geopolitical area that sell us the most crude. God only knows how much of our own money finances the folks trying desparately to kill us and the Israelis.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
uscrude2009.png

Or ... imports alone for the same period:

worldpie1.gif

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Does it bother any of you that a significant percentage of the oil revenues we send to the Mideast end up being re-cycled to terrorists whom we then have to fight - running up the DOD budget as well as getting lots of servicemen killed?

Sure it bothers me.

I'm not sure it would bother me less if somebody else bought it in my absence, given the end-state is largely the same.

And we cannot out-produce them to marginalize them, not if we "rig off every beach" tried (which by the way, I think would be great anyways). Believe me, at these prices, and with Chesapeake and friends trying to frac themselves and everybody else out of the gas business, I try every day, all day.

Show me a middle path and I'll try that too, but the only alternative (no pun intended) to the predicament, seems to me, to be to quit the stuff altogether.

But I've been wrong before.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Freedom of religion stops at your rights endangering my safety. If your religious garb inhibits your ability to see and drive a vehicle or the ability for you to prove that it is in fact you as a licensed driver when stopped for doing 100 through a school zone then so sad, no drivers license for you. Same IMO for ID before you get on an airplane. If you're a BMO and there's no way to verify it's your face on an ID card then too bad - no fly.

Wave rights all you want but don't think you get to go do whatever the hell you want.

Okay, what's your point? Like any religion those who adhere to it have to follow the law of the land to include airport screenings (contrary to rumors on the internets) and ID photos (only hair covered, not face).

And you would be wrong, by law the oil production from Alaska has to go to the US by law and in practice now.

Fog

None
Contributor
And you would be wrong, by law the oil production from Alaska has to go to the US by law and in practice now.

Flash is right on here. All Alaska oil [now] goes only to the USA by law. Back in the 70's when Prudhoe Bay first came on-line, a lot of it went to Japan. No mas.
All Alaska oil now comes to the USA and it will remain so if we can drill in ANWR and Bristol Bay (shallow wells in 100' deep water - a geological no-brainer).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Okay, what's your point? Like any religion those who adhere to it have to follow the law of the land to include airport screenings (contrary to rumors on the internets) and ID photos (only hair covered, not face).

My point? Your rights stop when your fist reaches my nose.

You are so goddamn PC I wonder how you put up with putting up with us neanderthals here. I also wonder how you can read the same reports I do and live in such a land of sunshine and unicorns.