• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forum Upgrade: Changes Explained

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds as if your ISP is using a proxy server, and caching the web pages.

"PC Load letter? WTF does THAT mean?"

Come on man, ISP? Proxy? Caching? You KNOW I'm a dumbass.

(looks like things are working now. I have no clue how)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"PC Load letter? WTF does THAT mean?"

Come on man, ISP? Proxy? Caching? You KNOW I'm a dumbass.

(looks like things are working now. I have no clue how)

A trick some ISPs run to decrease bandwidth and speed up their network. Basically it sucks for website that change or update their data (such as forums/news sites). So, it might have been feeding you the last page you viewed (url, or that ANYONE viewed on that ISP), and not sending a request to the airwarriors webserver.

PROXY CACHE (pro´ksē cash) (n.) Also referred to as a Web proxy cache, a function of a proxy server that caches retrieved Web pages on the server's hard disk so that the page can be quickly retrieved by the same or a different user the next time that page is requested. The proxy cache eases bandwidth requirements and reduces delays that are inherent in a heavily trafficked, Internet-connected network. Because the page is stored locally on the proxy server, the page is delivered to the next request at local network speeds. The proxy cache also is advantageous when browsing multiple pages of the same Web site. The proxy cache also stores all of the images and sub-files for the visited pages, so if the user jumps to a new page within the same site that uses, for example, the same images, the proxy cache has them already stored and can load them into the user's browser quicker than having to retrieve them from the Web site server's remote site.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Ads

Is there a reason the adds appear after the first post now? Is there a way to move them?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Is there a reason the adds appear after the first post now? Is there a way to move them?
I've noticed they've started appearing randomly between multiple posts in a thread.
Well running this thing does cost money. Web-san used to have a paypal link for the astute on the home page (although I never heard him ask for anyone to use it). If the price of having this website is a few ads lurking between posts, so what? It's a very minor annoyance for having such a great FREE site.

(Better yet, why not PM the Webmaster, ask for a link to paypal and throw him a buck or two?)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of, it seems he did away with the "Contributor" tags.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
Well running this thing does cost money. Web-san used to have a paypal link for the astute on the home page (although I never heard him ask for anyone to use it). If the price of having this website is a few ads lurking between posts, so what? It's a very minor annoyance for having such a great FREE site.

(Better yet, why not PM the Webmaster, ask for a link to paypal and throw him a buck or two?)

i wasn't complaining! just following up danmav's observation with one of my own. they don't bother me at all. i'm good at ignoring things :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hal and all thanks for the support.

Yes, I added advertising back to the site yesterday. For quite awhile I took it down while I was upgrading and editing the website. Still trying to decide where I want to put, and keep the ads at, I am trying NOT to make them intrusive, or slow the website down.

FYSA, this site has over a million page views and growing. Machine is kind enough to have us on one of his high end servers (waaayy more than I could ever afford if he charged me street value for it), and optimizes it to keep this site going.

For those that care to contribute (via Paypal), and don't want to see the ads, you can go to your user control panel, and choose Paid Subscriptions. This will give you a variety of donations amounts, starting at $10. When you donate, it will add you to a usergroup that removes the ads (from 1 month to a year) and marks you as a contributor.

For all those that donated before, I will add you in later tonight or tomorrow. If I forgot you, please PM me. I lost the data in the last forum upgrade :(

Also, since I have never used this feature (subscription) of the forum before, there might be some bugs in the implementation (ie, does it immediately add you to the usergroup, or do it during the nightly maintenance update?).

John

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Script updated... for those that donated before, I added all of you back in, you should have "Contributor" beneath your name... if I forgot anyone, please shoot me a PM.

Also, those of you who contributed/donated, you should NOT be seeing any ads on the forum. Please PM me if you are!! Think I fixed it (famous last words).

John

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks... the way they are now aren't very obtrusive at all, and if that's whats going to keep the site free, then so be it!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see how it is, my money's not good enough for your "contributor" title.