• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forum Upgrade: Changes Explained

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, I am still learning all the changes this new software has, but as I go through, and "turn" some options on, I will do my best to explain them here, and edit this post.

If you have any questions on the new features, ask them here.

John

How threads and forums are marked as read.
THE OLD WAY: Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.
NOW: Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. Forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

15 Most Recent Searches
REINSTALLED. If you got to full search (advanced) search, you will be able to see the last (up to) 15 searches made. http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/search.php

Chat
INSTALLED. Using a program called FLASHCHAT, it uses your membership to the forum to allow you to login, hopefully you won't have to login. If you aren't logged in, you can't access. Also, at the top navigation tool bar, there is a chat link, and the chat (X) telling how many members are currently chatting. This for now will only work on the main forum home page that lists all the forums. You can also see at the bottom of the main forum page those currently in chat (usernames). http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/chat/flashchat.php

Login/Welcome Block
REINSTALLED. Add the mod that to the top right login/welcome block that tells you how many new posts and/or reputation comments.

Gallery
REINSTALLED. Updated the newest Photopost gallery software, and reinstalled the link to the website. http://www.airwarriors.com/gallery/

Homepage
IN PROGRESS. Latest mod version installed, still configuring. You can see it here: http://www.airwarriors.com/cmps_index.php

Latest Reputation Given
REINSTALLED. Via your user control panel, you can view the reputation that you have given. http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/usercp.php

Bump Threads/Make Threads Older
INSTALLED. For Mods/Super Mods/Admins, can now "bump" threads via the thread tools drop down box.

Reported Post Makes New Thread
REINSTALLED. For Mods/Super Mods/Admins, reinstalled the automatic posting of reported posts to the moderator sub forum: Reported Posts.

Members Who Have Visited the Forum
REINSTALLED. On the main forum home page, bottom, shows all the members who have visited in the last 24 hours, viewable by Mods/Super Mods/Admins.

Quick Links (Post Searching)
REINSTALLED. On the QUICK LINKs drop down menu on the navigation bar, I readded the following search options:
  • Today's Posts: Posts within the last 24 hours.
  • New Posts: Updated posts since your last visiit, view desciption above (under how forums are tracked and read).
  • Your Posts: All posts/threads that you have made.
  • Last 2 Days: Posts within the last 2 days.
  • Last 3 Days: Posts within the last 3 days.
  • Last 4 Days: Posts within the last 4 days.
  • Last 5 Days: Posts within the last 5 days.
  • Mark Forums Read (already there): Clears the database of posts/threads that are still outstanding for you to read.
Link Back to Oringal Post from Quote
INSTALLED. When you quote a post, there will be an arrow link inside the post that will link back to the original post.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Will the option to see how many posts have happened since I've last been on available? I liked that.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dan, yeah, that is on the list to add back today hopefully.

John

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is one of the changes a plethora of retarded threads?
Yeah yeah, I know...if you don't want to read it, don't click on it.

edit: I'm mean.

edit 2: wow, the new 'edit' function is pretty good

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Is one of the changes a plethora of retarded threads?
Yeah yeah, I know...if you don't want to read it, don't click on it.

edit: I'm mean.

edit 2: wow, the new 'edit' function is pretty good
Well... since you are on leave, we have noticed a DECREASE in the plethora of retarded threads... but, I digres...

Yeah, I agree, that the edit feature is alot better.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
New edit is awesome but for some reason my smileys are all messed up...here they are if I click on all of them in order from left to right and then down...

:) :icon_mi_1 :p :sleep_125 ;) :D

The first is good...2nd is not...3rd is ok...rest are ok...out of those 6

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
so why can't I change my quote?

it shows up in USER CP, but my old one still shows in my posts?

bennett4362

deployment sucks
there used to be a link in the top row (i think it was called "members") where you could see an alphabetical list of everyone's screenname; is that option still available somewhere?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, no one ever accused me of being "computer savvy", I'm not what you call "smart", I don't wash the area "between my leg and my crotch". (rep points to the first post to recognize that line)

When I hit "new posts", the new posts come up. Great right? Sort of. When I hit the thread title, it doesn't give me the updated thread with the latest post, it usually displays the thread from a few hours back. I have to click on the name of the last member to post in the thread, go to "find all posts by" for that person, and then locate the thread in question in their list of posts.

I'm sure this has to do with "cookies" or "caches" or some other concept beyond my pea brain. Any ideas?

twidget

Deskaholic
Ok, no one ever accused me of being "computer savvy", I'm not what you call "smart", I don't wash the area "between my leg and my crotch". (rep points to the first post to recognize that line)

Gotta be Farley from SNL doing the quote-heavy commentary on Weekend Update. Right?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
To paraphrase Sandler during the pickle race in Billy Madison, "You are the Winner."

I should have specified the first person to have some input on the problem at hand AND know the quote, my mistake.

twidget

Deskaholic
To paraphrase Sandler during the pickle race in Billy Madison, "You are the Winner."

I should have specified the first person to have some input on the problem at hand AND know the quote, my mistake.

OK, sorry. Guess I should have said "Yeah, it probably has something to do with cookies or caches...and it's Farley from SNL":)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

When I hit "new posts", the new posts come up. Great right? Sort of. When I hit the thread title, it doesn't give me the updated thread with the latest post, it usually displays the thread from a few hours back. I have to click on the name of the last member to post in the thread, go to "find all posts by" for that person, and then locate the thread in question in their list of posts.

I'm sure this has to do with "cookies" or "caches" or some other concept beyond my pea brain. Any ideas?
Sounds as if your ISP is using a proxy server, and caching the web pages.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quick Links -> Today's Posts

roughly the same result as the older (better) View New Posts option but with more old stuff.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Why when I make a reply (quick or advanced) it fails to show up in "new posts" since I've last visited?