• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreign exchange pilots on USN Aircraft Carriers

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Do you mean down there in Australia or over there in UK?

Either/or. I would love to go and live somewhere else for a while sometime in the future, and by somewhere else I dont mean on a US base working for the US. I would like to do an exchange and see how other countries do things.

I would probably try to go to Australia if I had a choice in the matter, but I would go to Germany, UK, or somewhere else if that was the only thing open.

EDIT: Also I had it in my mind Pags buddy went to Australia not UK. I guess I meant over there.

Zissou

Banned
Slight Threadjack (yet related

In 2001 CPO Steve Bass was on exchange with the Royal Marine Special Boat Service and was nominated for the Victoria's Cross, after some delay the US Navy awarded him the Navy Cross. Unique in that he was officialy serving outside the US Navy at the time. I've heard more than a few political takes on his not recieving an award from the UK. Though his CoC in the Royal Marines made public statements to the affect of being embarassed that an American's actions while serving with the Royal Marines went unrewarded.

His citation reads like an MOH award from any war prior to the current conflict. http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/08_WOT/nc_bass.html The unnamed American he located was CIA Officer Mike Spann.

Sorry for the thread jack.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that something that you need to work out with the detailer when it comes time to start looking at shore tours?

You tell whoever you deal with regarding shore tour options. For some communities, that's the detailer, for some you go through your front office. If you're interested, let them know.

Do you know if your buddy spent his full 3 or so year shore tour down there or was it a shorter time?

Every aviation PEP tour I've seen, including my own, was 3 years.

Also how does this affect advancement?

Advance as in rank? It shouldn't affect you at all.

Advance as in career? Depends on the community. Depends on your year group. Ranges from a definite plus to no-question career ender.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slight Threadjack (yet related

In 2001 CPO Steve Bass was on exchange with the Royal Marine Special Boat Service and was nominated for the Victoria's Cross, after some delay the US Navy awarded him the Navy Cross. Unique in that he was officialy serving outside the US Navy at the time. I've heard more than a few political takes on his not recieving an award from the UK. Though his CoC in the Royal Marines made public statements to the affect of being embarassed that an American's actions while serving with the Royal Marines went unrewarded.

His citation reads like an MOH award from any war prior to the current conflict. http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/08_WOT/nc_bass.html The unnamed American he located was CIA Officer Mike Spann.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Indeed poor form for the masters of civility not to recognize him. Maybe if he rescued a Brit? At any rate, good on US navy for ensuring recognition was bestowed.

Note: correct spelling for award is Victoria Cross (with no apostrophe/s). Cool factoid is original VC or (Vic) was made from melted bronze from cannons captured during Crimean War.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool factoid is original VC or (Vic) was made from melted bronze from cannons captured during Crimean War.

The VC's have all been made from the breeches of two cannons captured from the Russians in the Crimean War, as HeyJoe said, but apparently were of 'Chinese' origin. There is only enough metal left for about 80 medals. The Commonwealth VC's (Canada, Australia and New Zealand) are made from teh same metal, partially in Canada's case.

VC Description

VC Manufacture

Canadian VC

Australian VC

New Zealand VC

//End Threadjack

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't forget the exchange tours to other armed forces' service schools. The Marine Corps has had exchanges with the command and staff (major's level) schools in Australia, Japan, Brazil, France, and Norway (interestingly enough, that one was for logistics officers only, with a payback tour stocking the weapons stashed in Norwegian caves--I think that's gone away, though--no more guarding NATO's northern flank against the Rooskies). Those tours are a little less interesting than flying tours, but are only for a year, and are by monitor, vice board selection.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Don't forget the exchange tours to other armed forces' service schools. The Marine Corps has had exchanges with the command and staff (major's level) schools in Australia, Japan, Brazil, France, and Norway (interestingly enough, that one was for logistics officers only, with a payback tour stocking the weapons stashed in Norwegian caves--I think that's gone away, though--no more guarding NATO's northern flank against the Rooskies). Those tours are a little less interesting than flying tours, but are only for a year, and are by monitor, vice board selection.

Not so much.

The Australian Command and Staff gig was open the year I was up for orders and "timing fit". It was also specified that it had to be a fixed wing guy that year. I talked to the monitor about it and found out that you have to throw your hat in the big "I want to go to Command and Staff" ring, and then list that exchange as your top choice.

If you get picked by the board for any of the schools, then you are going. Period, dot. Say hello to Newport or Quantico, in other words.

It also had a two year follow on gig down under (non-flying)to follow, which I would have loved to have done. I ended up not putting in for it after I had done even more research and found out that (in this case) the monitor was telling the truth.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I should have thought a little longer before writing. By monitor, I pretty much meant that you throw your preferences in with him. ALL intermediate level schools are by board selection, so they're in the same hat as the regular USMC, USN, USAF, and USA command and staff. I know not all of them have paybacks, but the ones that do aren't all advertised. I didn't know the Aussie C&S had a payback, and I looked at all the stuff on the MMOA website about the exchange C&Ss.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Spanish Air Force EF-18 Vid

Thought this might be the best place for this link.

From Lex's place, but cool enough I though I'd share. Some absolutely beautiful country over there. Kind of makes me wish for a visit with the PR at :50 and Paella/Beer at 7:16.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
How come many foreign air forces bought the F-18 vs. say the F-16 or some delta-winged Eurotrash? I would have thought carrier requirements made it "less able" on paper?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
How come many foreign air forces bought the F-18 vs. say the F-16 or some delta-winged Eurotrash? I would have thought carrier requirements made it "less able" on paper?

Two engines and the F-16A didn't carry a radar missile. There's also a heck of a lot behind the deal with incentives and price that may negate what that country's AF often wanted.