• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreign exchange pilots on USN Aircraft Carriers

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
We routinely have foreign exchange pilots fly in fleet squadrons in the Harrier community. Probably 2/3 of the squadrons have 1, or even 2. I've served with Italian, Spanish, RAF, and RN Harrier guys in the squadron. They have even deployed with us. They're great to have, as the other nations typically send some of their best and brightest and they add a lot to the squadron.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
When you say they went on deployment with you, were they actually allowed to fly combat missions with US forces?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If they happen to be attached when combat happens, then they fly with US forces, as do our pilots assigned with them.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If they happen to be attached when combat happens, then they fly with US forces, as do our pilots assigned with them.

I always thought that it could create a political issue and thus the exchange pilot would have to sit that one out, as in American on exchange in Israel flys a strike against the Iranians and now Al Jazeera is broadcasting all over the world that the Americans are fighting in Iran... Are sensitive situations like that fictitious one just kept real hush hush, or we just haven't had an issue like that yet?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you say they went on deployment with you, were they actually allowed to fly combat missions with US forces?

Only if the exchange pilot's country allows it. There was a Marine Harrier pilot attached to one of the RN squadrons before the Falklands War, he was not allowed to leave with them when they went off to war, we were officially neutral in the conflict.

This would probably be the same in any conflict with exchange officers. If German guys were attached to US units that took part in OIF, I doubt they would have been allowed to fly combat missions due to their country's objection to the conflict.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
^^What he said. VMA-311 had a UK exchange guy with them during OIF1. One of my buds flew in OEF with the Italians, and another flew GR9s with the Brits during OIF1 as well. You have to stay on the side of your country. If your host nation and the US agree officially/diplomatically withe conflict in question, then you're good to go (basically). There's a lot of diplomatic paperwork and SOFA stuff to deal with.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...

Not USN, but Dutch F-16 pilots are on exchange with USAF and to the best of my knowledge are flying in Afghanistan. Back in the 80's a Canuck flew in my dad's RF-4C squadron.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We left our foreigners on the beach -- they didn't go on cruise w/ us. Most were retained in the RAG or rolled to another squadron that was doing their CONUS turnaround.

The Black Lions did not have a RN F-4 driver w/ them in the 1974-ish time frame, at least not on cruise. Perhaps in the back seat ... I might not remember that one -- but not in the front seat as I would have waived 'em.

The foreigners CQ'ed and did everything else w/ us -- they just didn't go onto the tip of the spear and deploy. Not too jolly good to have a Brit going "downtown" into Haiphong harbor w/ a Brit freighter riding at anchor there ... or be rigging a Rooskie warship low & fast while a Brit B/N sits in the right seat, yea-as??? :)

I don't know when the "policy" of allowing foreigners (NOT USAF, however "foreign" they might seem at times :D) to deploy w/ combat squadrons started ... but it was not in place in the 60's-70's in my experience.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Only if the exchange pilot's country allows it. There was a Marine Harrier pilot attached to one of the RN squadrons before the Falklands War, he was not allowed to leave with them when they went off to war, we were officially neutral in the conflict.

Sorry. Just speaking from my knowledges. I know 46 sqdns had RN pilots fly with them, and I know a Marine who flew OIF in RN H-3s.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, foreigners can fly combat with US units if their country is also involved in hostilities. Likewise US pilots with foreign units. A Marine helo guy got a Brit DFC flying with them during OIF I.
queenspresentationchesadl8.jpg

Tom Adams (American E-2 NFO) died in a midair between two RN Sea King AEWs off Ark Royal in the NAG about the same time.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
We had a Canadian pilot in HS-15 when I was there. That would be 1984-87. One rotated out and was replaced with another. They deployed with us on Indy and Forrestal.

badger16

None
Anyone know what kind of programs are out there for a foreign exchange to Australia? Does the Navy send pilots/Fo's over for the P-3 and Hornet? That would be a pretty sweet gig.